Mad Cool 2018

JBarbour

1 minute ago, Bury420 said:

just met the tour manager of Paul Kalkbrenner and he said the backstage organisation at the loop is an absolute nightmare. Nothing working. Maybe Massive Attack were just fed up with it.

Thing is as well, if that is the case and they are trying to make it seem likes Massive Attacks fault, then words surely going to spread that this isn’t a festival to get booked for. Such a shame, personally wasn’t bothered about them and was already on the way home, but waiting 80/90 minutes to be told a shows cancelled is a joke, particularly when I’m sure people went an hour early to make sure they were at the front. 

1 minute ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

Beyond ridiculous, there were no interferences. If there is something this festival is doing well is the sound. Other than that it deserve to burst into flames. 

Fuck me the day I gave up Werchter for this, spending 300 euros for the single day tickets. What a joke.

Sorry you had to wait for that mate, I know I’d be fuming if it had happened to an act I’d wanted to see. Seemed to be getting back on track until this as well, maybe some of that delay was them trying to sort the issues out and get them on, but still no excuse... most festivals know the fans come first and there’s 5,000+ stood outside waiting to know what’s happening 

17 minutes ago, alexlloyd said:

Thing is as well, if that is the case and they are trying to make it seem likes Massive Attacks fault, then words surely going to spread that this isn’t a festival to get booked for. Such a shame, personally wasn’t bothered about them and was already on the way home, but waiting 80/90 minutes to be told a shows cancelled is a joke, particularly when I’m sure people went an hour early to make sure they were at the front. 

It was Massive Attack's fault. Somehow the Loop was running all festival long without some prat deciding he was too special to play... Or even tell the fans the problem.

You think Pearl Jam would have refused to play? Gimme a break. People came to this festival specifically to see Massive Attack. They lost many fans today.

• Downvote 1

Who knows if the festivals statement is accurate.

the loop was amazing yesterday, justice was unreal and one of the best festival sets I’ve ever seen. 

Sound bleed is a nonsense excuse as their was none. As has previously been said the sound has been great all today and yesterday. 

Seriously dissapointed.

Just went and checked MA's twitter. Last post was in March, saying they were withdrawing from Facebook with "In light of FB’s continued disregard for your privacy, their lack of transparency and disregard for accountability".

So I checked their instagram, and they used it yesterday. Instagram is owned by Facebook. :lol:

They're getting a lot of abuse. :lol:

13 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Just went and checked MA's twitter. Last post was in March, saying they were withdrawing from Facebook with "In light of FB’s continued disregard for your privacy, their lack of transparency and disregard for accountability".

So I checked their instagram, and they used it yesterday. Instagram is owned by Facebook. :lol:

They're getting a lot of abuse. :lol:

Yes, yes they are. 'I'm gonna take a shit on your vinyl when I get home' is a favourite 

5 hours ago, Bury420 said:

just met the tour manager of Paul Kalkbrenner and he said the backstage organisation at the loop is an absolute nightmare. Nothing working. Maybe Massive Attack were just fed up with it.

That sounds much more likely.

Im 100% on massive attack’s side here and we haven’t heard their version.

Who do you trust? 

The totally shambolic disorganised  Mad Cool?

Or the band who have been playing reliably, turning up on time (I’ve seen them almost 10 times), and being consistently professional over the last 30 years?

that would be my view too.

Mad Cool have proven themselves to be completely incompetent , and their communication has been either non-existant when it mattered or tone-deaf for the most part.

I wouldn't believe their version of what happened whatsoever.

@Bury420's post about the problems backstage just reinforce my view that Mad Cool aren't to be trusted.

I saw Gold Panda in the loop on Thursday night. Massive technical problems with his laptop not working - updating version etc - but he got on with it gamely. 

Think it’s fair to say that Massive Attack need to get their side of this story out pretty quickly because Mad Cool have stitched them up a right kipper here. 

Almost reminiscent of Hope and Glory’s yoga outburst about Tim Booth last year when he dared to criticise that mess.. 

Nonsense from Massive Attack. Theyve history with this behaviour.

Had a great day yesterday. 2 meals no queues, loads of booze, toilets queues fine, sound was bang on. Jack White was superb. Dont see where the negativity is coming from. Seems like a few people need to grow a pair.

Roll on today. Big league!

Edited by The Nal

21 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Nonsense from Massive Attack. Theyve history with this behaviour.

Had a great day yesterday. 2 meals no queues, loads of booze, toilets queues fine, sound was bang on. Jack White was superb. Dont see where the negativity is coming from. Seems like a few people need to grow a pair.

Roll on today. Big league!

I rather suspect that you and I have very different expectations about what makes a good festival.. 

Lots of people complaining about Mad Cool not just in this forum but all over FB and social media. 

Are they all wrong? 

Sean

Anyone else see Black Pistol Fire yesterday?  Fantastic set and great crowd, one of the highlights for me.   My daughter's boyfriend was waiting for Massive Attack, but she messaged him when they didn't show and luckily he was able to see half the BPF set which helped a bit with his disappointment 

We watched half of Franz then came over for massive attack, definitely couldn’t hear them anymore once we got close to The Loop so not sure how true this excuse is. Luckily we had a good day up til this point so we left rather than wait to see what happened. Feel sorry for all the people that waited until the message went up. 

We waited around until 2.30 for Massive Attack and realised it wasnt happening so headed off home.

Queues are busy at peak times, before and after big gigs in the areas where the gigs are on. Yet people seem surprised.

Ate yesterday at 7 and again at about midnight. Nice grub too. The pork sambos from the Amasa stall are a win. As is the hot sauce I used too much of.

Edited by The Nal

2 hours ago, seantizz said:

I saw Gold Panda in the loop on Thursday night. Massive technical problems with his laptop not working - updating version etc - but he got on with it gamely. 

Think it’s fair to say that Massive Attack need to get their side of this story out pretty quickly because Mad Cool have stitched them up a right kipper here. 

Almost reminiscent of Hope and Glory’s yoga outburst about Tim Booth last year when he dared to criticise that mess.. 

Were you at Hope and Glory, Sean? I thought we were the only ones doing the double with Mad Cool! 

You mentioned static off the fake grass yesterday, and my wife had been getting that constantly - even when brushing past people in the crowds ?

Thought it went quite well yesterday. Didn't notice any sound leak on the loop, very disappointed not to see massive attack, but want to hear their side. Did have an issue with sound leak on the radio stage from the koko stage on one side, and the main stage on the other. 

Thought the toilets were poor by the end of the day. The urinals must be leaking as the ground was sodden with piss at most I went to, and my wife says the ladies were in a really bad state with a lot of cubicles closed. 

Mad Cool sounds so different to my current weekend at NOS Alive. Having a great weekend. In and out very easily to the arena with regular trains when we left. Food and drink very reasonably priced. There’s a few choke points when bands end and people try to get to the other stages, but you can expect that at a festival.  They could be done with increasing toilets but they are limited with space I’d guess. Overall this has been brilliant 

Just now, JSmurphy said:

Apart from the Massive Attack situation I had another great day. Didnt queue for a drink anywhere longer than 10 minutes. My two favourites, Queens and NIN, are just a few hours away. Cannot wait!

I’ve seen both this weekend at NOS. You won’t be disappointed 

2 hours ago, seantizz said:

Lots of people complaining about Mad Cool not just in this forum but all over FB and social media. 

I've seen a lot of complaining over the years.

I don't think I've ever seen anything so consistently saying it's bad, or from so many.

It might not be the worst ever, but it must be close.

10 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I've seen a lot of complaining over the years.

I don't think I've ever seen anything so consistently saying it's bad, or from so many.

It might not be the worst ever, but it must be close.

Its not. Far from it.

I get the feeling theres a lot of residual negativity from the entry issues which is fair enough.

Its not really a festival anyway. More of a big gig. Gates are only open for about 10 hours a day. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

A much better second day. Arrived around 7pm for ATDI, straight in through the Uber entrance.

Got water at last, it’s not obvious where it is unless you walk right past it so thanks for the directions in here!

Didn’t queue for more than 10 minutes all day for beer / food.

Much better experience, sound is still amazing, the screens are awesome and I managed to see all the acts I wanted to from a good spot.

We camped in at the first main stage for Snow Patrol and AM and watched Jack White from afar who was excellent!

Only issue all day was Marmozets had a couple of sound cut outs but all in all much more what I expected from the festival.

bring on wolf Alice, qotsa, depeche and NIN today!!