Pohoda festival 2018

muflon

Hi, I would like to open a thread for Pohoda festival 2018. It's the most popular open-air multicultural event in Slovakia. Which will be held for the 22nd time from Thursday 5 July to Saturday 7 July 2018. Beside alternative, indie, electronic, world music, punk and classical music you can find also a lot of literature, dance, visual art, film and theatre events.

Beside concerts there are man attractions and whole airport area is beautifully decorated with contemporary art, flags, pianos, sunflowers etc. Growing number of foreigners attend this festival, all the announcements and information are provided in English and most of the festival attendants speak English. Festival is really cheap if you compare it to Western festivals or even festivals in Poland or Austria. You only have to pay the ticket price, camping, showers and other facilities are free. Beer costs around 1.3€ and a meal 3€-5€. Specific thing is that festival area runs all the time from Thursday afternoon until Sunday morning and is connected with camping area so there is enough time to discover all the attractions without much walking. Festival is family friendly and there are many people with their children on site.

Ticket price is 89€ with the camping included. This price lasts until about beginning of month May, after that it changes to 99€. Tickets and accommodation can be bought at https://www.pohodafestival.sk/en/tickets

Capacity of the festival is 30 000 people and it was sold out before the festival started in recent years.
There will also be an option to buy pre-set tent, cottage or hotel room later.
The closest airports to Pohoda are in Bratislava or Vienna then you’ll take train or bus to Trencin or Brno airport in Czech republic and then you’ll take bus to Trencin.
If you have any questions don't hesitate to post in this thread. I’m just a fan of this festival and I would like if more people invite Pohoda and could feel the great atmosphere it has.

More information you can find on festival’s
FB: https://www.facebook.com/pohoda.festival
YT: https://www.youtube.com/user/FestivalPohoda/videos

Pohoda 2017
Solange, alt-J, M.I.A., Ylvis, Birdy, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Jake Bugg, Boys Noize, Rodrigo y Gabriela, Slowdive, Future Islands, Squarepusher, London Elektricity Big Band, Benjamin Clementine, Thurston Moore, Mark Lanegan, Dillon, Beardyman, Slaves, Sleaford Mods, Austra, Machinedrum, Movits!, Mykki Blanco, Beak>, IDLES , TOMM¥ €A$H...

Pohoda 2016
The Prodigy, Sigur Rós, PJ Harvey, James Blake, Flying Lotus, DJ Shadow, Róisín Murphy, Parov Stelar, The Vaccines, Nina Kraviz, Gogol Bordello, Savages, ODESZA, Nederlands Dans Theater, Poliça, Dub Pistols, Thundercat, Lola Marsh, Public Service Broadcasting, Astronautalis, Anna Meredith, Ho99o9, Mbongwana Star, Pohoda 2016 festival review from virtual festivals - 9/10 Pohoda 2015 Björk, Manu Chao, Franz Ferdinand & Sparks, of Montreal, CocoRosie, Eagles of Death Metal, Die Antwoord, Einsturzende Neubauten, Tom Vek, A-Trak, Darkstar, Tiken Jah Fakoly, Young Fathers, Roni Size & Reprazent, OFF!, Ibeyi, Kaytranada, Hybrid Minds, Omar Souleyman, Koven, Beardyman, Turbowolf, Kate Tempest, Fat White Family… Pohoda 2015 festival review from virtual festivals - 10/10

Kraftwerk, Travis, Suede, Kelis, Disclosure, Moderat, Goldfrapp, Tame Impala, Mogwai, Band of Skulls, Tricky, Seasick Steve, Azealia Banks, Mount Kimbie, tUnE-yArDs, Preservation Hall Jazz Band, The Afghan Whigs, Mr. Scruff, Modeselektor, Brandt Brauer Frick, East India Youth, Lucy Rose, Juana Molina, Gilles Peterson, Chinawoman, Deap Vally....

Atoms for Peace, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, The Smashing Pumpkins, Bloc Party, Kaiser Chiefs, Justice, Kate Nash, Bonobo, Peaches, Buena Vista Social Club, Major Lazer, Quantic, SBTRKT, Diplo, Youth Lagoon, Django Django, iamamiwhoami...
Pohoda 2013 festival review from virtual festivals - 9/10

I really like the look of this festival and I'm keen to see Slovakia (especially Bratislava) so considering this for next summer. Who else do you think will play? Chance of Nine Inch Nails? LCD Soundsystem? Bjork? (probably too soon for her to return). 

Also, is there a supermarket etc. within walking distance? I suppose beer and stuff is cheap enough for it to not be that necessary 

10 hours ago, the wonderwhy said:

I really like the look of this festival and I'm keen to see Slovakia (especially Bratislava) so considering this for next summer. Who else do you think will play? Chance of Nine Inch Nails? LCD Soundsystem? Bjork? (probably too soon for her to return). 

Also, is there a supermarket etc. within walking distance? I suppose beer and stuff is cheap enough for it to not be that necessary 

The festival is 1,5h train ride from Bratislava and it will send you back 6 euro. You can also continue with the train to see Tatra Mountains if you would be interested.

There is beautiful medieval castle overlooking the festival area so you can see Slovakia in many ways.

Bjork definitely isn’t coming back for this year, it's too soon but NIN are good fit for the festival they were suggested couple times before and they should be around so there is a decent chance to see them.

Sadly LCD soundsystem aren´t very popular in Slovakia, sadly because I´m huge fan. Last year a similar size festival in Czech Republic tried to book them but they were too expensive so they didn´t come in the end. But St. Vincent isn´t cheap or popular so you never know. I would expect mid-size bands from Spanish festivals like Madcool or NOS alive, because this year they are happening one week before Pohoda. It won´t sell out soon so wait until like end of January when the lineup starts shaping up.

There is shopping center in walking distance or Trencin city center accessible in like 15min by bus or taxi for like 5 euro where you can find everything. But you can buy groceries, fruits and everything you need except hard liquor in the area, there is also bakery every year. Few years ago there was a small Tesco store built in the festival area but they are no longer a sponsor. I also suggest you to buy a prep itched tent when it comes to sale it's cheaper than buying extra airplane luggage and much more comfortable than carrying your own.

12 hours ago, muflon said:

The festival is 1,5h train ride from Bratislava and it will send you back 6 euro. You can also continue with the train to see Tatra Mountains if you would be interested.

There is beautiful medieval castle overlooking the festival area so you can see Slovakia in many ways.

Bjork definitely isn’t coming back for this year, it's too soon but NIN are good fit for the festival they were suggested couple times before and they should be around so there is a decent chance to see them.

Sadly LCD soundsystem aren´t very popular in Slovakia, sadly because I´m huge fan. Last year a similar size festival in Czech Republic tried to book them but they were too expensive so they didn´t come in the end. But St. Vincent isn´t cheap or popular so you never know. I would expect mid-size bands from Spanish festivals like Madcool or NOS alive, because this year they are happening one week before Pohoda. It won´t sell out soon so wait until like end of January when the lineup starts shaping up.

There is shopping center in walking distance or Trencin city center accessible in like 15min by bus or taxi for like 5 euro where you can find everything. But you can buy groceries, fruits and everything you need except hard liquor in the area, there is also bakery every year. Few years ago there was a small Tesco store built in the festival area but they are no longer a sponsor. I also suggest you to buy a prep itched tent when it comes to sale it's cheaper than buying extra airplane luggage and much more comfortable than carrying your own.

Thank you Muflon :) 

I thought that would be the case with Bjork but good to hear about Nine Inch Nails- I'll keep my fingers crossed (and for LCD Soundsytem too :P). 

The past lineups look great (especially 2011) and there are plenty of acts around who look like they'd fit - Beck, Iggy Pop, Patti Smith, Massive Attack, Warpaint, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - so looks promising. 

I'll have a look at the pre-pitched tents though I think I might combine this with some traveling (I really want to see Slovenia and down towards the Balkans) in which case I'd probably be taking hold luggage anyway. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, offmytrolley said:

What is the festival like after the main stages finish, are there areas playing electronic music for most of the night?

Hi, yes there are at least 3 big stages and few smaller playing electronic music / techno / drum’n’base until 5am when there is greeting of the sun at the main stage, which is the last concert of the day. First concert starts around noon. Before that there are discussions, theatre and other program. This is how last years program looked:

https:///s/pohoda2007/

• 5 weeks later...

Lineup so far:

The Chemical Brothers, St. Vincent, Danny Brown, Glass Animals, Ziggy Marley, Fink, Aurora, Helena Hauff, Ross From Friends, Jessie Ware, Jamie Cullum, Riot Days by Pussy Riot Theatre, BadBadNotGood, Little Dragon, Ride, Rodriguez, Blossoms, La Femme, Knower, SOJA, Kronos Quartet, El Gust, Calexico , Idiotape, Charlie Winston, Sophie, Scouting for Girls, This Is The Kit, Confidence Man, Jade Bird, Bazzookas, Reykjavíkurdætur, Daniel Brandt and Eternal Something, Zeal & Ardor, KillASon, Donny Benét, Re-TROS, Coals, Mitch & Mitch, Rebel Babel, Lucidvox, Housewives, Ifriqiyya Électrique, Schnellertollermeier 

• 3 months later...