Future Headliners

Steve1000

Seen there's been threads like this from a few years back, and obviously a lots changed so thought I'd start a new discussion on this.

Most obvious choices are Royal Blood, Florence, Kendrick, BMTH, 1975, all big enough now and definitely posed to step up next time around. 

Assuming grime keeps its popularity, Skepta, BBK and Stormzy are obvious picks. Hip-hop wise Chance I think will make it, maybe Travis Scott also. Drake, Kanye, Jay-Z big enough to do it now but haven't, could get called up at any time. I want to mention RTJ but that's very unlikely. 

Avenged and Slipknot are big enough, but I doubt either will happen unfortunately, especially the former. ADTR should headline Download next time around, I doubt they'll ever headline hear but its possible. Extremely unlikely, but Architects should be able to headline Download in a couple albums time, then if R&L have any bollocks they'd bump them. Aint happening though. Frank Carter I'll mention also but like Architects just won't happen

Catfish I think will die. I'm sure they'd like to push Wolf Alice but I think they need a massive single. Tame Impala likewise. I'll mention Vampire Weekend, but they've most likely stagnated. I'd love it to happen though.

Anyone I've missed?

Edited by Steve1000

2 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Could see Blossoms potentially getting to at least sub level if their next album does as well as the first. Dunno if they'd ever headline, but it's a possibility. Too early to tell with them really.

Could maybe sub but I doubt it. I think they'll fall off as fast as they've come up. I realised I forgot 21P, obvious choices. Creeper not so obvious but fingers crossed

Hmm it's tricky. I still think CHVRCHES can do it at some point. Declan McKenna could make it at some point imo. Heck he is only like 18 years old, and he's exploded so much over the last year. Wouldn't be suprised if Circa Waves kept growing either tbh. Glass Animals maybe too? The xx I think may have peaked but tbh they could be in the same slot as Catfish where they just keep growing even tho they are pretty boring (imo at least)

Two Door CInema Club have had a suprising resergence as have Wombats, if they can both produce good albums I wouldnt suprised to see them get to sub level (sorry, but Gameshow wasnt great imo and the stuff from this new wombats album sounds identical to their last one imo).

Haim I think have missed there chance. I think they could have been the next big thing but they waited too long between the releases and the new album wasn't good enough (given how long it took, if it had come out the year after it would have been fine).

In terms of electronic music Daft Punk are the only people who could do it rn. Think Swedish House Mafia reformation could do it as well.

As long as Garrix doesnt go full pop think he'll eventually make it there, same with Flume. Disclosure can probs make full headliner at some point too. If Skrillex ever releases a good solo song he can probs make it too, and maybe RL Grime eventually tho he may just be too niche. At some point I Could see both Porter Robinson and Madeon getting big enough, but we're a way off that atm. Mura Masa tbh may be able to do it eventually too.

Major Lazer and Jack U I guess too, they always seem to be popular even tho imo they are both pretty crappy live...

Wow you're all casting the net pretty wide here. If you've seen the previous threads, most of the acts suggested in those ran out of steam instantly. :lol:

I think The 1975, Twenty One Pilots, Royal Blood and Kendrick Lamar will do it definitely. Add in Slipknot and Florence and the Machine if they count, seeing as they've headlined other majors. The likes of Tame Impala, Chvrches, Wolf Alice, Bring Me the Horizon, Skepta/BBK and Stormzy have a chance if they keep on with the push behind them that they have currently, but they certainly won't all do it. And then that's about it.

51 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Hmm it's tricky. I still think CHVRCHES can do it at some point. Declan McKenna could make it at some point imo. Heck he is only like 18 years old, and he's exploded so much over the last year. Wouldn't be suprised if Circa Waves kept growing either tbh. Glass Animals maybe too? The xx I think may have peaked but tbh they could be in the same slot as Catfish where they just keep growing even tho they are pretty boring (imo at least)

Two Door CInema Club have had a suprising resergence as have Wombats, if they can both produce good albums I wouldnt suprised to see them get to sub level (sorry, but Gameshow wasnt great imo and the stuff from this new wombats album sounds identical to their last one imo).

Haim I think have missed there chance. I think they could have been the next big thing but they waited too long between the releases and the new album wasn't good enough (given how long it took, if it had come out the year after it would have been fine).

In terms of electronic music Daft Punk are the only people who could do it rn. Think Swedish House Mafia reformation could do it as well.

As long as Garrix doesnt go full pop think he'll eventually make it there, same with Flume. Disclosure can probs make full headliner at some point too. If Skrillex ever releases a good solo song he can probs make it too, and maybe RL Grime eventually tho he may just be too niche. At some point I Could see both Porter Robinson and Madeon getting big enough, but we're a way off that atm. Mura Masa tbh may be able to do it eventually too.

Major Lazer and Jack U I guess too, they always seem to be popular even tho imo they are both pretty crappy live...

Well none of these acts are headlining R&L.

The Wombats ffs.

Could see either Tame Impala or CHVRCHES coheadlining off their next albums.

BBK are a tricky one - if grime keeps up how popular it is right now I could imagine it happening, I think it was dental the other day who said he could see R+L billing it as 'the first grime headliner' or something.

Kendrick is pretty much set now right? It's only a matter of time. As are The 1975.

42 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Well none of these acts are headlining R&L.

The Wombats ffs.

Wasn't neccesarily talking about headlining more about them just climbing up the lineup. TBH wouldnt be suprised if they got pushed up to subbing at some point in the future (heck, libertines rando headlined, I think anyone could randomly comeback bigger)

8 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Wasn't neccesarily talking about headlining more about them just climbing up the lineup. TBH wouldnt be suprised if they got pushed up to subbing at some point in the future (heck, libertines rando headlined, I think anyone could randomly comeback bigger)

Libertines were a lot bigger than all the acts you mentioned (other than ones like Daft Punk that won't headline for different reasons) before they originally split. They also had Pete Doherty who was a constant celebrity presence. They then had a massively hyped reunion in 2010 where they apparently only subbed because of uncertainty about their reliability and where they also apparently got paid more than the headliner they subbed (Arcade Fire). They they had another comeback in 2014 where they sold out Hyde Park, and booking them to headline R&L the following Summer was an obvious booking from the off; we were all predicting it. They may have fallen off since but no one was really doubting their size when they played.

It's a bit different from The Wombats having a slightly surprising amount of interest after coming back from obscurity and headlining the FR Stage.

5 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

Catfish & The Blossomsmen are surely en route to a big slot at R&L in the future? Gotta be a solid bet for Latitude headliner next year.

Yeah whether get massive or fall off really just depends on the quality of their next album. If they do R&L next year  I'd expect them to sub 

Edited by Paulmcm1998