Bestival 2018 incoming!

smogo

20 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Diplo has now released two (pretty damn good) singles with new supergroup LSD whereas he still has nothing to show for Silk City. RdB must be getting a bit miffed at that. :lol:

I believe I read that they are performing live first prior for the first time at The Governors Ball at the start of next month before releasing any material, pretty sure I read that somewhere. 

4 hours ago, BigKev88 said:

I believe I read that they are performing live first prior for the first time at The Governors Ball at the start of next month before releasing any material, pretty sure I read that somewhere. 

I see. I thought they'd probably preview a little bit to get people to that Governor's Ball set but it'll be interesting to see what they have cooking up.

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, finn_with_1_n said:

Silk City have released their first single. Although I personally prefer the LSD cuts and it would probably suit Bestival's line-up this year better, I still think this is a pretty great track

Yep, thinking just about the same. It's a pretty good start but I'm surprised that it's probably the least typically radio-friendly thing Diplo has put out this year, given that it's hard 10x the hype. Undeniable that the man has hit a purple patch though so I would trust the Friday headline slot to deliver.

20 minutes ago, Homer said:

Not bad, like the bass. Still seems a bit off to me that these guys are headliners when Justice were only deemed big enough to be subs last time!

Yeah but they're clearly scaling down headline bookings so I think Justice would headline this now. Would be grand if they were but they've probably been slipped a fatter cheque to headline the tent at All Points East.

On 5/24/2018 at 2:39 PM, dentalplan said:

Yeah but they're clearly scaling down headline bookings so I think Justice would headline this now. Would be grand if they were but they've probably been slipped a fatter cheque to headline the tent at All Points East.

Oh, is it scaled down from last year as well then? I was just thinking it was smaller compared to the previous site's events. Are the tickets cheaper than last year too then? I can't keep up!

• 2 weeks later...

It’s a 30,000 capacity site. When it was on the IOW it was 50,000. And yes it’s a bit cheaper.

On 5/29/2018 at 4:08 PM, Homer said:

Oh, is it scaled down from last year as well then? I was just thinking it was smaller compared to the previous site's events. Are the tickets cheaper than last year too then? I can't keep up!

On 6/10/2018 at 7:33 AM, rseamer said:

It’s a 30,000 capacity site. When it was on the IOW it was 50,000. And yes it’s a bit cheaper.

Homer was specifically talking about last year, not when it was on the IOW.

And I don't think it has particularly scaled down from last year - The budgets might just be being spread across the the day a bit more.

On 6/11/2018 at 11:07 AM, GrumpyRaver said:

Homer was specifically talking about last year, not when it was on the IOW.

And I don't think it has particularly scaled down from last year - The budgets might just be being spread across the the day a bit more.

Ah sorry! 

My mistake. 

The capacity is the same this year as it was last.

15 hours ago, Joshuwarr said:

Been about five years since I went to Bestival. Is the after hours entertainment still top notch? Does the grand palace of entertainment still exist too?

Aye, it's better than most big festivals. Think The Temple and Bollywood go on until about 3am, Caravanserai goes on til around 4am, as does Stacey's Funk & Soul place.

There' other venues going on til late like The Jagerhaus and The Desperados Club House, plus various things going on  like Club Dada and The Ambiet Forest. 

I think they've got rid of The Grand Palace of Entertainment, although the usual suspects who have played that before tend to still show up on stages like Caravanserai, Club Dada, and HMS Bestival...

Beginning to get a bit concerned about clashes now with the slow drip-feed of day splits being released.

Shogun Audio & Metalheadz takeovers both on Friday... SURELY they can't clash? Bicep also the same night ?‍♂️

It's my first year @ Bestival, can anyone remember when are set times usually released?

11 hours ago, quilani said:

Beginning to get a bit concerned about clashes now with the slow drip-feed of day splits being released.

Shogun Audio & Metalheadz takeovers both on Friday... SURELY they can't clash? Bicep also the same night ?‍♂️

It's my first year @ Bestival, can anyone remember when are set times usually released?

Really really late. Might only be day or two before

Tickets came this week, don’t even think the last payment on the payment plan had been taken when they arrived 

• 4 weeks later...

First time heading to bestival since 2013, I was wondering how much smaller the site is? How's the campsite to arena journey and is it Glastonbury style carrying drink in all areas or is it banned to bring alcohol into the arena. Looking forward to the festival lots of good acts that I probably wouldn't normally see. 

13 minutes ago, PorkSoda said:

First time heading to bestival since 2013, I was wondering how much smaller the site is? How's the campsite to arena journey and is it Glastonbury style carrying drink in all areas or is it banned to bring alcohol into the arena. Looking forward to the festival lots of good acts that I probably wouldn't normally see. 

I haven't been to Bestival since it moved from the Isle of Wight, but the official website indicates that you can't bring alcohol in to the arena, and you can only bring in total to the festival the following amounts of alcohol;

16 × 440ml cans of lager/cider/beer
OR
17 × 250ml cans of premix spirit drinks
OR
3-litre carton/bag/box of wine
OR
7-litres of cider/lager/beer in plastic bottles/cans/bags

Plastic or glass bottles spirits are not allowed. You will be asked to leave excess quantities outside the event.

NOTE - It also says that - You will NOT be allowed to re-enter the festival site with alcohol once you’ve entered the festival site via the entrance gates.

Note sure how strict they'll be on the arena alcohol restrictions. They used to be notoriously lapse at policing this in years gone by on the Isle of Wight, so it'll be interesting to see if things have changed.

2 hours ago, PorkSoda said:

I did Bestival last year for the first time and whilst you're not allowed to take your own booze into the arena they were very lax with the checks.

They asked me if I had any drinks in my backpack I said no (I did), they let me in. Someone was carrying a water bottle of vodka, they asked "what's that?", she said "water" and they let her in. Even saw someone with two cans in their hands pull their sleeves down to cover them and they were fine! All depends on the security on the day I suppose.

Also didn't get checked on entry for quantities as I had spirits (in a plastic bottle, of course!) on me. But again, I expect if you get pulled for a search they'll confiscate.

3 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I16 × 440ml cans of lager/cider/beer
OR
17 × 250ml cans of premix spirit drinks
OR
3-litre carton/bag/box of wine
OR
7-litres of cider/lager/beer in plastic bottles/cans/bags

That's not Bestival, think that's Boomtown, which apparently doesn't allow anyone to bring spirits, even in plastic bottles. Bestival slightly simpler (and more generous):

"1 crate of cans/plastic bottles (24 max.) & 70cl of spirits

OR

1 crate of cans/plastic bottles (24 max.) & up to 3 litres of wine in a plastic bottle or carton/bag/box"

41 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

That's not Bestival, think that's Boomtown, which apparently doesn't allow anyone to bring spirits, even in plastic bottles. Bestival slightly simpler (and more generous):

"1 crate of cans/plastic bottles (24 max.) & 70cl of spirits

OR

1 crate of cans/plastic bottles (24 max.) & up to 3 litres of wine in a plastic bottle or carton/bag/box"

I thought I'd made a mistake there for a minute, but I've just checked their terms and conditions on the website and that's what it says - see items 14, 15, 16, and 17 (From General Terms & Conditions onwards);

http://www.bestival.net/info/terms-and-conditions

Edited by Yoghurt on a Stick

26 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I thought I'd made a mistake there for a minute, but I've just checked their terms and conditions on the website and that's what it says - see items 14, 15, 16, and 17 (From General Terms & Conditions onwards);

http://www.bestival.net/info/terms-and-conditions

Ha! And yet on 2 other pages they give the bigger allowance I've quoted:

http://www.bestival.net/info/prohibited-items

http://www.bestival.net/info/faqs-1-1

1 hour ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Ha! And yet on 2 other pages they give the bigger allowance I've quoted:

http://www.bestival.net/info/prohibited-items

http://www.bestival.net/info/faqs-1-1

It's odd that they would get something like that wrong - the alcohol allowance being so very important to the 'thirsty'. There's no way I'm sticking to any quota other than that governed by personal finances, in any case.

As an aside, I was in a hardware type shop this morning looking for organic plant fertilizer. Not that I'm with it PC or anything, it's just that I didn't want fertilizer that was predominantly nitrogen based, as it's not recommended for the sapling that I've re planted elsewhere in the garden. Anyway, I boringly digress - what I want to really say is that they also had those plastic bags that you can put fish in to in the oven. These are, apparently, good for storing your cannot be without 'medication' in, to avoid odours escaping from your bag and on to the noses of sniffer dogs. Five bags for a pound - bargain. I'll use all five bags to wrap the stuff, to be on the safe side, washing hands between each ensuing enveloping of the goodies (never can be too careful). I'm going in a campervan, so it should be a piece of piss to bring in shed loads of drink and naughties - even if a thorough search of the van takes place. I tend to hide long Rizzla papers too, as this is such a giveaway.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2