2018 New Music

the wonderwhy

On 31/03/2018 at 12:39 AM, dentalplan said:

Virtue hasn’t really hit my expectations (yet). I love Tyranny so I’ve been excited for this album for a while but it doesn’t seem to execute as many of its ideas, and it’s a bit of a hodgepodge compared. I remember Tyranny taking its time to properly click though so I’ll keep going with it.

Vaccines have upped their game by the way. The album I hoped English Graffiti would be. You given it a spin @Mardy?

Yeah, i quite like it. Way better than the last one, not quite as good as the second one. I like ‘em for what they do, hook-laden guitar pop. They’ve got now, after 4 albums, enough cracking singles for a hellagood ‘best of’

2 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Haven't listened to the new Vaccines album but it's better than the latest Titus Andronicus and Arcade Fire albums and more enjoyable than standing through half of Hinds' 2016 Glasto set. Cheers.

you liked the ezra furman record tho so

1 hour ago, Mouseboy11 said:

I was always under the impression The Wonder Years were just another pop punk band a bit like The Story So Far. I've never actually listened to them, are they good then?

They're certainly better than your average pop/punk act but I struggle to get the massive hype over them, but maybe that's just because I've generally grown out of most pop/punk. I've thought each of their albums was nice enough on a listen through (including the new one) but never felt much urge to go back.

2 hours ago, priest17 said:

Finally got round that Voidz album, we can pretty much do away with The Strokes at this point right? I was beaming when I first heard Wink.

After three listens I now think I was probably a bit hasty the other day saying it's better than Little Dark Age, but man it is good. I've had the same reaction to Wink, I can't stop listening to it. It's not making me write off The Strokes but yeah I'm not in as much of a  rush to get them back now, and I'll be up for going down to London to see The Voidz if that's all they do over here. 

I like to think that the Future Present Past EP from The Strokes implies they'll 100% be returning. 

2 hours ago, priest17 said:

Finally got round that Voidz album, we can pretty much do away with The Strokes at this point right? I was beaming when I first heard Wink.

That’s like the second-most Strokesy song on the album. Why would that make you wanna do away with The Strokes? That (with cleaner production) and particularly Leave It In My Dreams woulda been better suited to the next Strokes LP imo. That new AHJ album gives me hope for a new Strokes album too, he’s still got tunes in him.

Alright, you got me guys, I like a bit of hyperbole on the way home from work. Good album though.

Weren't there bare albums released on Friday? I feel like I've missed some. They're not new but on Sunday the label Ty Segall is on came to an agreement with Spotify so all of his and Wand's albums are there now, all of them worth checking out if any of you haven't before.

6 hours ago, Mouseboy11 said:

I was always under the impression The Wonder Years were just another pop punk band a bit like The Story So Far. I've never actually listened to them, are they good then?

They're absolutely brilliant. Start with The Greatest Generation. Listen to it start to finish. 

3 hours ago, dentalplan said:

That’s like the second-most Strokesy song on the album. Why would that make you wanna do away with The Strokes? That (with cleaner production) and particularly Leave It In My Dreams woulda been better suited to the next Strokes LP imo. That new AHJ album gives me hope for a new Strokes album too, he’s still got tunes in him.

Yeah the best songs on it are basically just strokes songs with funny production. In the best way though because they're way better than the most recent Strokes stuff.