Neighbourhood Weekender 2018

frontsidecab

On 5/21/2018 at 8:49 PM, Samjones said:

Long shot but anyone know how big the site is? Like how long would it take to get from stage three to the main stage?

Had a peek when I went running the other day. Site is pretty small. Smaller than I thought. Stage 1 to 3 will take 5 mins max. 

• Upvote 1

Just got back from a VERY fun weekend up North. Would give this festival a very solid 9/10 with only one major drawback which I’ll get to shortly, with fewer teething problems as you might expect at a brand new festival.

Line up absolutely not for everyone but very popular acts in that part of the world and a lot of bands with very strong cult followings like DMAs, Reverend and the Makers etc. I do question what they’ll do with it next year given they’ve probably exhausted a fairly decent chunk of the active North West music scene but if probably expect Liam Gallagher to slot right into the Sunday headline role his brother played last night. For the Saturday it wouldn’t shock me if they promote Blossoms up to headliner, although maybe Catfish or TDCC are above them in the queue.

Logistically very good. Despite it being very crowded the bar waiting times weren’t too bad at all as they’d hired the appropriate amount of staff. Prices were fairly reasonable at a fiver a pint but I live in London so I’m used to that, maybe others would complain a bit more. Lots of good food options and not too overpriced. 

The only drawback was it was an absolute nightmare trying to get back to our accommodation in Manchester on the Saturday night, so much so that on the Sunday one of our group ended up just being the designated driver and staying sober. Big Green Coach were wanting £26 return per day for Manchester-Warrington with no singles on offer which we initially baulked at as the trains were less than £10    return and they ran late enough. Then it was announced around all the trains were cancelled because of strikes but by this point the coaches were sold out, so we decided to do train there and taxi home which we believed would cost around £40. It ended up taking two hours to get a taxi and when we did it cost £135 between three of us. There were a lot of people a lot younger than me completely stranded with no working phone, nowhere near enough money and hardly any taxis. I don’t doubt there would have been people there all night. Apparently one replacement bus rocked up to take a whole trainload of people home and there’s a video doing the rounds on twitter of a guy literally hanging on to the back of the bus being dragged along the road. I know they can’t help train strikes but getting home was a bit of a shambles all round. Like I say though it’s only a very minor downside on what was a brilliant festival and I’d very much like to be back next year. 

• Upvote 1

Was there just for Sunday. Thought it was way too crowded for the site size, although granted the bar queues were fine. The tent needed to be bigger, too much gridlock!

Sound was also awful during Noel, although it did get better.

Had a fun time, Editors were great! Pigeon Detectives and Beth Ditto good too. 

Only other thing is that I found the crowd a bit nuts... everyone seemed out of it. Not sure if it was just a Northern thing ?

47 minutes ago, Dave said:

Was there just for Sunday. Thought it was way too crowded for the site size, although granted the bar queues were fine. The tent needed to be bigger, too much gridlock!

Sound was also awful during Noel, although it did get better.

Had a fun time, Editors were great! Pigeon Detectives and Beth Ditto good too. 

Only other thing is that I found the crowd a bit nuts... everyone seemed out of it. Not sure if it was just a Northern thing ?

I caught the second half of Pigeon Detectives after the end of the sherlocks set, both of those bands absolutely smashed it. 

Definitely on the Saturday it seemed half the crowd was off their tits. I was a bit scared we’d wake up to some bad news on Sunday but thankfully it doesn’t seem like we did. Sunday less so but perhaps that was because I was too drunk to notice everyone around me anyway. 

It was a cracking weekend and a great start for them. Highlights for me were the Pigeon Detectives, Editors, Miles Kane, the Coral and Reverend & the Makers. 

Totally let down by public transport unfortunately. I didn't book coaches as I had it all planned with the trains. The Chester train on Saturday was cancelled and luckily I managed to share a taxi for only 20 quid. Sunday was better. Got back to Manchester on the train OK but had to leave before Noel started. Shame.

Depending on line-up I'll be back next year and won't think twice about booking a big green coach.

Headliner prediction for next year: Liam one night and the Manics or Stereophonics the other.

Only went on the Sunday but very impressed with everything. Bar queues were fine, the neighbourhood inn was a great little tent and the general vibe was fantastic. I didn't see one bit of bother all day. 

Thought Editors were fantastic in the tent and Noel did what he does. Sound wise, I didn't really see the issue. No different to any other city centre festival i've been. 

It's difficult to blame the organisers for the transport thing. They can't have foreseen the rail strikes and would have had no idea how many were travelling by car, bus or lived local. Granted it was a nightmare for some, but if the trains were running as advertised, there wouldn't have been an issue. 

Great addition culturally for our town and i'm sure a lot of local businesses did great out of it. 

Next year, it'll probably be up to 30,000 a day rather than 25,000. I expect Kasabian will be one of the headliner. No clue on the other. 

• Upvote 1

For the first edition of this festival, there isn't much too moan about. Only slight niggle from me would be it felt rather crowded across the site. Having said that, bars were handled very well and I was never queuing for more than a couple of minutes. 

Noel Gallagher and DMA's were the standouts for me. Magic Gang and Blossoms get better each time I see them. 

I'm going to take a punt at 1975 to headline next year. Maybe alongside Gorillaz? 

Very decent festival. Can't really blame them for the transport issues, was just unfortunate it happened the same weekend.

Blossoms, DMA's, Gerry Cinnamon and Jake Bugg were standouts. Think Blossoms could easily headline in the next couple of years.

Reckon the headliners next year will be Kasabian and LG.

28 minutes ago, Jonesy1 said:

Very decent festival. Can't really blame them for the transport issues, was just unfortunate it happened the same weekend.

Blossoms, DMA's, Gerry Cinnamon and Jake Bugg were standouts. Think Blossoms could easily headline in the next couple of years.

Reckon the headliners next year will be Kasabian and LG.

Think they'd probably have to increase the budget for that to happen. Liam will be at least the same price as Noel, possibly even more given he sold in Finsbury in seconds and is headlining Benicassim, a much bigger festival than this. Courteeners probably my favourite band but this was their first ever headline appearance at a festival so no way they're as big as Kasabian who might be the biggest British band of the last decade or so this side of the Arctic Monkeys.

I'd imagine they'll go down the same route as this year for the Saturday and take a punt on a local band that are approaching headline status and give them their shot, it all points to Blossoms for me. Maybe they'll have to wait one more year since they probably don't have a new album out by this time next year and it'd be weird for them to headline based on the same album they just subbed on, but this isn't Reading or Glasto. Then the Sunday night will be a local area legend, if it's not Liam Gallagher then don't be shocked if it's Ian Brown.

10 hours ago, danz026 said:

Think they'd probably have to increase the budget for that to happen. Liam will be at least the same price as Noel, possibly even more given he sold in Finsbury in seconds and is headlining Benicassim, a much bigger festival than this. Courteeners probably my favourite band but this was their first ever headline appearance at a festival so no way they're as big as Kasabian who might be the biggest British band of the last decade or so this side of the Arctic Monkeys.

I'd imagine they'll go down the same route as this year for the Saturday and take a punt on a local band that are approaching headline status and give them their shot, it all points to Blossoms for me. Maybe they'll have to wait one more year since they probably don't have a new album out by this time next year and it'd be weird for them to headline based on the same album they just subbed on, but this isn't Reading or Glasto. Then the Sunday night will be a local area legend, if it's not Liam Gallagher then don't be shocked if it's Ian Brown.

Ian Brown I can see maybe doing the Courteeners slot but no way the Liam slot.

The rumour around Warrington from people who work close to NBHD is that it is going to be Ian Brown, Catfish, The Kooks and the Wombats. They are trying to get JAMES and LG wants to do it and he will be first reserve for the headliner slot if they can’t get Catfish or Ian. This coming from 3 different people who all have been told the same thing

Edited by gregbanks