Future Headliners

Steve1000

4 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Wow you're all casting the net pretty wide here. If you've seen the previous threads, most of the acts suggested in those ran out of steam instantly. :lol:

I think The 1975, Twenty One Pilots, Royal Blood and Kendrick Lamar will do it definitely. Add in Slipknot and Florence and the Machine if they count, seeing as they've headlined other majors. The likes of Tame Impala, Chvrches, Wolf Alice, Bring Me the Horizon, Skepta/BBK and Stormzy have a chance if they keep on with the push behind them that they have currently, but they certainly won't all do it. And then that's about it.

Pretty much agree with this. People just seem to be saying random names

3 hours ago, Paulmcm1998 said:

Yeah whether get massive or fall off really just depends on the quality of their next album. If they do R&L next year  I'd expect them to sub 

If they decide to release the same album for the 3rd time in a row I can see (and hope to see) them drop off

Edited by justanothername

I think you are all probably being a little too ... ambitious. 

Dead certs - the 1975, Kendrick, Royal Blood

Probably - Tame, Chvrches, Bring me the Horizon, Florence, BBK/skepta, Stormzy (grime in general)

couple banger album's time - Catfish, Wolf Alice, Blossoms, ASAP ROCKY

Don't count on it - The Wombats, TDCC, Circa Waves, HAIM, Glass Animals

no - The Hunna

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, RedBalloon said:

Could only see HAIM possibly getting there out of these lot. These are the type of acts that would be perfect to headline the NME tent but wouldn't go down too well being higher than 3rd main. Wombats and TDCC were arguably 2 of the best sets I saw in 2016 and their positioning on the lineup was perfect.

HAIM aren't exactly the hardest working band in showbiz either - they haven't toured the UK since March 2014 and afaik still haven't announced a UK tour for the second album.  (I know UK tours aren't the be all and end all, particularly for an American band but their schedule generally seems to be predominantly based on festivals and radio/TV slots).

1 hour ago, RedBalloon said:

I think Circa Waves could make it (and Haim could have if they had done shit off their first album rather than just hiding for 4 years).

The others I mentioned as I think they could all make it to sub positions at some point. (I realise now it was just for headliners but oh well, I mentioned them anyways lol)

58 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I think Circa Waves could make it

Why do you think that? They seem to have stagnated already on the second album. I can't see them ever playing higher up the main stage than they did this year.

15 hours ago, harry5573 said:

The Hunna seems the obvious shout to me

This doesn't seem unreasonable. I think it's way too early to say but they're obviously increasingly popular and they're well thought of enough to have headlined FR this year while still on the upwards trajectory.

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Why do you think that? They seem to have stagnated already on the second album. I can't see them ever playing higher up the main stage than they did this year.

I thought Different Creatures had done really well compared to the first album... I could be wrong tbh

2 hours ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Could only see HAIM possibly getting there out of these lot. These are the type of acts that would be perfect to headline the NME tent but wouldn't go down too well being higher than 3rd main. 

The disaster that was the release of their second album surely makes them obsolete from getting anywhere above 3rd down main I think.

All the bands that I have classed 'Don't count on it' are there because we are talking about headliners here. Not Sub, not NME, not FR. Straight headliners.

33 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

This doesn't seem unreasonable. I think it's way too early to say but they're obviously increasingly popular and they're well thought of enough to have headlined FR this year while still on the upwards trajectory.

Personally I think they're an awful boring band but playing two nights at Brixton on the back of one record would suggest they've got the potential to climb high on the lineup

24 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Hahahaha what on earth

Maybe I was being a little harsh but I’m getting really fed up of people chatting shit about my favourite bands. No one’s forcing anyone to listen to them but there’s no need to be dicks to people over their preferred music.