Mad Cool 2018

JBarbour

8 minutes ago, birchtree29 said:

I don't think Justice and MGMT will conflict.

Bloody hope they don't. However that means Kasabian and Justice will, and that's not much better. The only way there's no clash between all three is one of them playing either before or at the time of Pearl Jam.

12 minutes ago, birchtree29 said:

Post Malone will probably be at one of the main stages. Mad Cool will not have a tent as big as the Sahara stage at Coachella

I don't know how big the Sahara stage is, but the Mad Cool "electronica" tent is supposed to hold 25.000 people. Post Malone will probably still be at one of the main stages though...

On 19-4-2018 at 11:37 AM, big__phil said:

Oh really? I thought someone said they were pretty much done.

No idea, I just followed the structure Bar Tool gave us 4-4-6 etc.

Electronic wise I think Thursday is feeling the most 'empty' one and Friday the most stacked. I feel like we still have a name for that stage to come but idk. I could see Justice and MGMT not clashing by putting them on M2 but I also feel like clashes are just bound to happen and I think MGMT is a better closer of the day than Kasabian, could be wrong tho.

As headliners of the Electronica stage, Massive Attack, Justice and Underworld are bound to clash with acts on the Mainstages. Bar Tool confirmed the spot of NiN months ago so it's either Underworld who goes up against Depeche Mode or QOTSA which is a spot I think they won't accept but, again, I could be wrong.

I know some clashes don't make sense (Perfume Genius & Sampha, ODESA & YF) so I probs change a few of those but  rock band on a smaller stage against PJ (or Kasabian) is just bound to happen with bands like Japandroids, Slaves, The Last Internationale, FIDLAR and Gang Of Youths. You can't put 'em all on the two Mainstages he

What's the reasoning behind Post Malone on the two mainstages, that he's popular? If he's up against a headliner it'll be just fine. He attracts a certain type of people and on a rock/alternative based line up as Mad Cool I think there won't be that many people for the sole purpose of seeing Malone.

re: Jet, yeah I know they're popular it was either them or Kaleo on the main and Kaleo seemed the most easy one I think, Jet in a tent seems more suitable for them I think but idk :P 

12 hours ago, arcuse said:

No idea, I just followed the structure Bar Tool gave us 4-4-6 etc.

I did a calculation on February 6 but they might have changed it

"Bar Tool (community manager of mad cool) have said a month ago that the number of artists in each stage  will be 4 4 6 7 7 8 8 which adds up to 44

Right now Thursday has 34, Friday has 37, Saturday has 36 artists which leaves 10 for Thursday, 7 for Friday and 8 for Sunday. Those add up to 25 new additions.

Bar Tool also have said 4 bands/artists from the band contest will be on the lineup each day so 25-12=13 artists left

2 more bands/artists from the band contest at Nos alive will also be added which bring it down to 11.

If they have brought it down to 40 bands per day, than there will not be any more additions besides the bands/artists from the contest but if it is 44 artists per day, then we might get another announcement for the last group of additions. Last year Manic Street Preachers and George Ezra were added 28 April."

Yeah I'd see that @birchtree29. On the clashfinder the 2 stages that are most empty are the two smallest stages with local bands but also smaller international bands. On the two stages combined, there are 23 spots left to fill in, with the contests aside that'd mean 9 more smaller artists which I think would be fine as late addition, one bigger electronic act for Thursday and a closing techno DJ on the Friday. I think that's fairly reasonable, if they do have some late additions. 

Who knows if there will be some late additions (beside talent I expect none or not more than a couple), but as I said before, time spots on that clashfinder are wrong, concerts range from 18.00h to 04.30h.

Also Bar Tool has said nothing since early January and many things have changed. For instance, it was expected to announce parking location and stuff within that very same month, but no word since. Also their space area has changed and with it probably their number of tickets on sale, among other stuff, too. Likewise their projected band numbers have been constantly changing since the very beginning. It's quite likely that they finally went through a smaller lineup, but a higher quality one.

65 bands are in the talent competition, then whittled down to 15, before 9 winners get places at Mad Cool. Nine seems too convenient for a three day festival, so presumably it'll be three a day? Winners will be announced 10th May, you can vote on the list of 65 as of tomorrow.

I can't help but think there might be a couple of recognisable names joining them, always have done and nine to complete the line up doesnt add up to what 'Bar Tool' was saying previously, not that that's gospel. If we don't it's still the best line up I've seen in a very long time, but would be a more exciting finish if there were a couple of surprises in the final announcement.

https://madcoolfestival.es/noticia/seleccionados-mad-cool-talent-2018

• Like 1

On 21-4-2018 at 2:50 PM, Joshua Homme said:

Who knows if there will be some late additions (beside talent I expect none or not more than a couple), but as I said before, time spots on that clashfinder are wrong, concerts range from 18.00h to 04.30h.

Yes but that was last year? There's no way they can put 4 bands each on the Mainstages and have them have a decent setlength? I think we're going to a formula similar to what NOS's schedule is like; opening at 5 pm and bands playing untill 4/5 am. There's just no way they can have that many bands (8 at most) at one stage in that time period without scratching on their setlength when Bar Tool told us beforehand they want to secure bands having a good setlength and therefor book less bands than anticipated. 

I've been going through this clashfinder,

first of all I hope that it is not correct - too many clashes (ATDR vs. ben Howard vs. Massive Attack :-( ). 

I don't think that Ofenbach and Sofi Tukker are going to play 90min - in my eyes they haven't got enough material to play (even as electronic act).

If Wolf Alice are on the radio station stage i expect them to play later. (especially if you look at hurray for the riff raff).

I would put Portugal.The Man before Depeche Mode.

Massive Attack could play earlier - maybe Odesza, Kalkbrenner and Erol Alkan are later.

53 minutes ago, with_tired_eyes said:

first of all I hope that it is not correct - too many clashes (ATDR vs. ben Howard vs. Massive Attack

Those attract are 3 different kind of fanbases?? I mean I guess the clash applies to you but for the majority, not really. Ofenbach will probably do a DJset since they're playing the Perry Stage at Lolla Berlin aswell. Sofi Tukker just released an album didn't they, though I've changed their set time from 1h30 to 1h15 and gave an extra 15 min to Massive Attack. If I were to put Wolf Alice later, they'd conflict with QOTSA or NiN though playing against Depeche Mode is probably a solution idk.

It's all about counterprogramming though there will undeniably be conflicts, that's for sure. 

4 minutes ago, arcuse said:

Those attract are 3 different kind of fanbases?? I mean I guess the clash applies to you but for the majority, not really. Ofenbach will probably do a DJset since they're playing the Perry Stage at Lolla Berlin aswell. Sofi Tukker just released an album didn't they, though I've changed their set time from 1h30 to 1h15 and gave an extra 15 min to Massive Attack. If I were to put Wolf Alice later, they'd conflict with QOTSA or NiN though playing against Depeche Mode is probably a solution idk.

It's all about counterprogramming though there will undeniably be conflicts, that's for sure. 

Sofi Tukker playing around 14/15 Songs on solo-shows, so I don't think they play longer than 50 min. 

Those attract are 3 different kind of fanbases??

You may be right, but it's still pretty hard if you don't stay in just one fanbase. I personally would try to see every second act in the lineup :-) So that's no general critism, just a individual problem of me.

4 hours ago, arcuse said:

Yes but that was last year? There's no way they can put 4 bands each on the Mainstages and have them have a decent setlength? I think we're going to a formula similar to what NOS's schedule is like; opening at 5 pm and bands playing untill 4/5 am. There's just no way they can have that many bands (8 at most) at one stage in that time period without scratching on their setlength when Bar Tool told us beforehand they want to secure bands having a good setlength and therefor book less bands than anticipated. 

Can't go past 4.30h as it goes against Madrid's city hall legislation.

And the schedule got released by Bar Tool in January.

Comienzo del directo 18:00 hasta 04:30

(directs start at 18h till 4.30h)

https://www.foroazkenarock.com/t58574p75-mad-cool-2018-abonos-agotados-entradas-de-dia-todavia-no

When it comes to how many bands play at each stage, those figures were meant to be approximate. I think this clashfinder is (overall) getting things quite right:

https:///s/mc18/

Edited by Joshua Homme

I've been a long time lurker on eFestivals for years, but I thought I'd sign up to seek clarification about something. I'm looking at getting a day ticket to the Friday 13th (AM/Jack White/etc), but there seem to be multiple tiers, and I was just curious what I get extra for my additional 6 Euro.

54 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I've been a long time lurker on eFestivals for years, but I thought I'd sign up to seek clarification about something. I'm looking at getting a day ticket to the Friday 13th (AM/Jack White/etc), but there seem to be multiple tiers, and I was just curious what I get extra for my additional 6 Euro.

?

There's the VIP and the normal ticket and that's it.

Yo are probably referring to the extra cost of delivering the ticket outside the peninsula (Spain/Andorra/Portugal).

Apologies for the weird formatting - copied the bit in speech bubbles from TM and seems on the blink... but I digress...

11 hours ago, Joshua Homme said:

?

There's the VIP and the normal ticket and that's it.

Yo are probably referring to the extra cost of delivering the ticket outside the peninsula (Spain/Andorra/Portugal).

On the Ticketmaster Spain website was listings for "Entrada Día 13 + envío pulsera peninsula" and "Entrada Día 13 + envío pulsera fuera peninsula", and I was just curious why the second of those is an extra 6 Euros.

It probably does indeed make sense that the phrase after the ticket name is in reference to shipping costs to get it from Spain to the UK, but I was just curious why one had an extra fee on top.

Edited by charlierc

7 hours ago, charlierc said:

Apologies for the weird formatting - copied the bit in speech bubbles from TM and seems on the blink... but I digress...

On the Ticketmaster Spain website was listings for "Entrada Día 13 + envío pulsera peninsula" and "Entrada Día 13 + envío pulsera fuera peninsula", and I was just curious why the second of those is an extra 6 Euros.

It probably does indeed make sense that the phrase after the ticket name is in reference to shipping costs to get it from Spain to the UK, but I was just curious why one had an extra fee on top.

The extra fee is delivery 'feura peninsula' - outside peninsula