Bestival 2018 incoming!

smogo

At least if they save on costs they’ll have more money to spend on the site for Bestival if gets hammered after Camp B - So far in its history they’ve only had 1 really wet Camp Bestival, so from a risk point of view, the risk of it happening is low, but it’s a big hazard to deal with if it does happen! 

Hmmm. I guess this means that either Camp Bestival gets more infrastructure or Bestival gets less. Doesn't really leave any time for the crew to get to work between festivals...

Not sure how this will effect traders either, lots of them do both the festivals. It's quite a challenge for them to be on site for 2 weeks I would imagine...

7 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

:lol:

Nothing to do with hugely shaving the production costs, of course, or even a humongous site fee saving.

He did use the word selfishly in his tweet - and let’s face it one of the reasons Bestival is still going - they’re not afraid to make hard business decisions.

Also here’s what Bestival say in a tweet

Edited by rseamer

7 minutes ago, Homer said:

Is it just me or are tickets cheaper? Bit confusing as I gather the refundable part may not be quite as refundable as you would hope.

I think the early birds at £139 are but then there’s the eco bond, booking fees, parking etc.

It looks like Bestival is going to stick at being a mid sized festival rather than trying to compete at the 50k + capacity levels when they had Stevie Wonder etc based on those prices.

2 hours ago, rseamer said:

He did use the word selfishly in his tweet - and let’s face it one of the reasons Bestival is still going - they’re not afraid to make hard business decisions.

Also here’s what Bestival say in a tweet

There ain't a plan on earth that would have made the site suitable for a festival the week after Camp Bestival this year......... except the plan to cancel at short notice.

Changing thew dates to then simply smacks of desire to increase profits and nothing else - after all Bestival this year was mostly based around how much money they could extract from punters.

I don't get the connection to students for moving the dates either - they don't go back til the end of September do they?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jackarmy said:

Someone on twitter reckons they're changing the dates of it next year...

These dates don't work for me really and I'm very surprised that they've moved it to the week before Boomtown. 

As a Bestival veteran and someone who would have gone to both Boomtown and Bestival again next year, I'm now forced to make the choice and Boomtown wins.  This applies to all of my friends and I can't see that we'll be alone so Bestival have reduced their market.

It's just not possible for me to get home from Bestival on Mon 6th Aug and leave for Boomtown on Thurs 9th Aug...

I think I'd have even struggled with that back when I was an 18 year old student!

4 minutes ago, stu_kent said:

I'm very surprised that they've moved it to the week before Boomtown. 

I'm pretty sure that the only other festival date they were interested in when deciding when Bestival should be was the date of Camp Bestival, so they could dovetail the infrastructure.

As for the Boomtown almost-conflict, i'd say that Bestival know they've already lost that one. My take is that Bestival had already lost the vast majority who might do Boomtown to Boomtown, and that was what caused the need to downsize.

37 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

As for the Boomtown almost-conflict, i'd say that Bestival know they've already lost that one. My take is that Bestival had already lost the vast majority who might do Boomtown to Boomtown, and that was what caused the need to downsize.

This may be so but a few of us have done Glasto, Boomtown, Bestival for the last 3 years and some others I knows that have done Glasto + Boomtown would probably have done Boomtown + Bestival next year.

It's doable when there's a month gap but not when they finish and start in the same week.