Mad Cool 2018

JBarbour

1 hour ago, Booster said:

It's a shame you didn't you enjoy it, as, notwithstanding the org problems on the Thursday, I personally thought it was a cracking festival. 

For me, the music side was absolutely superb: not just the line up, but the stages, the lighting, the sound, the screens - in this respect it was the best festival I have ever attended. Special mention for PJ and NIN as their gigs were out of this world. (I don't know the facts behind the Massive Attack case, but the fact everyone else played does not, prima facie, reflect well on them.)

I though the layout was good overall and especially enjoyed the vibe from the fake grass.

Atmosphere was really friendly, and the lack of aggressive drunken idiots compared to a UK festival was noticeable and to be welcomed.

Food quality was good, reasonably priced and we could always find a place without a queue.

Drinks were a bit trickier (think the longest I queued was 15 minutes) and one water station is ridiculous for a festival of this size.

The one thing I would add, perhaps contrary to some other views on here, is that Madrid itself is not a particularly nice city. The art galleries are great but that's about it. This - and this alone - would be the only factor that would make me consider not attending next year (assuming a decent line up).

And finally on the VIP issue, fine to give VIP priority access up until bands come on - at that point the enclosures should be filled up with people waiting. Seems a win/ win solution to me.

This is my first ever post by the way, although I've read threads on this site for years. Thanks to eveyrone for sharing views / rumours / experiences.

Nice first post. 

1 hour ago, Booster said:

It's a shame you didn't you enjoy it, as, notwithstanding the org problems on the Thursday, I personally thought it was a cracking festival. 

For me, the music side was absolutely superb: not just the line up, but the stages, the lighting, the sound, the screens - in this respect it was the best festival I have ever attended. Special mention for PJ and NIN as their gigs were out of this world. (I don't know the facts behind the Massive Attack case, but the fact everyone else played does not, prima facie, reflect well on them.)

I though the layout was good overall and especially enjoyed the vibe from the fake grass.

Atmosphere was really friendly, and the lack of aggressive drunken idiots compared to a UK festival was noticeable and to be welcomed.

Food quality was good, reasonably priced and we could always find a place without a queue.

Drinks were a bit trickier (think the longest I queued was 15 minutes) and one water station is ridiculous for a festival of this size.

The one thing I would add, perhaps contrary to some other views on here, is that Madrid itself is not a particularly nice city. The art galleries are great but that's about it. This - and this alone - would be the only factor that would make me consider not attending next year (assuming a decent line up).

And finally on the VIP issue, fine to give VIP priority access up until bands come on - at that point the enclosures should be filled up with people waiting. Seems a win/ win solution to me.

This is my first ever post by the way, although I've read threads on this site for years. Thanks to eveyrone for sharing views / rumours / experiences.

Nice use of the term "prima facie" too. Surely an eFests first?

11 hours ago, seantizz said:

I’ve sent my review in to Neil and I’m sure it’ll be published soon. 

It’s quite scathing in truth. I think that Mad Cool blew its budget on a top notch line-up and then failed to deliver infrastructure wise. 

Just caught up with these forum pages and there’s a lot more love for Mad Cool than I would have anticipated. The Nal must be paid by the festival because my experience seemed polar opposite!! 

Off to Benicassim tomorrow. Hmmm.. 

I guess that's the great thing about festivals - everyone's experience is different. I suppose many people's view would be coloured by the entry arrangements on the first day, which was admitedly a complete balls up. That being said in years gone by I've had just as bad (if not worse) at Glastonbury, but it doesn't stop me going back. You just have to hope that they learn from their mistakes and improve.

Have a good time at Benicassim.

11 hours ago, seantizz said:

The Nal must be paid by the festival because my experience seemed polar opposite!! 

Aside from a queue here and there for a beer and the wine bar being a shitshow, all 6 of our group had the same experience. Very comfortable. 

People moaning about queues just after acts have finished?! Try get a Grande Bouffe from the one beside the Pyramid Stage after a headliner at Glastonbury. Same thing. Or a beer after the support act at a big stadium gig. 

2 minutes ago, elias said:

I guess that's the great thing about festivals - everyone's experience is different. I suppose many people's view would be coloured by the entry arrangements on the first day, which was admitedly a complete balls up. That being said in years gone by I've had just as bad (if not worse) at Glastonbury, but it doesn't stop me going back. You just have to hope that they learn from their mistakes and improve.

Have a good time at Benicassim.

Yep - I’m sure that’s right. 

Boomtown made a right pigs ear of entry last year and yet my review was glowing because what followed was epic.. 

From Sean Tizzard's review https://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/madcool/2018/review1.shtml :

"Later updates received when the festival had ended were more balanced. Massive Attack had stipulated within their contract that they needed a specific piece of technical equipment. Mad Cool had not been able to provide it."

Do you have a source for the later update(s) ? The only update I have seen (https://madcoolfestival.es/noticia/mad-cool-massive-attack) claims it was the bands own in-ear monitors that was the problem. I think most bands use in-ear monitors these days, so either Massive Attack just used it as a poor excuse or their brand of in-ear monitors was worse than everyone else.

25 minutes ago, Fuzhi said:

From Sean Tizzard's review https://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/madcool/2018/review1.shtml :

"Later updates received when the festival had ended were more balanced. Massive Attack had stipulated within their contract that they needed a specific piece of technical equipment. Mad Cool had not been able to provide it."

Do you have a source for the later update(s) ? The only update I have seen (https://madcoolfestival.es/noticia/mad-cool-massive-attack) claims it was the bands own in-ear monitors that was the problem. I think most bands use in-ear monitors these days, so either Massive Attack just used it as a poor excuse or their brand of in-ear monitors was worse than everyone else.

Fair point actually.. I’ll look to get the review amended. 

I read the same press release in Spanish on Monday and interpreted it as a statement of joint culpability but it’s not actually saying that at all!! 

Sean

• Upvote 1

We can’t get into the Loop for Justice........The squeeze inside the Loop doesn’t bear thinking about.

:wacko:

There was loads of room inside The Loop for all the gigs as long as you didn't enter from the side nearest the main drag. Same as anywhere else. Could get to the right hand side of the stage easily for any gig there. Justice included. Just walk around and in the other side.

It appears that people wanted a free limo directly back to their hotel aswell at 4am as part of the ticket price? Whats wrong with the underground - only the 2nd time in a century Madrid have ran it all night - and then hopping in a taxi back to the hotel? 

I do get the feeling that people were either naive or just following the masses. For bars, food and gigs. And a lot didn't seem to get over the shambolic queues in the heat on Thursday and willfully carried negativity around with them all weekend.  

You didn't go on Friday (which was a great day), no mention of the incredible sound and visuals throughout the weekend which were as good as I've seen anywhere and then you left during Nine Inch Nails?

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

46 minutes ago, The Nal said:

We can’t get into the Loop for Justice........The squeeze inside the Loop doesn’t bear thinking about.

:wacko:

There was loads of room inside The Loop for all the gigs as long as you didn't enter from the side nearest the main drag. Same as anywhere else. Could get to the right hand side of the stage easily for any gig there. Justice included. Just walk around and in the other side.

It appears that people wanted a free limo directly back to their hotel aswell at 4am as part of the ticket price? Whats wrong with the underground - only the 2nd time in a century Madrid have ran it all night - and then hopping in a taxi back to the hotel? 

I do get the feeling that people were either naive or just following the masses. For bars, food and gigs. And a lot didn't seem to get over the shambolic queues in the heat on Thursday and willfully carried negativity around with them all weekend.  

You didn't go on Friday (which was a great day), no mention of the incredible sound and visuals throughout the weekend which were as good as I've seen anywhere and then you left during Nine Inch Nails?

giphy.gif

I didn’t think the sound was as incredible as you make out. Lots of sound bleed across the site for me. And from a distance there was popping and all sorts. 

Transport and infrastructure was far less considered than it is at (for example) Primavera. 

We disagree about Mad Cool and that’s cool. I think it got a lot wrong. You don’t. But it does seem like we were at a different festival!! 

I don’t enjoy reviewing it in the way I did. I’m not a negative sort by nature - and I think this is possibly the most scathing I’ve ever been in my hundred or so reviews over the past years for this site. I just got very little buzz or excitement from Mad Cool. 

Let’s see if I dislike Benicassim as much!! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, seantizz said:

I didn’t think the sound was as incredible as you make out. Lots of sound bleed across the site for me. And from a distance there was popping and all sorts. 

Transport and infrastructure was far less considered than it is at (for example) Primavera. 

We disagree about Mad Cool and that’s cool. I think it got a lot wrong. You don’t. But it does seem like we were at a different festival!! 

I don’t enjoy reviewing it in the way I did. I’m not a negative sort by nature - and I think this is possibly the most scathing I’ve ever been in my hundred or so reviews over the past years for this site. I just got very little buzz or excitement from Mad Cool. 

Let’s see if I dislike Benicassim as much!! 

Fair enough and I wasn't having a go. Its a Live Nation event who I hate so I've no skin in the game at all. 

I think they got a lot wrong too. Although we hung around in the hotel which was 5 mins away until the queues died down, the queues on Thursday were bad enough and taking peoples water away is just unforgivable. As mentioned previously, the wine bar is the single worst organised thing I've ever seen anywhere. A jokeshop. 

And Mad Cools communication around that and Massive Attack were shite. Huge improvements needed there considering they have an app. Could've easily pushed an update out to us regarding these things. And the inter company communication was all over the place too it seems. No word to security at Ifema not to take peoples water as theres a 3 hour queue in 35c up ahead! When people end up on drips backstage you know you've fucked up!

Agree some of the bleeding between stages was bad at times. Particularly between the Koko and the Radio stage but moving closer fixed that.

Its not really a festival though as I said. More of a big gig with different stages. Nothing to do but watch bands which is fine by me. Relentless at times too. 5 minutes in between QOTSA and Depeche Mode and 5 minutes in between Depeche Mode and Nine Inch Nails!

Edited by The Nal
  • Upvote 1

Think that review is highly critical, Sean - and I guess the result of attending as a critic rather than a regular punter. You can pick holes in any festival - the very best, like Glastonbury included. I fail to see how anyone who genuinely went to the festival to have a good time could have had a miserable weekend, like anything it's what you make of it - and the intention you go with.

Between our group we have probably been to 30+ festivals and we all agreed that we would go back should the line-up be as strong as it was this year.

Yes, the queues on the first day were unacceptable, but they fixed the issues for the second day - as they did with beer situation (can't speak for tap water/wine/spirits) as didn't drink any. For me that was the only significant issue and it was rectified quickly.

The line-up was the best I've seen for any festival in the world this year. The atmosphere was fantastic. Making your way between stages was quick and straightforward. The sound on some of the stages was as good if not better than Glastonbury.

All of that said, I went to have a good time, not as a critic.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Insisting on reviewing a festival having given 1/3 of it the skip is a bit off to me. Soz.

Agreed - not something i’d typically do - in fact I don’t think I’ve ever skipped a festival day when reviewing before - do a real sign of how appalling (and dangerous) I found the Thursday. 

I’m sure that Neil would love to publish an alternative review if you’d like to write one to give some  balance? 

Sean

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Have to disagree with that review also.

I was as annoyed as anyone at the shambles that greeted us upon arrival on Thursday. Scorching heat, no communication, no toilets, no water; it was nothing short of a disgrace and did not bode well for the weekend ahead.

However, once inside the problems began to dissipate. We found the water taps easily and began to fill out bottles up - never waiting more than 30 seconds here over the weekend. The bars were more of a mine-field with poorly trained staff and a distinct lack of energy that you'd normally find in Irish watering holes. But even this couldn't detract from the overall night itself. In purely aesthetic terms the site looked fantastic and having endured Primavera's gravel pit over the years, the fake grass was a god send. Equally impressive were the screens, the sound and the good vibes. Not to mention the overall calibre of bands on offer which has been discussed to death.

Getting around was easy, there was always something on and there were no delays (bar Massive Attack but let's not go there). We got the bus home and though slightly chaotic we were only waiting 10-15 minutes. Again, comparing this to Primavera, where there is always a mental rush for taxis or the prospect of a mammoth walk, this was more than acceptable.

Over the next two days the initial teething issues were worked through. Getting in was easier, the bar staff has more of a zip in their step (except the bar to the right of the Loop - they must not have gotten the memo) and the music continued to impress. The Loop was a revelation - despite the claims above we got right to the front of Justice halfway through with minimal effort and it was an incredible experience. They blew us away, while Odesza were great the following night too.

An annoying couple of hours at the start - though regrettable - shouldn't colour three jam-packed days of a festival.

Would I go back? It would depend on the line-up. As someone else mentioned Madrid is a nice city but it lacks the punch of Barcelona which is where Primavera will always have the upper hand, while next year we might try for Nos Alive or somewhere different.

Thanks for all the info along the way also - this place has been a great resource throughout.

I had a great time at Madcool as well last weekend. We arrived in Madrid, late Thursday morning. Checked into our apartment and heading out for food and a few drinks. Left Malasana area mid afternoon to get the metro to the site. Fairly big queue of people were waiting just outside the station. We were moving after about 5 mins. The walk was fairly long, zigzagging around the site a bit. There was a brief search and then the walk continued.  Saw people having water and food taken off them.  I would guess it took about 45 mins to get into the site from leaving the metro. I thought this was pretty reasonable. Thankfully, we had our wristbands already as the queue in the left side for collecting them was huge. 

Waited about 30mins for our first drinks at the bar to the left hand side.  Toilets were good the first day - much cleaner than UK festivals - no one pissing on the ground. I can’t say that they were as good on the Saturday. Realised that the bar queues varied massively depending where you went. The queue at the other end of the same bar I went to initially was almost non existent. Don’t remember queuing more than 5 mins for the rest of the weekend. Drink prices were just about OK. The spirits contained generous measures. 

As as a few others mentioned, the sound and visuals were great. Especially  for Tame Impala, who were one of my highlights.  Also saw Eels and Fleet Foxes from the back. It was good when the sun went down and the temperature cooled a bit.  Watched a bit of Pearl Jam, who aren’t really my thing, but they sounded good. Highlight of the Thursday was Justice in the Loop stage. Wandered around the back of the crowd and up the right side of stage. Atmosphere and sound was top notch.  Headed for the shuttle buses later into town followed by a taxi to our apartment. 

The Friday didn’t go quite as planned. Went out for lunch and a few drinks around 2pm. This turned into a few more.  In the end, we got distracted by the Madrid nightlife and missed the entire day. Had planned to head up to the site for Young Fathers and Massive Attack. Glad i never now.  Spent the entire night in various bars and clubs - getting home at 6am. 

Went out out for lunch, drinks, watching England v Belgium.  Journey to the festival was quick on the Saturday. Saw QOTSA, Depeche Mode, Ritchie Hawtin and Underworld. Depeche mode the highlight of the day. Crowd was friendly throughout. Everyone having a good time. Trip back to town was via the metro and taxi. All pain free.  

Id definitely go back. As has been said, it’s not really a festival in the Glastonbury sense. There’s nothing much there except the stages. As there are almost no gaps between bands, you don’t really need anything else I suppose. The site was good, especially the AstroTurf to sit on. They could do with expanding the area slightly by moving the stages a bit further away from each other - especially the Loop, Koko and the radio stage as there was a lot of soundbleed there unless you moved closer to the stage. 

57C72F3D-B098-4E3E-A0BF-DC52F14D0F5D.jpeg

amazing line up, fantastic 3 days of music, so-so organised, not much to do except the music, which i dont mind as i come for the music only and dont care about other stuff too much...if the line up would be this strong, i would return...otherwise would not.

Went to Mad cool then onto Benicassim. Last night benicassim opened 15/20min late, nothing crazy, but in that time Melvin Benn came out with crates of water to hand out, apologised, said it would be open soon and that if we could share these bottles more would be round in a min.

You’d think the similar positioned person at Mad cool would of have the sense to do something similar on the Thursday 

Just one outsiders' opinion, from someone who went to both Rock Werchter and Mad Cool in the last two weeks. I truly enjoyed both festivals, but I would choose RW 100/100 over Mad Cool in the future, if you're traveling for the festival.

The lineups were very, very similar. But RW was run so, so much better. Although I did love the late start, so it wasn't an entire day of standing in the heat. Who would think that the Belgian festival would be the one with the oppressive sun?

Thankfully, Mad Cool is still very, very new. Hopefully next year the gigantic entry lines on day one are tamed. That would go a far way to winning back some fans!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, ilikesimpsons said:

Went to Mad cool then onto Benicassim. Last night benicassim opened 15/20min late, nothing crazy, but in that time Melvin Benn came out with crates of water to hand out, apologised, said it would be open soon and that if we could share these bottles more would be round in a min.

You’d think the similar positioned person at Mad cool would of have the sense to do something similar on the Thursday 

Nice effort. Although it's absolutely the right thing to do, the cynic in me thinks they might just be capitalising on the PR disaster that was last Thursday at Mad Cool.

14 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Nice effort. Although it's absolutely the right thing to do, the cynic in me thinks they might just be capitalising on the PR disaster that was last Thursday at Mad Cool.

Definitely think this too. (Drinking) water was just as hard to come by at Beni when I went a couple of years ago. 

Also worth remembering Beni is considerably smaller and has been running a lot longer.