Mad Cool 2018

JBarbour

40 minutes ago, e2p2 said:

Copying @johnybegood post from 2017 thread - 

Last year, these were the prices. (1 MAD = 1€)

For 3€ you could get 0.5 lit. of fresh beer. It wasn't an expensive festival. 

(agua=water; refresco=coca cola/fanta; cerveza=beer; kalimotxo=wine+coca cola; combinado=spirits, gin tonic, rum coke, whisky...; Mini = 1 liter glass)

I'd heard that mini actually meant mega but the economics seem a bit messy with this guy's post and the post above. 

Why would people spend 3x the amount to get either 2x the drink (or potentially 1.5x if the 750ml post is true)?

I'm guessing that a normal cerveza will be half pints/250ml and I'll hope that a mini is a litre but I reckon it's more likely to be 750ml. Can't imagine a festival offering 25% off their beer. They certainly wouldn't in the UK. 

58 minutes ago, e2p2 said:

Copying @johnybegood post from 2017 thread - 

Last year, these were the prices. (1 MAD = 1€)

For 3€ you could get 0.5 lit. of fresh beer. It wasn't an expensive festival. 

(agua=water; refresco=coca cola/fanta; cerveza=beer; kalimotxo=wine+coca cola; combinado=spirits, gin tonic, rum coke, whisky...; Mini = 1 liter glass)

Cheers, this is really helpful. If @Joshua Homme is right €9 for just less than a pint and a half is still pretty steep, but that's festivals for you. It was £6 a pint at APE a few weeks ago, so it's not miles off that.

29 minutes ago, Dave said:

What's the deal with buying beers and food... is it a token system? 

Someone mentioned €3 for a beer, trying to budget how much cash to take!

No, you pay with cash/credit card.

And while mini could refer in some places to 1 litre, they are actually 750 ml glasses in Mad Cool.

53 minutes ago, popcornmaster said:

Does anyone know if you can get away with being cashless at Mad Cool? Will most/all bars and stalls have card readers?

I'm not sure how receptive Spain is in general to card payments as it's been absolutely years since I've been. 

Last year you were supposed to be able to load up your wristband with credit, thus making the bars 'cashless'. Unfortunately the monsoon rain put paid to that and the system failed. All bars were accepting cash and cards.
I haven't heard if they are doing the wristband thing again this year, but I suspect they will.

Drink prices were as shown in the graphic above except in the VIP bar where you got a larger beer for 4 Euro. I'd be guessing at the size, but i think it was 1/2 litre.
There was also a 4 Euro mixed drink (rum and coke etc.) in the same plastic cup. This was free poured and filled to the same level. I can confirm that these were strong!
I'm fairly sure you had to pay 1 Euro for your plastic cup. Obviously you only had to do this once as long as you kept your cup.

Bad news about Pearl Jam cancelling London shows. Hopefully Eddie will be recovered in time for Mad Cool, but I feel sad for all those fans with London tickets.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, elias said:

Last year you were supposed to be able to load up your wristband with credit, thus making the bars 'cashless'. Unfortunately the monsoon rain put paid to that and the system failed. All bars were accepting cash and cards.
I haven't heard if they are doing the wristband thing again this year, but I suspect they will.

Drink prices were as shown in the graphic above except in the VIP bar where you got a larger beer for 4 Euro. I'd be guessing at the size, but i think it was 1/2 litre.
There was also a 4 Euro mixed drink (rum and coke etc.) in the same plastic cup. This was free poured and filled to the same level. I can confirm that these were strong!
I'm fairly sure you had to pay 1 Euro for your plastic cup. Obviously you only had to do this once as long as you kept your cup.

Bad news about Pearl Jam cancelling London shows. Hopefully Eddie will be recovered in time for Mad Cool, but I feel sad for all those fans with London tickets.

Is the drink cheaper in the VIP bar ? Also can you use your VIP band in all stages or is it just the 2 main stages that has a VIP area 

2 hours ago, Walshy24 said:

Is the drink cheaper in the VIP bar ? Also can you use your VIP band in all stages or is it just the 2 main stages that has a VIP area 

The 4 Euro beer was only available at the VIP bar. The plastic cup was larger and they wouldn't allow you to fill it up at the other bars. I can't remember if other drinks were cheaper.

The VIP wristband got you access to the two main stages only.

On 6/5/2018 at 9:29 PM, alexlloyd said:

Think I'm going to see Gang of Youths as the first band of the festival based on this, thanks! Shame about Rufus T Firefly, really liked the sound of them but I can't miss Queens of the Stone Age.

You're in for a treat ;)

11 hours ago, elias said:

No, cash/credit card only.

During Mad Cool Festival 2018, which will be held on the 12th, 13th and 14th of July in Espacio Mad Cool, located in Valdebebas - Ifema, the organization will provide a night bus service that will allow attendees to return from the festival to the city centre in a fast and comfortable way.

Every day the festival ends at 4:30am, so bus service will run without interruption between 02:00am and 05:30am. The buses will depart from Avenida de las Fuerzas Armadas S / N (100 meters from the festival main exit) and will arrive directly to Plaza de Colón.

Regarding public transport, we are waiting for the public agencies and institutions to make a decision about our request to enable a special night service that will run through the night in order to transport the attendees from the festival to various points of the city.

That is why today, Mad Cool Festival, cannot guarantee the attendees that public transport will be available outside of its usual time schedule (you can chek them in our website). Therefore, we recommend our guests to purchase the bus tickets as soon as possible to insure a spot as tickets are limited.

Bus tickets can be purchased through our website from today, Thursday 21st of June at 12:00pm (noon) until Wednesday 30th of June at 11:59pm.

- 1 day ticket: € 3 + fees

- 3-day voucher: € 6 + fees

That night bus finishes a 19 min walk from my where I'm staying. I guess that will be my best option for travelling back, yeah? €6 for a 3 day pass is good value and means I don't have to wait hours for the metro to open.

We reckon it'll be easy to get there before it stops running if you're staying until the festival finishes?

Ok, I've just bought a few without reading it properly.

It's only valid between 02:00-05:00 which is no good for getting to the festival so we'll just be spending money to get up there in the day. My fault for rushing into it but I was expecting a shuttle service to run similar to Optimus/NOS Alive that runs a lot of buses at the start and less during and then a lot at the end of the night too.

Yeah it'll have to be the case of getting to the fest by other means during the day and heading back on the bus. Seems like it's easy to get to the site via train / metro in the day anyway if you're staying central. 

28 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

That night bus finishes a 19 min walk from my where I'm staying. I guess that will be my best option for travelling back, yeah? €6 for a 3 day pass is good value and means I don't have to wait hours for the metro to open.

We reckon it'll be easy to get there before it stops running if you're staying until the festival finishes?

Website says it departs 10 minutes from the site so you should be all good making one even if you leave at 04:30.

34 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

The metro is running all night mate