Talking Heads

ivan

26 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

a major promoter has told me he tried for Byrne for next summer but missed out on him.

So it definitely looks like someone has him, but i don't know who. My guesses would be EotR, Bestival, and (probably the most likely) WOMAD.

green man would be in the mix as well i reckon. Maybe field day if he is playing primavera?

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

green man would be in the mix as well i reckon. Maybe field day if he is playing primavera?

Green man I could see, tho I do think it's unlikely. Less so Field Day, as it's not their normal thing and is a bit of a risk as a ticket selling draw for that; he fits Lovebox better.

I still think womad is most likely.

8 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Weird. Johnny Cash was well trendy for the rock kids when I was a teenager, and most of the kids was rock kids. Probably on account of his late-career renaissance, NIN cover, and Walk The Line film. 

I think his first Rick Rubin album was out by that point but his McConaissance hasn't really kicked in.

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

a major promoter has told me he tried for Byrne for next summer but missed out on him.

So it definitely looks like someone has him, but i don't know who. My guesses would be EotR, Bestival, and (probably the most likely) WOMAD.

Not sure if he would really suit Bestival's demographic anymore, I would imagine he would command quite a prominent place on the lineup. Would be great though!

You would have to say WOMAD seems the best fit, he would be a good ticket shifter for them on an exclusive as well.

2 minutes ago, jackarmy said:

Not sure if he would really suit Bestival's demographic anymore, I would imagine he would command quite a prominent place on the lineup. Would be great though!

i'm not thinking he really fits bestival's demographic, but Rob has a habit of booking bands who don't just because it's a band he likes.

2 minutes ago, jackarmy said:

You would have to say WOMAD seems the best fit, he would be a good ticket shifter for them on an exclusive as well.

him and Peter Gabriel are mates, too.

10 minutes ago, majormajormajor said:

Strongly disagree with that. Lovebox attracts a very basic crowd.

fairy nuff. I was thinking that because it's not shy of booking 'heritage' acts now and then, which where I was thinking DB would fit in.

I'm rather stunned at how much extra interest in him there is now to 5 years ago - particularly when he's not really done anything in that time to get the attention.

21 hours ago, eFestivals said:

fairy nuff. I was thinking that because it's not shy of booking 'heritage' acts now and then, which where I was thinking DB would fit in.

I'm rather stunned at how much extra interest in him there is now to 5 years ago - particularly when he's not really done anything in that time to get the attention.

agree. huge talking heads fan but never even listened to his solo stuff.

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Tom Tom Club really weren't very good at Glasto were they?  I mean compared to this adrenaline filled, funky energetic brilliant performance.

That was my third time of seeing TTC. It was the best i've seen them, even tho it was a more-stripped-back band.
(as far as I'm aware, this was their 6th UK gig in the last 30+ years).

I'm a big fan, but they're not the best live act in the world and each time i've seen them they've been short of slick. They're not a full-time working band, tho, more of a long-standing husband/wife-hobby-project.

The first album is worth having for the famous songs, and 'The Good the Bad and the Funky' is very decent.

5 hours ago, eFestivals said:

That was my third time of seeing TTC. It was the best i've seen them, even tho it was a more-stripped-back band.
(as far as I'm aware, this was their 6th UK gig in the last 30+ years).

I'm a big fan, but they're not the best live act in the world and each time i've seen them they've been short of slick. They're not a full-time working band, tho, more of a long-standing husband/wife-hobby-project.

The first album is worth having for the famous songs, and 'The Good the Bad and the Funky' is very decent.

I said hello to them after the gig....did my usual embarrassing starstruck fan idiocy...

TTC.jpg

• Upvote 1

i met chris and tina after a gig in Camden in around 2003. Jarvis Cocker too, who'd gone to see them (Jarvis took my pic with Chris; never employ Jarvis as a photographer :P).

21 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Is there a video? I think I've heard Stop Making Sense as an album, but it's the visual aspect in combination with the music that really impressed me.

nope, no vid. 

But the music is better than SMS, which is much too 80s in its production.

On 1/6/2018 at 10:08 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

Tom Tom Club really weren't very good at Glasto were they?  I mean compared to this adrenaline filled, funky energetic brilliant performance.

I really loved their set in fact, one of the highlights of 2013 for me, but each to their own! :)