Mad Cool 2018

JBarbour

Day splits of the bands announced so far, will be released on monday, but it will quite similar to that:

THURSDAY

Pearl Jam
Kasabian
Justice
Fleet Foxes
MGMT
Japandroids
Yo La Tengo
Washed Out
Sampha
Gold Panda

FRIDAY

Massive Attack
At the Drive-in
Snow Patrol
La MODA
Real Estate
Perfume Genius
Ofenbach
Marmozets
Black Pistol Fire
Morgan

SATURDAY

Depeche Mode
Queens of the Stone Age
NIN
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Future Islands
Jack Johnson
RagnBone
Angel Stanich
Black Madonna

Just now, johnybegood said:

Day splits of the bands announced so far, will be released on monday, but it will quite similar to that:

THURSDAY

Pearl Jam
Kasabian
Justice
Fleet Foxes
MGMT
Japandroids
Yo La Tengo
Washed Out
Sampha
Gold Panda

FRIDAY

Massive Attack
At the Drive-in
Snow Patrol
La MODA
Real Estate
Perfume Genius
Ofenbach
Marmozets
Black Pistol Fire
Morgan

SATURDAY

Depeche Mode
Queens of the Stone Age
NIN
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Future Islands
Jack Johnson
RagnBone
Angel Stanich
Black Madonna

PJ & unmissable saturday

1 minute ago, johnybegood said:

Metallica is playing twice in Madrid in 2018. Can't see it happening.

Aye, its unlikely but not impossible. They're in middle of a European tour but nothing announced for the Summer yet so they could do a few festivals in the summer as they usually like to do.

2 minutes ago, moz4pm said:

Aye, its unlikely but not impossible. They're in middle of a European tour but nothing announced for the Summer yet so they could do a few festivals in the summer as they usually like to do.

Supposedly their 2018 has been postponed, which is why they aren't at Download.

@johnnybgood, it might seem like a stupid question but what's the deal with this year's edition? I mean they had pretty good lineups before but this edition looks like its going to be really MASSIVE, taste aside. What has changed? OK so they're moving to a bigger place and will probably sell a lot of tickets but there is no money from camping (and campers), a relatively short program (music starts from 18:30) means that people will buy drinks, alcohol and food outside the festival area for most of the day and as far as I know Spain economy isn't in at its best. Don't get me wrong, everything so far sounds amazing but I wonder how it became so massive and if there's a chance that the budget they allocate for the music side can affect other areas of the festival (like planning, infrastructure, security etc...)

23 minutes ago, e2p2 said:

@johnnybgood, it might seem like a stupid question but what's the deal with this year's edition? I mean they had pretty good lineups before but this edition looks like its going to be really MASSIVE, taste aside. What has changed? OK so they're moving to a bigger place and will probably sell a lot of tickets but there is no money from camping (and campers), a relatively short program (music starts from 18:30) means that people will buy drinks, alcohol and food outside the festival area for most of the day and as far as I know Spain economy isn't in at its best. Don't get me wrong, everything so far sounds amazing but I wonder how it became so massive and if there's a chance that the budget they allocate for the music side can affect other areas of the festival (like planning, infrastructure, security etc...)

It's an interesting question. My opinion is that there is a huge war between spanish festivals. In the same weekend you have BBK Live, Resurrection Fest, Cruilla Festival and Mad Cool. Besides, Download Madrid, Barcelona Rock Fest and FIB happens really close to that weekend. 

In 2019, Doctor Music Festival (that was the most important spanish festival in the late 90's) will come back after a 20 years hiatus in the same location (Pirineus Zone) and I'm sure that will be the same weekend (or close to that one).

All spanish people ask the same question: why all festivals in the same dates?? The answer given by some CM of these festivals is that european routing of big artists obligate spanish festivals to happen first or second weekend in July.

So, there is a huge war between spanish fests, so huge ammounts of money are getting payed to artists.

Mad Cool is owned by Javier Arnaiz (who was one of the most important guys of LTI -BBK Live and Azkena orginzators- and by Live Nation. So some artists are booked in Europe with exclusivity by Live Nation, so it ensures that they will play Mad Cool  or Download Madrid (also a LN festival).

Mad Cool and BBK have huge money grants from local authoroty in Madrid and Bilbao, so that makes them have a bit of advantage with the rest of Spanish festivals.

So, Mad Cool have: the experience of and Ex LTI chief, plus the financial support from Live Nation, plug huge grants from Ayutamiento de Madrid (local authority) and Comunidad de Madrid (autonomic authority) so now that the artist are more expensive than ever, they have more financial potencial to invest. 

I don't know if this festival is profitable, but I'm sure that their promoters are risking expending a lot of money and moving to a bigger site (80k people). The festival is growing really fast, so in a few years we will realize if they can go on with it. 

Madrid needed a big festival, 5 milliones people living here. I'm so happy to see it happening.

Don't be worry about security or planning. These people have been working in festivals for a long time. But this is a new festival, so it's logical that they make some mistakes that a veteran festival as Werchter or Roskilde would never make.

Edited by johnybegood
  • Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, johnybegood said:

It's an interesting question. My opinion is that there is a huge war between spanish festivals. In the same weekend you have BBK Live, Resurrection Fest, Cruilla Festival and Mad Cool. Besides, Download Madrid, Barcelona Rock Fest and FIB happens really close to that weekend. 

In 2019, Doctor Music Festival (that was the most important spanish festival in the late 90's) will come back after a 20 years hiatus in the same location (Pirineus Zone) and I'm sure that will be the same weekend (or close to that one).

All spanish people ask the same question: why all festivals in the same dates?? The answer given by some CM of these festivals is that european routing of big artists obligate spanish festivals to happen first or second weekend in July.

So, there is a huge war between spanish fests, so huge ammounts of money are getting payed to artists.

Mad Cool is owned by Javier Arnaiz (who was one of the most important guys of LTI -BBK Live and Azkena orginzators- and by Live Nation. So some artists are booked in Europe with exclusivity by Live Nation, so it ensures that they will play Mad Cool  or Download Madrid (also a LN festival).

Mad Cool and BBK have huge money grants from local authoroty in Madrid and Bilbao, so that makes them have a bit of advantage with the rest of Spanish festivals.

So, Mad Cool have: the experience of and Ex LTI chief, plus the financial support from Live Nation, plug huge grants from Ayutamiento de Madrid (local authority) and Comunidad de Madrid (autonomic authority) so now that the artist are more expensive than ever, they have more financial potencial to invest. 

I don't know if this festival is profitable, but I'm sure that their promoters are risking expending a lot of money and moving to a bigger site (80k people). The festival is growing really fast, so in a few years we will realize if they can go on with it. 

Madrid needed a big festival, 5 milliones people living here. I'm so happy to see it happening.

Don't be worry about security or planning. These people have been working in festivals for a long time. But this is a new festival, so it's logical that they make some mistakes that a veteran festival as Werchter or Roskilde would never make.

Thanks a lot for the long and detailed response! A great city like Madrid deserve a great festival and I do hope it will be profitable for them to keep trying hard. 

• Upvote 1

God if the final headliner is Arctics Monkeys then this lineup is mad...

Pearl Jam - Justice

Arctic Monkeys - Massive Attack

QOTSA - Depeche Mode - NIN

Plus ATDI, Black Madonna and a few other great acts, too.

Realised earlier that my dad keeps nagging me about what I want for Christmas and I had no ideas. I have now.

12 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Pearl Jam - Justice

Realised earlier that my dad keeps nagging me about what I want for Christmas and I had no ideas. I have now.

And you've even forgotten Kasabian and Snow Patrol ahah

Hi all. Two quick questions.

Is there any way to gain access to the early bird ticket sale without having been to Mad Cool before??

Secondly I am trying to organise flights for Mad Cool. If we were to fly into Madrid at 4.45 on Thursday afternoon would it be too late to drop bags at city centre hostel and still make the first bands on stage?? I noticed that bands began around 7.00 last year, can we expect the same this year?? Apologies, have never been to Madrid before so not sure of transport links between airport and city etc.

Any information welcomed. 

11 hours ago, laynestaley said:

Hi all. Two quick questions.

Is there any way to gain access to the early bird ticket sale without having been to Mad Cool before??

Secondly I am trying to organise flights for Mad Cool. If we were to fly into Madrid at 4.45 on Thursday afternoon would it be too late to drop bags at city centre hostel and still make the first bands on stage?? I noticed that bands began around 7.00 last year, can we expect the same this year?? Apologies, have never been to Madrid before so not sure of transport links between airport and city etc.

Any information welcomed. 

Answering your second question, looks like mission impossible. Barajas is one of the busiest and biggest airports in Europe. You'll be very lucky to be in city centre by 6pm. First day at festivals always has longest queues. This year took me approximately 2 hours to get my wristband. Was there about 5pm, entered Caja Magica at 7.15. As it has been mentioned before next year will be a different location, might be faster or slower (more tickets, more checks, more wristbands to give)

30 minutes ago, Death By Sexy said:

Is this festival already sold out? If no, how quickly does it sell out? I really want to see NIN.

EDIT: Oops, sales start at 5th of december, didn't see it earlier.

I'd also like to know a rough date this will sell out. I'm thinking nos or werchter but NIN and snow patrol are a must watch for me 

Edited by lightsnowpatrol

On 1/12/2017 at 3:25 PM, Will-2609 said:

Pearl Jam - Justice

Don't think it can compete at all with what Rock Werchter achieved this year.

Foo Fighters, Radiohead, Linkin Park, System Of A Down, Kings Of Leon and Arcade Fire.

Plus Imagine Dragons, Lorde, Prophets Of Rage, Royal Blood and Blink-182.

Edited by jacjens

1 minute ago, jacjens said:

Don't think it can compete at all with what Rock Werchter achieved this year.

Foo Fighters, Radiohead, Linkin Park, System Of A Down, Kings Of Leon and Arcade Fire.

Plus Imagine Dragons, Lorde, Prophets Of Rage, Royal Blood and Blink-182.

Meh it's big but half of those acts are terrible imo. Wouldn't be seen dead watching Linkin Park, Imagine Dragons or Blink-182, and also wouldn't care about seeing Foos, KoL or Royal Blood. The rest is good but I'll take the Mad Cool lineup so far over it.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, pete76 said:

Answering your second question, looks like mission impossible. Barajas is one of the busiest and biggest airports in Europe. You'll be very lucky to be in city centre by 6pm. First day at festivals always has longest queues. This year took me approximately 2 hours to get my wristband. Was there about 5pm, entered Caja Magica at 7.15. As it has been mentioned before next year will be a different location, might be faster or slower (more tickets, more checks, more wristbands to give)

Looks like the wristbands/bracelets will be sent out in advance once tickets are purchased so this will save a lot of time on Day 1 thankfully.

50 minutes ago, lightsnowpatrol said:

I'd also like to know a rough date this will sell out. I'm thinking nos or werchter but NIN and snow patrol are a must watch for me 

I honestly bet Mad Cool, NOS Alive and Rock Werchter worked together this year to book certain bands together to let 'm play at all three. (in the absence of Glastonbury in mind, why not right?) Now about the selling out thing, idk exactly but isn't this very comparable to NOS Alive aswell? Was around March when NOS sold out last year I think, but I could be wrong. 

• Upvote 1