Mad Cool 2018

JBarbour

On 6/1/2018 at 11:00 AM, Tremousse said:

I released an article for Festileaks yesterday, it might interest you : 5 fantastic bands you shouldn't miss at Mad Cool :) (obviously without taking the timetable in account) :

https://en.festileaks.com/2018/05/five-fantastic-bands-you-shouldnt-miss-at-mad-cool-2018/

Think I'm going to see Gang of Youths as the first band of the festival based on this, thanks! Shame about Rufus T Firefly, really liked the sound of them but I can't miss Queens of the Stone Age.

Edited by alexlloyd
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SonicSleuth said:

That's why I'm doing BOTH! LOL. Very few conflicts if I can use RW as the conflict-breaker! :)

Also, just got my Badmotorfinger tattoo, so looking forward to seeing some SG love in the PJ crowd. 

You lucky bugger, say hi to Nicholas Cave for me.

Nice man, truly brilliant album, I'll be wearing my Badmotorfinger tee so at least two of us.

My schedule, assumed that I will make it to the festival since job and shit, will probably be similar to:

THU:  Slaves -> Eels -> Fidlar -> Tame Impala (or Actress+Gold Panda) -> Pearl Jam -> Justice 

Will have to give up on Toundra, Fatima Yamaha and Justice. Surely the "worst" day for me, as I dont care about MGMT and not so much into none of the headliners (although Pearl Jam are Pearl Jam!)

Eels -> Toundra

Fidlar -> Leon Bridges

Tame Impala = Gold Panda+Actress

Pearl Jam -> Fatima Yamaha

Justice -> Kasabian

FRI: Victor Santana -> At The Drive-In -> Marmozets (a part) -> Jack White -> Paul Kalkbrenner (a part) -> Alice in Chains -> Massive Attack -> The Bloody Beetrots

Cannot believe Marmozets and At the Drive-In are clashing. Same goes with that clusterfuck happening during AM (James Holden, Kalkbrenner, Alice in Chains AND Young Fathers) - thanks god I will have Sziget for AM so that is something I will give up easily. Not the time to realize that ATDI and Massive Attack aren't clashing and I got the latter clashing with Franz Ferdinand (which is not the same, but still a loss)

At The Drive-In -> Marmozets

Jack White -> Odesza, Sampha

Kalkbrenner+Alice in Chains -> Arctic Monkeys, James Holden, Young Fathers

Massive Attack -> Franz Ferdinand

SAT: Wolf Alice -> Rag N Bone Man -> Queens of the Stone Age -> Depeche Mode -> Nine Inch Nails -> Richie Hawtin (or Dua Lipa) -> Underworld

Those will be by far the best 6 hours of my entire life of festival goers, for my tastes. Too bad that the afternoon is totally poor, while the night is packed with terrible clashes (Weval, Portugal. The Man, BRMC, Future Islands, Glass Animals, Jet, The Black Madonna).

Queens of the Stone Age -> Weval, Portugal. The Man

Depeche Mode -> Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

Nine Inch Nails -> Future Islands, Glass Animals

Richie Hawtin -> Dua Lipa, Jet

Underworld -> The Black Madonna

Thursday is pure shit clash-wise, but I expected that. Missing Yo La Tengo is bad, but bearable. Washed out being the most interesting alternative to half of Pearl Jam (always planned to catch a half) is a bit disappointing, especially with that Kasabian/Justice/Japandroids/The Last Internationale clusterfuck in mind. Kasabian? Justice? Half-half and then on to MGMT? Get completely wasted and miss all of them?

Of course Friday isn't much better and I didn't see that coming. ATDI vs Marmozets to start with, on to having to miss AIC and to finish another impossible decision to make with FF and Massive attack. At least The Bloody Beetroots got a suitably late spot.

Saturday is the weakest for me, and the least painful, but they still managed to put the cool local act against two acts I'd like to see and then make me choose between  - and I never thought I'd say that - Dua Lipa and Jet before closing it with Underworld.

I'm not even gonna list all the acts I'll be missing, but although being rather stressed at the moment, all this just shows we're in for one hell of a festival enjoying every minute. I wish you all a marvelous time, I'll go concentrate on all the stuff I won't be missing ?

6 hours ago, clasher said:

Washed out being the most interesting alternative to half of Pearl Jam (always planned to catch a half) is a bit disappointing, especially with that Kasabian/Justice/Japandroids/The Last Internationale clusterfuck in mind.

Saturday is the weakest for me, and the least painful, but they still managed to put the cool local act against two acts I'd like to see and then make me choose between  - and I never thought I'd say that - Dua Lipa and Jet before closing it with Underworld

They put Post Malone as an alternative to Pearl Jam to divide the crowds which is reasonable considering he is 3rd most listened artist on Spotify right now. 

I have the same clash Dua Lipa vs Jet. I checked Jet's previous setlists and they play "Are you gonna be my girl?" second on their set. If they do like that in Mad Cool then I will watch Jet for 2 songs and go to see Dua Lipa afterwards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, birchtree29 said:

They put Post Malone as an alternative to Pearl Jam to divide the crowds which is reasonable considering he is 3rd most listened artist on Spotify right now. 

I have the same clash Dua Lipa vs Jet. I checked Jet's previous setlists and they play "Are you gonna be my girl?" second on their set. If they do like that in Mad Cool then I will watch Jet for 2 songs and go to see Dua Lipa afterwards.

I know I know, it's my problem I couldn't care less about post malone ?

I'm probably gonna stay a song or two longer, but good plan.

P.S.: 10am WHAT TIME are they planning to release new tickets? not 10am Madrid time it seems (or did I miss it already?)

Edited by clasher

34 minutes ago, clasher said:

I know I know, it's my problem I couldn't care less about post malone ?

I'm probably gonna stay a song or two longer, but good plan.

P.S.: 10am WHAT TIME are they planning to release new tickets? not 10am Madrid time it seems (or did I miss it already?)

https://www.ticketmaster.es/event/mad-cool-2018-abonos-entradas/9997?eventId=9997&track=DiscoveryAPI&camefrom=GLS|MAD+COOL+FESTIVAL&brand=base_mb_es

It is still available

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, zeppelin said:

Is anyone else a bit concerned about how busy the tent is going to be for Justice and Massive Attack? ?

When I last saw Massive Attack in Spain it was a pretty small crowd. Was at a similar time too, so I think it'll be okay. 

Justice have been pretty easy to see recently and are up against Kasabian so think that'll be alright too. 

Anyway, these set times are an absolute dream. Only real clash for me is Japandroids and Justice/Kasabian. Jain overlapping with Jack White is kinda annoying but will still get to see her so that's cool. Well glad I can catch both Hurray for the Riff Raff and Frankie Cosmos, figured they'd be lost among that Saturday. 

Eels > FIDLAR > Tame Impala > Pearl Jam > Kasabian > Japandroids

Real Estate > The Big Moon > Marmozets > Jain > Jack White > Arctic Monkeys > Massive Attack > Erol Alkan

Wolf Alice > HFTRR > Frankie Cosmos > QOTSA > Depeche Mode > Nine Inch Nails > Underworld 

Edited by the wonderwhy

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Yeah, starting at 3.15am! Loads will leave after NIN.

Oh I'm confused, the post you replied to was about the dance tent being overly rammed for Justice and Massive Attack.

9 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

When I last saw Massive Attack in Spain it was a pretty small crowd. Was at a similar time too, so I think it'll be okay. 

Justice have been pretty easy to see recently and are up against Kasabian so think that'll be alright too. 

Anyway, these set times are an absolute dream. Only real clash for me is Japandroids and Justice/Kasabian. Jain overlapping with Jack White is kinda annoying but will still get to see her so that's cool. Well glad I can catch both Hurray for the Riff Raff and Frankie Cosmos, figured they'd be lost among that Saturday. 

Eels > FIDLAR > Tame Impala > Pearl Jam > Kasabian > Japandroids

Real Estate > The Big Moon > Marmozets > Jain > Jack White > Arctic Monkeys > Massive Attack > Erol Alkan

Wolf Alice > HFTRR > Frankie Cosmos > QOTSA > Depeche Mode > Nine Inch Nails > Underworld 

Go Justice and watch me die again instead.

I found my old post about Rock Werchter's schedule to compare it with Mad Cool's. Probably the biggest drawback we have is at Queens of the Stone Age with 30 minutes less compared to them. We will get 20 mins more for MGMT and Franz Ferdinand. 

Pearl Jam :120 min at RW, 125 at MC

Queens of the Stone Age: 105 min at RW, 75 min at MC

Jack White: 90 min at RW and MC

Arctic Monkeys: 90 min at RW and MC

Nine Inch Nails: 75 min at RW, 80 min at MC

Jack Johnson: 75 min at RW, 70 min at MC

James Bay: 75 min at RW, 60 min at MC

Fleet Foxes: 70 min at RW and MC

Post Malone: 60 min at RW, 70 min at MC

MGMT: 60 min at RW, 80 min at MC

Eels: 60 min at RW and MC

Franz Ferdinand: 60 min at RW, 80 min at MC

Snow Patrol: 60 min at RW, 75 min at MC

Alice In Chains: 60 min at RW, 70 min at MC

At the Drive In: 60 min at RW, 70 min at MC

Ben Howard: 60 min at RW and MC

Kaleo: 60 min at RW and MC

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club: 60 min at RW and MC

Gang of Youths: 50 min at RW, 35 min at MC

The Last Internationale: 45 min at RW, 60 min at MC

Rival Sons at 45 min at RW and 60 min at MC

Wolf Alice 35 min at RW, 50 min at MC

The White Buffalo 40 min at RW,  50 min at MC

Durand Jones and the Indications 45 min at RW, 40 min at MC

Edited by birchtree29
  • Upvote 2

My schedule looks like;

Thursday: Toundra, Fleet Foxes, Tame Impala, Pearl Jam, Justice, MGMT.

Friday: Real Estate, Sofi Tukker, Offenbach/ Snow Patrol(split), Odesza (for my wife), AM (first half), AiC (Second Half), Massive Attack, The Bloody Beetroots.

Saturday: Wolf Alice, Rag’n’Bone Man, Polo&Pan, QotSA (first half), PtM, Depeche Mode, Nine Inch Nails, CLOSE, Underworld. 

Missing: Eels, Washed out, kasabian, Maya Jane coles, at the drive in, jack white (=\), , Frans Ferdinand, La MODA( maybe we will see some of them), Erol Alkan, Jack Johnson, kaleo, Glass Animals, jet, future islands, and the black madonnna. ????

Edited by Writher

Thursday: Fleet Foxes (half of it to get a good spot for Tame Impala), Tame Impala, Pearl Jam, Justice, MGMT.

Friday: Sofi Tukker, Ofenbach or James Bay, Jack White, Arctic Monkeys, Franz Ferdinand (3 of my favorite artists will be back to back so I don't know who I will see after that amazing 5 Hours)

Saturday: LP, Jack Johnson, Queens of the Stone Age, Depeche Mode, Nine Inch Nails, Jet (until they play Are you gonna be my girl?) then Dua Lipa, Underworld 

On 6/5/2018 at 2:00 PM, big__phil said:

Yeah that's a weird one. They must know they'll share a similar fanbase, so having them on at the same seems strange to me.

I'll be at Kev.

If it helps make your decision Kevin Morby opened the main stage at Primavera last year and was incredible, he sounds as good (if not better) on the big stage as he does in a dingy club. Still gutted about missing Real Estate tho.

Wolf Alice > Hurray For The Riff Raff > Frankie Cosmos is such a great day opener.

2 hours ago, birchtree29 said:

Thursday: Fleet Foxes (half of it to get a good spot for Tame Impala), Tame Impala, Pearl Jam, Justice, MGMT.

Friday: Sofi Tukker, Ofenbach or James Bay, Jack White, Arctic Monkeys, Franz Ferdinand (3 of my favorite artists will be back to back so I don't know who I will see after that amazing 5 Hours)

Saturday: LP, Jack Johnson, Queens of the Stone Age, Depeche Mode, Nine Inch Nails, Jet (until they play Are you gonna be my girl?) then Dua Lipa, Underworld 

Your comment about leaving Fleet Foxes to get a good spot for TI has intrigued me. Will it not be possible to get a good spot (or at least a decent one with only a short distance to move after) at the Cool stage on the side nearest to the Mad stage and get good sound/view there for the whole Fleet Foxes set? It looks possible from the site visual but maybe I'm perceiving the size of the stages incorrectly 

2 minutes ago, Mattd1205 said:

Your comment about leaving Fleet Foxes to get a good spot for TI has intrigued me. Will it not be possible to get a good spot (or at least a decent one with only a short distance to move after) at the Cool stage on the side nearest to the Mad stage and get good sound/view there for the whole Fleet Foxes set? It looks possible from the site visual but maybe I'm perceiving the size of the stages incorrectly 

With main stages, it's not usually the distance, more the fact that 20,000 people are already in front of you :)

1 hour ago, Mattd1205 said:

Yes I am worried about the number of people instead of the distance. There will be thousands of people at Fleet Foxes just waiting for Pearl Jam at Mad Stage and it will be hard to switch stages.

I think that you can hear Fleet Foxes from Cool Stage while waiting for Tame Impala. I want to be near the front for Tame Impala because their visual show is amazing and since the screens for Cool stage will probably not be big as the ones in Panorama in NYC last year, being at front will change your view a lot. (https://youtu.be/_nI_Dk3KX6g

I have checked Fleet Foxes's schedule and they usually play the same setlist. I am planning to leave after Mykonos which is 5 songs earlier. https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/fleet-foxes/2018/harvard-athletic-complex-boston-ma-3bed1884.html If the crowd at Cool Stage is so big,then I will leave after Fool's Errand which is only the 6th song.

Edited by birchtree29
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MatheauWillis said:

If it helps make your decision Kevin Morby opened the main stage at Primavera last year and was incredible, he sounds as good (if not better) on the big stage as he does in a dingy club. Still gutted about missing Real Estate tho.

Wolf Alice > Hurray For The Riff Raff > Frankie Cosmos is such a great day opener.

I saw Real Estate last year, so it's a pretty easy decision TBF. They are both perfect in those 'early' slots though, just a shame they're on the same day really.

Stoked for HFTRR as well.

• Upvote 1