Mad Cool 2018

JBarbour

On 5/6/2018 at 11:49 PM, shotbru said:

Hi everyone, I bought a 3 day VIP ticket a while back, was going to be my once in a lifetime 50th birthday present to myself - however, real life has decided otherwise and due to uncertainty around my work situation I cannot afford the trip anymore.

Would really appreciate if someone could point me to the best place to re-sell or if anyone here is interested - selling at cost price, not looking to make money from this just want to recoup my costs and hopefully a passionate music fan can take it off me.

I have an e-ticket from Festicket in PDF format - have checked with them and it can be re-issued under the buyer's name, so when it gets to the sale point we can exchange personal details and I will have the ticket re-issued. For everyone else - have an awesome festival, I'm sure it's going to be a great experience, have fun on my behalf, cheers!

Do you still have it ? I need one 

1 hour ago, arcuse said:

And with that, I updated the clashfinder again. I think it looks pretty realistic by the looks of it and tried to keep it balanced (clashwise). I reckon we get the official schedule by the end of May (like last year, wasn't it?)

https://clashfinder.com/s/mcf18

Sadly, it looks realistic... a shitload of clashes for me :(

Anyway, about that wristbands problem I had (bought the tickets sent in the spain peninsula) - I talked with the assistence and they said that by this time they cannot make a switch of adress in order to send them in Italy where I live, but I can take the wristband(s) the first day of festival, as in any other festival!

I think the electronic headliners will be last on tbh. I think a lot of people will be leaving by the time they start at 3,  so i don't think capacity will be an issue, but also keeping a few bigger names til the end will convince people on the fence about calling it a night to stay. I'm doubtful many people are gonna stick around with the choice of Franz Ferdinand or Erol Alkan and Portugal. The Man or DJ Koze. 

It would also prevent some silly clashes. 

55 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

I think the electronic headliners will be last on tbh. I think a lot of people will be leaving by the time they start at 3,  so i don't think capacity will be an issue, but also keeping a few bigger names til the end will convince people on the fence about calling it a night to stay. I'm doubtful many people are gonna stick around with the choice of Franz Ferdinand or Erol Alkan and Portugal. The Man or DJ Koze. 

I think Bar Tool said that the headliners of the electronica stage would play after the headliners on the mainstage. By having relatively smaller acts closing the night, it means people would leave in bits and not in one big clusterfuck. Can you imagine everyone staying until 4:30 am and 80k people trying to leave the fest by car or metro in 1 time? It's better that people get spread out like that. 

1 hour ago, arcuse said:

I think Bar Tool said that the headliners of the electronica stage would play after the headliners on the mainstage. By having relatively smaller acts closing the night, it means people would leave in bits and not in one big clusterfuck. Can you imagine everyone staying until 4:30 am and 80k people trying to leave the fest by car or metro in 1 time? It's better that people get spread out like that. 

I don't think loads of people will stay around til half 4, that's my point. A lot of people tend to pack it in after the headliners - Beni was relatively empty by the time Massive Attack were playing in 2016, for example.  

On 5/7/2018 at 8:49 AM, shotbru said:

Hi everyone, I bought a 3 day VIP ticket a while back, was going to be my once in a lifetime 50th birthday present to myself - however, real life has decided otherwise and due to uncertainty around my work situation I cannot afford the trip anymore.

Would really appreciate if someone could point me to the best place to re-sell or if anyone here is interested - selling at cost price, not looking to make money from this just want to recoup my costs and hopefully a passionate music fan can take it off me.

I have an e-ticket from Festicket in PDF format - have checked with them and it can be re-issued under the buyer's name, so when it gets to the sale point we can exchange personal details and I will have the ticket re-issued. For everyone else - have an awesome festival, I'm sure it's going to be a great experience, have fun on my behalf, cheers!

FYI this ticket has now been sold, cheers

1 minute ago, avocado said:

"If you’re here looking for banging festival-sized anthems, you’ll be sorely let down." from NME review.

They are not wrong. I imagine they won't play a lot of it live at festivals.

I read it was inspired musically by the wonderful Histoire de Melody Nelson - and I can see the influence, but it's a very poor copy. Maybe a grower, but sounds lightweight at first listen.

1 minute ago, lighthouse said:

They're the Arctic Monkeys, of course they'll play a lot of their latest record live. They always do. Remember the Humbug shows, where 1/3rd of the setlist consisted of that album? 

They've been playing 4/5 tracks by the look of it, which isn't many in a long set. Suspect that's what they'll stick to.

Compared to someone like PJ Harvey, who just spent a year+ touring her entire album with only a handful of other songs, they're positive crowd pleasers :)

5 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

They played much more, no? I see they played 7-8 songs from the Humbug sessions at festivals like Reading and Pukkelpop in 2009. In 2014 they played around 8-9 AM songs each set.

I'm guessing we'll get around 6-7 songs from the new album in a festival set this year. Plus 4-ish AM tracks and a few older ones (can see IBTYLGOTD, Brianstorm, Shalalala, Cornerstone and Crying Lightning being played every time). AM normally isn't a typical 'crowd pleasing' band, they'll do whatever they like. 

I meant on this tour so far, from the new album.

AM may not have been fast paced, but it still had big songs, and was very well received. It may be that they were just holding back new stuff till the album was released, but by the time they play Mad Cool we should know.

I've been playing it for 4/5 days and I'm still undecided about it. 

Lack of bangers is a bit annoying, I always seem to catch them on a slow album tour.

Additionally, It feels a bit of an ego project from Turner (I've read unconfirmed reports that it was largely him on his piano alone who wrote it?). That said there are some pretty great tracks on it, I just don't see how they'll translate live. 

45 minutes ago, bluenova said:

They've been playing 4/5 tracks by the look of it, which isn't many in a long set. Suspect that's what they'll stick to.

That's half the album :P 

It was also pre-release, so I imagine they'll put a few more in now it's actually out. 

9 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

That's half the album :P 

It was also pre-release, so I imagine they'll put a few more in now it's actually out. 

Looking at the last couple of sets on setlist.com they played 4 off the new album out of 20 songs.

Given that they only had a few dates before the release I doubt they'd hold back, and then change the set completely, but you never know. My guess is they'll try a few out in the first few shows to see what works, then settle down, or add more if they're going well.

I think they will play 5-6 songs from the new album. I am worried about the big omissions though. Fluorescent Adolescent, When the sun goes down and Mardy Bum which are all crowd favorites are not included in their last 4 setlists. The good thing is that Mad Cool will be their 10th festival in June-July so their setlist will be settled by then. It will be more best hits based compared to Primavera.