2018 New Music

the wonderwhy

On 04/02/2018 at 12:58 PM, Mash011 said:

Waiting on that Ezra Furman leak. Any day now... 

On 04/02/2018 at 4:05 PM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Definitely getting a feeling of foreboding that Ezra Furman hasn't upped their game.

On first listen to the new tracks I thought 'meh' too.  But having heard them a few times now they are growing fast, and I reckon they could work just fine as part of a new album.

Or maybe I'm just trying to convince myself as I'm seeing him at the Lexington tonight...

17 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

On first listen to the new tracks I thought 'meh' too.  But having heard them a few times now they are growing fast, and I reckon they could work just fine as part of a new album.

Or maybe I'm just trying to convince myself as I'm seeing him at the Lexington tonight...

I reviewed it (here if you like: https://brightonsfinest.com/html/index.php/music/3304-ezra-furman-transangelic-exodus), and it's fantastic. Takes a few listens, but it's a remarkably complex record, but still keeps up with the 'indie bangers'. 

1 hour ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Saw him last night and the new stuff is all good :)

3 hours ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Been obsessed with Love You So Bad and Suck the Blood From My Wound from the second they dropped tbh. One of my most anticipated records at the moment.

Congratulations > Oracular Spectacular >>> Little Dark Age >>>>>>>>> MGMT. Probs.

I reckon LDA is about an 8/10. But my last few listens have been without the 3 singles cos I'd overplayed them a bit, so if anything I'm probably being a little bit harsh as I feel like I'm taking those (really good) songs for granted.

Franz Ferdinand have released a cover of Shut Up Kiss Me (one of the best songs of the last couple of years) so I thought that sounded like it might be interesting considering I'm digging their new stuff, but it's the same song only with vocals that don't suit it so don't waste your time on that. I managed 40 seconds of it.

Continued thoughts on Transangelic Exodus as I continue to listen to it this evening - it reminds me a lot of the Ezra Furman & the Harpoons record 'Mysterious Power,' it's got a few big pop bangers (Suck the Blood, Love You So Bad, I Lost My Innocence) but a lot of it's much more atmospheric and focused on the storytelling. The concept album angle definitely suits him, and the tracks are all great just don't go in expecting the front to back bangers you got on his last couple.

Anyway, since I don't think this was posted yet, Unknown Mortal Orchestra announced their new album 'Sex and Food' out April 6th.

a1670797621_16.jpg

1. A God Called Hubris
  2. Major League Chemicals
  3. Ministry of Alienation
  4. Hunnybee
  5. Chronos Feasts on His Children
  6. American Guilt 
  7. The Internet of Love (That Way)
  8. Everyone Acts Crazy Nowadays
  9. This Doomsday
  10. How Many Zeros
  11. Not in Love We’re Just High
  12. If You’re Going to Break Yourself

Good track names tbh.

Really enjoyed Ezra's album, looking forward to getting into it more and wrapping my head round the concept better but as a collection of songs I'm into it. Liked the Franz Ferdinand album as well, they know what they're doing. Doesn't top any of their earlier work (something something not upped game) but it's a nice step in their direction.

Winner of the day so far though goes to Sunflowers, it's basically Portugal's answer to Oh Sees (to put it lightly) but it's a really great listen, good walking round with a leather jacket on music. Not seen them listed on any of the releases lists so thought I'd give them a shoutout on here, well worth a go and the full albums here https://thesunflowersmusic.bandcamp.com/album/castle-spell-2

I'm really enjoying the new Franz Ferdinand album too. I've not tried to for yeeaaarrs so it might be different now, but I could never be arsed getting through a full album of theirs back when they were big, but this is great.

The new Brian Fallon album is certainly a Brian Fallon album too, so if you like any of his old stuff or The Gaslight Anthem it's worth a spin.

Black Panther was a bit hit and miss for me on first listen but will reserve judgement for now. I said To Pimp A Butterfly was shit initially so I won't be too hasty again with something Mr Lamar is involved with.