Mad Cool 2018

JBarbour

46 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

The metro is running all night mate 

"Regarding public transport, we  continue to wait for the public agencies and institutions to make decisions regarding our request to enable a special night service that transports the public from the premises to the different points of the city. 

That is why, to this day,  Mad Cool Festival can not guarantee its attendees that public transport is available outside of its usual schedule ."

3 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

That night bus finishes a 19 min walk from my where I'm staying. I guess that will be my best option for travelling back, yeah? €6 for a 3 day pass is good value and means I don't have to wait hours for the metro to open.

We reckon it'll be easy to get there before it stops running if you're staying until the festival finishes?

Yes the uber options are very limited in Madrid with only uberx and electric car for only 4 people. Each of them shows 25 euros to where I am staying as well near Plaza Mayor area. This bus option will be the best option if the metro is not available.

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 1:10 PM, layasway said:

Yes we ordered through Tickermaster too. I have had a reply from the Golden ticket people to say we should have an email from the courier in the next few days - still nothing. I noticed on one email (not on the translated part) that there was a date, translated that bit of the email and it states 'please check your spam tray if you haven't had the email by the 20th June' Will hold out and see if we get anything this week then I will be emailing again! It's 3 weeks until we leave the UK for Spain and we paid for shipping too. Will let you know if we hear anything. Annoying to have booked tickets for this last year and all standard wristbands seem to have arrived already! 

Is there anyone with VIP tickets, who have recieved there wristband? I have still nothing :(

15 minutes ago, Ibbel said:

Is there anyone with VIP tickets, who have recieved there wristband? I have still nothing :(

Still nothing here! I emailed on the 20th and they replied very quickly to say we should have received an email with delivery date of the wristband and if we haven't had it in the next few days to get back in touch - only been waiting for over a month for it and sent several emails. I am giving them until Friday and sending another email.

Has anyone else actually received their VIP wristbands yet?? 

Just bought the 3 day bus pass, hoping for something very similar to NOS alive as their (shuttle) bus service ran smoothly. 

I'm also yet to receive my wristband, however mines just the standard and not the VIP. Is anybody else still waiting on their general sale wristband?

3 weeks today :) 

1 hour ago, layasway said:

Has anyone else actually received their VIP wristbands yet?? 

Nope, although we never got them last year either. We had to take our print at home tickets to the box office for our wristbands. I assumed that they would be better at sending them out this year to prevent long queues on the first day. We didn't have a problem getting through the VIP entrance, but I remember reading of long delays at the normal ticket entrance.

2 minutes ago, elias said:

Nope, although we never got them last year either. We had to take our print at home tickets to the box office for our wristbands. I assumed that they would be better at sending them out this year to prevent long queues on the first day. We didn't have a problem getting through the VIP entrance, but I remember reading of long delays at the normal ticket entrance.

Interesting, good to know that there is a back up if we don't get them. If we have to get them ourselves then I will be asking about a refund of the delivery charge  ?

5 minutes ago, elias said:

How long we talking for the normal tickets queue? I'm the only one in my group who hasn't received their ticket and i need to see Gang of Youths who are first on at 6pm....

Hi guys. I have read every single page of this forum so thought I'd say hello. Extremely looking forward to PJ (hoping for more of a London setlist than Pinkpop from looking at them, but that's a bit hopeful), NIN and plenty others.

Having lived in Spain since September, I have seen or know of a few of the Spanish acts on the bill and thought I would give my two céntimos. Most of these sing in Spanish. I would fully recommend going to a Spanish band, just to see the majority of the drunken crowd excitedly harping along to every word, even though Spanish acts tend to fit in as many words into their songs as possible. It's a pretty site. Apologies for being a bit long but hopefully you find something in it. If anyone, particularly Spanish people, have anything to add, feel free!

Bifannah: Not seen them but listened to them a fair bit. Really colourful, unique, world music flavoured indie rock and I reckon a great start to the festival (if we can get the wristbands on in time). Side note: I anticipated not being able to see them so I ended up going to a festival on the coast of Andalucia where there were loads of lesser known Spanish bands, even in Spain.

Ivan Ferreiro: An interesting fellow: I cannot tell (as with a lot of Spanish indie acts) whether he is purposefully modelled on the Gallaghers/Ian Brown or if it happened at the same time (he comes from a pretty famous indie band in Spain called Los Piratas, their big hits are played all the time and Ferrerio plays Años 80 a lot). He snarls, he cooes and he gets the crowd going. The Spaniards will all be there. It got pretty raucous when I saw him, tingles down the spine.

Carolina Durante: Pretty catchy, uplifting indie punk. The singer sounds like a youthful, melodic Mark E Smith crossed with Shaun Ryder, which I'll leave to you to decide is your cup of tea. They were at that same festival as Bifannah, just to give you an idea.

Modelo de Respuesta Polar/ La MODA: I have to be honest, these are two bands I cannot really tell apart when I've listened to them. I know La MODA have been touring a lot in Spain. From what I recall, these are more towards the pop-indie rock side of things, ala Catfish, Courteeners et al. Whilst I am not a fan, I imagine the KOKO stage is gonna be packed with Spaniards at the end of Friday as this will be their usual prime party time.

Biznaga: Quite well-known modern punk band. I am not a fan of the Spanish punk singing style, I think it is a bit 'put-on' and ends up a bit faux-gravely. However, this band cannot be argued with really if you are looking for some snarly punk.

Núria Graham: I really like this. She sings in English, it might be a little bit sad but it is a bit like Kevin Morby's stuff, there is a lot of levity to be found in it. From my experience, these types of acts in Spain tend to be my favourite.

Morgan: Sentimental, almost Mumford style rock. Having said that, the female lead singer is a legend and the rest of the band really hammer it live. Fully recommend to be honest, I think she sings in Castellano, Catalan and English.

Agoraphobia: The one I am most looking forward to, if I can catch it ahead of Perfume Genius. Think Honeyblood, The Big Moon (amazing live, fucking horrible clash with ATDI not good for me), Metric, Wolf Alice. Heavy, all female band. I haven't seen them live so cannot vouch for that but their recent album is a fucking stonker. Sing in English.

Cora Novoa: Really interesting DJ from Galicia. She is some sort of ambassador for Ableton and her 2015 album is a really exquisite mix between poppy dance and heavier, moodier stuff. Her recent mix for the festival was really brutal, so who knows how it will be. I am gonna try and squeeze her in between Pile and Hurray for the Riff Raff.

Kase.O: Decent party Spanish rap. Not sure what more I can say really.

Rufus T. Firefly: I have seen these guys mentioned, it is a massive shame they clash with QOTSA, Portugal, Weval and the above Kase.O. I am tempted...they are not overwhelming live, but they are on for a short time, have some really really nice psych-pop, Tame Impala flavoured hits and once they get going live are quite entrancing.

Angel Stanich: An interesting clash with Jet and Dua Lipa for anyone who doesn't fancy that. I imagine a fairly sizeable crowd even with both of those acts attracting plenty of Spanish fans. He is pretty popular and you will again see a really enthused crowd. He plays beautiful indie rock and has quite a peculiar voice, reminding me of Jonsi from Sigur Ros and someone else who I forget. Apparently comes with a really good AV show, cannot confirm as I have only seen him in an intimate open-mic show.

Well, good luck guys and see you there. Hope there is some space at the frontish for PJ for me, I will be coming from Yo La Tengo. That isn't even all of the Spanish acts by the way, I think there are a few more in there.

Edited by jtrousers1
  • Upvote 10

6 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

"Regarding public transport, we  continue to wait for the public agencies and institutions to make decisions regarding our request to enable a special night service that transports the public from the premises to the different points of the city. 

That is why, to this day,  Mad Cool Festival can not guarantee its attendees that public transport is available outside of its usual schedule ."

wonderwhy I didn’t read that first 

5 hours ago, TheFullShaboo said:

How long we talking for the normal tickets queue? I'm the only one in my group who hasn't received their ticket and i need to see Gang of Youths who are first on at 6pm....

It's impossible to say how long the queues for entry will be. I guess it will depend on how many have got their wristbands ahead of time.

Last year there were rumours of it taking 2 to 3 hours to get in. We arrived an hour early and got our VIP wristbands straightaway, we just walked in as soon as the site opened.
I don't think there's been any announcement of opening times? I'd suggest getting to the site well  before they open the entrances if you need to see Gang of Youths.

35 minutes ago, TomViolence said:

Sorted out our bus tickets yesterday. The end point is 20 mins from our apartment so can't complain really. Nothing left to worry about now :)

(except the brutal clashes) 

Same here the end point is also 20 mins to my apartment near plaza mayor area but the uber rates is around 5 euros from there  which is not that bad considering it is 25 euros from the festival without any surge price right now.

Booked our bus tickets, doesnt work out too badly for me about a half an hour walk from the hotel I booked months ago so anywhere closer is now about £100+ more expensive. Quite excited for this now, just hope the organisation at the festival itself has been well thought out. They've emailed me offering to post that t-shirt pack I bought to my hotel because they were for Spanish residents only, which is a good sign... assuming it arrives!

Has anyone been looking into where to watch the World Cup, or any locals have any recommendations? I'll be there for the second semi final and the final so hoping to find somewhere with a decent atmosphere, was hoping if Spain end up going that far they'd have some sort of outdoor area with a big screen but struggling to see anything online.

4 hours ago, alexlloyd said:

Has anyone been looking into where to watch the World Cup, or any locals have any recommendations? I'll be there for the second semi final and the final so hoping to find somewhere with a decent atmosphere, was hoping if Spain end up going that far they'd have some sort of outdoor area with a big screen but struggling to see anything online.

Every bar will have it on. 

If they get to the final they'll likely have it on in Paseo de Recoletos. 250k watched the 2010 final there. Scenes.

Edited by The Nal
  • Upvote 1

I have a day ticket for AM/Jack White day, but dunno what to do for the bus. My hotel is a 10-20 minute walk from Atocha station, so in a way it makes more sense for me to get a Cercanias to Valdebebas, but I'm wondering if its easier to get the bus both ways as there's no train back to Atocha until after 4/5am.