Arcadia - London

Dukeicon

2 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Hard to imagine the spider not being there. Those flames just seem part of the furniture now, although every year lots of people suggest that Arcadia needs to do something new. 

maybe move the whole thing to the dance village, create something new there. take away all the traffic to the naughty corner 

I think this is a good move. I saw the spider at my first Glasto in 2017 and it blew my socks off. But unless somebody I was very interested in seeing was playing I would be staying away from Arcadia next year.

I can imagine that many people have seen the spider in the past years since it was added and after seeing it once haven't returned to see it. Changing the spider will attract people there to see what's new. 

While that spider is insane and amazing, I'm looking forward to seeing what changes they bring... 

• Upvote 1

As much as I bloody loved that Spider and always look forward to partying at Arcadia, I'm equally excited to see what they come up with.

As long as it has fire, lasers and a quality line up, I'll be a happy man.

I wonder if it will remain in the current location or if it will move to the Dance Village?  Moving it there would ease (or at least slow down) the congestion to the SEC as it would take longer to hop from Arcadia to the SEC.   On the other hand, having in the Dance Village will most likely pack it out even more so than it already is.

Either way, exciting stuff! 

1 hour ago, Kinkyinuit said:

As much as I bloody loved that Spider and always look forward to partying at Arcadia, I'm equally excited to see what they come up with.

As long as it has fire, lasers and a quality line up, I'll be a happy man.

I wonder if it will remain in the current location or if it will move to the Dance Village?  Moving it there would ease (or at least slow down) the congestion to the SEC as it would take longer to hop from Arcadia to the SEC.   On the other hand, having in the Dance Village will most likely pack it out even more so than it already is.

Either way, exciting stuff! 

it might mean that people don't use it as a route to get somewhere else though .. thus giving it a bit of character 

1 hour ago, D-Low said:

Looking forward to its evolution. We all know it's going to be something worthwhile if they're confident to not bring their original set-up. Will be sad to not show the landing show to any first comers in our group next year though. 

This. Absolutely gutted.

Hope what they come up with is brilliant though. 

22 hours ago, fatyeti24 said:

The Spider in its current form has been there since 2013, and in its current location since 2014 so it's not really a long standing part of the festival.

I think 2009 was the last year of Afterburner and 2010 the first year of the spider.

On 11/15/2018 at 1:43 PM, kalifire said:

Hard to imagine the spider not being there. Those flames just seem part of the furniture now, although every year lots of people suggest that Arcadia needs to do something new. 

Arcadia hasn't always meant the spider, but it has always involved fire. There will be flames..

37 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

You're right, but the Spider had a stage as part of the set up previously.  It was only possible to walk underneath it when it was moved out of the SE corner.

Ah right... I see what you are saying. 

I wonder what's coming next!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Just now, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

"Vast new project taking shape at Glastonbury that will lay the foundations for a new site-specific landscape and an evolving show in the sky over the next five years. Arcadia's priority must be to honour the support that Glastonbury have shown over this past decade"

Full Cancellation Statement from the Facebook Event.

After planning for last year’s Arcadia 10th anniversary event to be a one off celebration, we received such strong feedback that we hoped to creatively evolve the event for a second year with a host of innovative new performance elements.

As we stand, we aren’t confident of hitting the targets that would allow us to develop that new experience and the pressures of a difficult market would risk serious knock on effects to Arcadia’s other commitments; especially Glastonbury. Taking these factors into consideration, it is with great regret that Arcadia London will not be going ahead in 2019

A vast new project is taking shape at Glastonbury that will lay the foundations for a new site-specific landscape and an evolving show in the sky over the next five years. Arcadia’s priority must be to honour the support that Glastonbury have shown over this past decade.

Huge thanks to Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park for helping make last year so special – and for being so understanding and supportive this year.

We're sorry if we've let anyone down. We have made this decision now to minimise impact. The London festival has ceased to trade and we have spoken with all ticket outlets who will be processing refunds. Please contact the outlet through which you purchased your tickets if you have any specific questions.

Huge thanks for all your support. LWE look forward to welcoming you to one of their other London events and Arcadia will be announcing 2019 international tour dates soon

Arcadia and LWE

Fair play to them providing the statement and explaining their priorities.

6 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

The "vast new project taking shape at Glastonbury" is exciting news

Making me even more gutting not being able to make it this year. Hopefully get along for 2020 to experience this.