Future Headliners

Steve1000

10 minutes ago, Jericode said:

Have they headlined Bloodstock though?

in the uk they have played reading and leeds (1999), glastonbury (1999,2000,2002,2005,2011,2016),t in the park(2000,2001,2003,2011),isle of wight (2006), v fest ( 2000,2001,2003) bbc radio 1's big weekend (2001,2014,2016) so im going to say no to bloodstock as they are just too big.

Edited by jj200

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/22/2018 at 5:09 PM, jj200 said:

Main Stage

Fri: foals/Shawn Mendes

sat: drake

sun: the 1975/Bastille

radio 1 stage:

Fri: slaves

Sat: nothing but thieves

sun: catfish and the Bottlemen

Agree with foals- could definitely see them returning to headline after their 2 new albums, the first one definitely seems to be a massive hit so far.

Shawn Mendes is way too "pop" for R&L, I really can't see him fitting in with the demographic of people who attend the festival.

Drake I agree could headline, similarly Bastille could definitely get the slot off the back of a new album as they subbed the main stage a couple of year back.

Think Florence & the Machine could definitely headline over the next couple of years, and if Catfish keep growing at the rate they have been, they could definitely be in with a shot of headlining.

As mentioned before, I feel like Chvrches could maybe get a co-headline/headline slot if they release another album. Their new single with Marshmello has massively increased their recognition(their Spotify monthly listeners has jumped to 17.8 million which is huge for them) so I could definitely see them headlining if they keep releasing new singles and maybe push a brand new album.

Although Dua Lipa is quite "pop", she had a huge crowd at last year's festival and actually fit in quite well with the new style of bookings R&L have been heading for recently (IMO), so if she keeps getting bigger and bigger she could definitely be up there to headline in a couple of years time.

Edited by FestivalJamie
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, FestivalJamie said:

Drake I agree could headline, similarly Bastille could definitely get the slot off the back of a new album as they subbed the main stage a couple of year back.

Bastille just got moved down to R1 headliner this year, it would be a bit weird for them to go back up again. Not really sure why they are playing R1 though, even if they have got smaller they will definitely still have a pretty busy tent against Foos Fighters I reckon

It's more of a sideways step than a backwards one if you view that they are a bigger R1 headliner than on the way down. They've only just started teasing the new album, they'll be back to subbing at least next time they come back.

Whether they'll ever make the headliner jump depends on how good the album actually is, of course.

3 hours ago, FestivalJamie said:

Agree with foals- could definitely see them returning to headline after their 2 new albums, the first one definitely seems to be a massive hit so far.

Shawn Mendes is way too "pop" for R&L, I really can't see him fitting in with the demographic of people who attend the festival.

Think Florence & the Machine could definitely headline over the next couple of years, and if Catfish keep growing at the rate they have been, they could definitely be in with a shot of headlining.

As mentioned before, I feel like Chvrches could maybe get a co-headline/headline slot if they release another album. Their new single with Marshmello has massively increased their recognition(their Spotify monthly listeners has jumped to 17.8 million which is huge for them) so I could definitely see them headlining if they keep releasing new singles and maybe push a brand new album.

Although Dua Lipa is quite "pop", she had a huge crowd at last year's festival and actually fit in quite well with the new style of bookings R&L have been heading for recently (IMO), so if she keeps getting bigger and bigger she could definitely be up there to headline in a couple of years time.

Don't even try to analyse JJ please

4 hours ago, Jericode said:

It's more of a sideways step than a backwards one if you view that they are a bigger R1 headliner than on the way down. They've only just started teasing the new album, they'll be back to subbing at least next time they come back.

Whether they'll ever make the headliner jump depends on how good the album actually is, of course.

Why will they be back to subbing after that? Does anyone give a fuck about a new Bastille album? Surely they peaked in 2012 or whenever Pompei came out, they’ve got no chance.

8 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Why will they be back to subbing after that? Does anyone give a fuck about a new Bastille album? Surely they peaked in 2012 or whenever Pompei came out, they’ve got no chance.

I'm quite surprised they moved down to be honest, their song with Marshmello - Happier has way more streams than Pompeii does in way less time. They definitely could have stayed at sub I think and nobody would of batted an eyelid in terms of putting cheaper acts higher up the bill.

1 hour ago, gfa said:

I'm quite surprised they moved down to be honest, their song with Marshmello - Happier has way more streams than Pompeii does in way less time. They definitely could have stayed at sub I think and nobody would of batted an eyelid in terms of putting cheaper acts higher up the bill.

There's way, way, way more spotify users now compared to 2013 when it was released though. 

2 hours ago, Steve1000 said:

There's way, way, way more spotify users now compared to 2013 when it was released though. 

True but 700mil streams on a song isn't really a sign of an act on the way down just yet

31 minutes ago, TKOCF said:

Trying to think of times that an act that has headlined the R1/NME tent then gone on to headline the main. The 1975 this year, Kasabian is the only other one I can think of off the top of my head. 

And they’re both acts who played the NME tent whilst their career was on an upward trajectory, whereas Bastille have been floating around the same size for 6 years now.

Edited by Steve1000