Sound City 2018

Rose-Colored Boy

• 1 month later...

Hardly an exhaustive list but I've been slowly making my way through the Spotify playlist and made brief notes. 

Strictly my own notes ('*' are of particular interest to me) but thought I'd share if they help anyone else. 

Baxter Dury
IDLES* - Punk/Post-Punk
The Night Café - Misc Indie
JAWS* - Shoegaze
Black Honey*
No Hot Ashes - Like a budget Everything Everything
PLAZA* - Shoegaze/Indie
Zuzu?
The RPMs
HAARM - Like All We Are
Benny Mills - Lofi Rap
Chelou? - Ambient Lofi
King Nun* - Placebo/Pixies/Nirvana
Hanover - 80s Indie/Talking Heads/Franz Ferdinand
Lucia - 90s Rock
Marsicans*
Modern Strangers - like nzca lines
Wye Oak* - Bit like Beach House/Bat for Lashes
Dana Scout - like howling bells
Park Hotel - shit friendly fires
Sorry** - Bit grunge with cockney croaker. Decent placebo.
The Oreilles - Ok indie/surf rock
The Bohos - Big 80s sound throwback indie
Fine Creatures - Like a calm/shit soundgarden
Youngblud - Shit early Arctics Monkeys
Vundabar* - 90s Rock/Pixies/LA Shark hectic style
Night Flight* - Jeff Buckley song structure/chord progressions
Olympia - Ok - Female indie pop
Hockey Dad* - Feeder if Feeder were good
# DropkickMan* - Absolute Irony Grime (actually quite enjoyable)
Geowolf - Ok - cross between Kero Kero Bonito & Stealing Sheep
Otzeki* - Like Hot Chip mixed with Bonobo
Husky Loops* - Interesting use of melody, sounds like Chris Martin and Ninetails

Have ended up getting a free ticket for this. Not arsed about most of the lineup but might pop down for a few acts at least (or possibly just Wye Oak and Idles). Will have to have a scan through the lineup and see if there's anything else worth catching. Would've quite liked to have seen Jaws but have just seen that they pulled out which is a shame.

edit: oh wait Wye Oak and Idles are on at the same time. Fantastic.

Edited by FloorFiller

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Have ended up getting a free ticket for this. Not arsed about most of the lineup but might pop down for a few acts at least (or possibly just Wye Oak and Idles). Will have to have a scan through the lineup and see if there's anything else worth catching. Would've quite liked to have seen Jaws but have just seen that they pulled out which is a shame.

edit: oh wait Wye Oak and Idles are on at the same time. Fantastic.

Average Sex are quite cool. And Indoor Pets used to be Get Inuit who used to be quite good (as far as I remember). 

I'd recommend The Orielles, too, but they're on at the same time as Idles. 

Heading up for this with my gf tomorrow. Can't ever remember being so unfamiliar with a festival line-up but it'll be good to see some new acts so cheers for the recommendations! 

Quite annoying that the 4 I'm most familiar with are all clashing though (IDLES / Wye Oak and Yellow Days / Superorganism).

Will definitely go to Wye Oak... does anyone know how big the venue is? I want to make sure we don't get turned away! 

Only ended up seeing 4 bands at this - whoever opened for Wye Oak who were alright, Wye Oak were great although I was pretty hammered by the time they came on so it's a little hazy, and then saw half of Peace yesterday who were pretty good but then left to go see Superorganism based on people on here's reviews of their live shows and they were great - a lot of fun!

Honestly I don't really see where the value for money was with the lineup this year as they stuck all the good/big acts on at the same time at the end of the night, but I thought the venues worked really well and I hope with it apparently selling out they can get a more impressive lineup together next year (or maybe just something more to my taste I guess as I'm sure others enjoyed the lineup lest it wouldn't have sold out). 

16 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Honestly I don't really see where the value for money was with the lineup this year as they stuck all the good/big acts on at the same time at the end of the night, but I thought the venues worked really well and I hope with it apparently selling out they can get a more impressive lineup together next year (or maybe just something more to my taste I guess as I'm sure others enjoyed the lineup lest it wouldn't have sold out). 

Well I think a lot of people go to these kinda things (Live at Leeds and Neighbourhood inclusive) because it’s just a day hopping around venues drinking and watching live music without much bother about seeing certain bands. And obviously the newer acts are cheaper to fill out the stages during the day and won’t crowd any of them.