Hugh Jass

Album of the Year 2017

11 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Melodrama is only a couple of months less new than POP2.

"New" in this case actually being a small handful of trends picked up by subcultures in major western cities right now. It's all personal taste and perception really. You could probably be selective the other way around, most of Charli's sound palette is consciously plucked from a specific time and place about 15 - 20 years ago; could probably go through Melodrama and pick out a bunch of arbitrary reasons why it's actually way more original if you could be arsed.

History won't remember either of them anywhere near as kindly as Kasabian anyway.

I'm probably being unfair on Melodrama, a lot of people I know liked it, it's just that, a few tracks aside, it doesn't do all that much for me. I certainly don't find it anywhere near as ambitious, or as strange, or as thrilling as Pop 2 and its mad dash in search of unmediated experience among the hyperreal kaleidoscope (most overused word when describing music ever?) PC Music have built for it.

Can we both agree that Sleep Well Beast is definitely not the album of the year?

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Winslow Leach said:

I'm probably being unfair on Melodrama, a lot of people I know liked it, it's just that, a few tracks aside, it doesn't do all that much for me. I certainly don't find it anywhere near as ambitious, or as strange, or as thrilling as Pop 2 and its mad dash in search of unmediated experience among the hyperreal kaleidoscope (most overused word when describing music ever?) PC Music have built for it.

Can we both agree that Sleep Well Beast is definitely not the album of the year?

Can you cry all night to POP2 though?

Sleep Well beast is the album of the year. The forum has spoken.

<Bangs gavel>

Edited by Hugh Jass

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Sleep Well beast is the album of the year. The forum has spoken.

<Bangs gavel>

The forum likes Coldplay and voted for the Nazis. You can’t trust the forum.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

The forum likes Coldplay and voted for the Nazis. You can’t trust the forum.

SuperPlans

10 minutes ago, priest17 said:

SuperPlans

You get a plan, Priest, and we could be men with plen.

• Like 1

Realised even more today that A Deeper Understanding should defo have been on my list. Brockhampton would have made it too if I'd listened to them last year.

giphy.gif

Edited by Odessa

12 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Though not as huge a mistake as the people who spent 2017 listening to Sleep Well Beast.

A seminal work by band of the year, Man Feelings. Cos they're all men, with feelings, in a band. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The Ribbon Tower up at The Park has shrunk a bit.

Shrunk... in James Holden's washing machine of sound...

Blimey, I was at school with James Holden, thought he was a plasterer now, no idea he was shrinking towers.

3 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Blimey, I was at school with James Holden, thought he was a plasterer now, no idea he was shrinking towers.

Shrinking Towers is either a euphemism for some kind of filth or the hottest indie revival band of 2018.