Jump to content
eFestivals

Boomtown 2018

Recommended Posts

So Earache Records put out a clue about their secret guest (Saturday)... they have headlined the John Peel stage in last 10 years.

A quick scan of wikipedia puts this as the following rock/heavy options.

Ash, Enter Shikari (doubling up?), Crystal Castles, Biffy Clyro, Suede.

Ash are playing Boardmasters on the Friday so perhaps most likely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As for sniffer dogs from what I've heard it's not worth the risk as Hampshire police will almost certainly charge you if they find anything on you. There's plenty of the good stuff on sale around the site in any event, last year was our first year and we took nothing ourselves but still found some top notch stuff. If you're worried about buying inside there's always the testing guys on site.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, festifreak said:

So Earache Records put out a clue about their secret guest (Saturday)... they have headlined the John Peel stage in last 10 years.

A quick scan of wikipedia puts this as the following rock/heavy options.

Ash, Enter Shikari (doubling up?), Crystal Castles, Biffy Clyro, Suede.

Ash are playing Boardmasters on the Friday so perhaps most likely.

Surely nobody is still booking Crystal Castles?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

Surely nobody is still booking Crystal Castles?

Hopefully not indeed! 

Perhaps it will just be a second slot for Enter Shikari as a stage opener - they are listed for midday on their own website.

Edit: Earache say Saturday night - so unless it is stage opener on Town Centre then not that.

Edited by festifreak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2018 at 6:55 PM, pilton digger said:

normally 1900 at the bad apple. 

See you there! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First time going, wondering if anyones got any recommendations for a campsite. Suppose it depends on the year and people but thought i'd ask anyway if there's any infamous ones i should know about

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, flashkop said:

First time going, wondering if anyones got any recommendations for a campsite. Suppose it depends on the year and people but thought i'd ask anyway if there's any infamous ones i should know about

Best place to camp guide:

http://boomtownsource.com/2018/07/best-campsite/

If you want a "party campsite", Dstrkt 5 is probably the one. But to be honest the whole festival is a giant party anyway.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sku said:

Thanks for this link, very useful for a first-timer like me!

We (gf & me) will be spending most of our time at the Uptown stages. The Old Town & Copper County camp sites already sounded like the most attractive ones before I read this guide. But we're arriving by coach at 2 PM, which I guess is fairly late... so I'm a bit fearful now that those 2 will have completely filled up by then?

Any advice on where we'll still find a spot by the time we get through the gates? Just looking for 'a' spot, it doesn't need to be a perfect one on flat ground or anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sku said:

Best place to camp guide:

http://boomtownsource.com/2018/07/best-campsite/

If you want a "party campsite", Dstrkt 5 is probably the one. But to be honest the whole festival is a giant party anyway.

thank you! that's just what I needed! One of my pals will be going in the wednesday with a few others whereas the rest of us arrive the thursday at various times (some later than others), he was thinking of district 5 already so what are our odds for getting space  there at this point? Does it get as full the wednesday as it says or are we better off picking a different one if we wanna make sure we stick together?

Edited by flashkop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wun Weg Wun Dar Wun said:

Thanks for this link, very useful for a first-timer like me!

We (gf & me) will be spending most of our time at the Uptown stages. The Old Town & Copper County camp sites already sounded like the most attractive ones before I read this guide. But we're arriving by coach at 2 PM, which I guess is fairly late... so I'm a bit fearful now that those 2 will have completely filled up by then?

Any advice on where we'll still find a spot by the time we get through the gates? Just looking for 'a' spot, it doesn't need to be a perfect one on flat ground or anything.

It's tough to say because so much is different this year. My perception is that it will fill up fast this year. It is a big field though. If you just have a small tent the two of you, it's always possible to scout a space somewhere. One person looks after the stuff, the other can have a quick scout about.

The hilly spots will naturally be less popular. Also the eastern side is less popular, as it's on the "wrong" side of the valley which runs down the middle.

45 minutes ago, flashkop said:

thank you! that's just what I needed! One of my pals will be going in the wednesday with a few others whereas the rest of us arrive the thursday at various times (some later than others), he was thinking of district 5 already so what are our odds for getting space  there at this point? Does it get as full the wednesday as it says or are we better off picking a different one if we wanna make sure we stick together?

Anyone arriving on Wednesday has a fairly good chance of getting a spot down there. It might be difficult to keep reserving spots for mates on Thursday though. It's never opened Wednesday before so it's a bit of guess work on my part really. But Dstrkt 5 is going to look like the prime place to camp for everyone who arrives Wednesday, making it busy from the start.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get your mate to take your tent and put it up for you on the Wednesday

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's the first year they've done the Wed/Thurs split entry so it will be hard to say how fast the spaces will fill but I presume most of the busy areas will be nearly full Thursday afternoon. Last year we got in at dusk despite being near the front of the coach queue (due to the queue fiasco), and there weren't many spaces left in  the busy areas. 

I recommend having a back-up plan in case your original designated area is full. The site is large,  hilly and somewhat hard to navigate, so trekking around aimlessly with tons of gear can be tiring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First time going to Boomtown (buzzing), does anyone know if there is much going on music wise during the day thursday?

Debating arriving early or late afternoon to miss the que's.

Also do they sell spirits inside or is it beer / cider only?

Thankss :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Seshtival said:

First time going to Boomtown (buzzing), does anyone know if there is much going on music wise during the day thursday?

Debating arriving early or late afternoon to miss the que's.

Also do they sell spirits inside or is it beer / cider only?

Thankss :)

According to last years timetable they had a handful of things going on in the day, but most things started around 6/8pm and ended at midnight. Friday's the official start.

https://www.boomtownfair.co.uk/news/2017-10-03-ch9-timetable/

The bars sell spirits - I think I had a cocktail somewhere too 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Concidering there's a heat wave happening do you reckon they will let you take more water in as long as it's in sealed bottles of course.. 

Apparently if you are in a campervan you can't have water in your tanks....... Wtf is that all about.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

Concidering there's a heat wave happening do you reckon they will let you take more water in as long as it's in sealed bottles of course.. 

Not actually looking like much of a heat wave this weekend!

image.png.8c22b34ecde7c1864897d4a741ce7043.png

Especially for Saturday, heavy rain predicted throughout the day...

Regarding water, I believe there's free water points across the site, and they encourage you to bring refillable bottles?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

Concidering there's a heat wave happening do you reckon they will let you take more water in as long as it's in sealed bottles of course.. 

Apparently if you are in a campervan you can't have water in your tanks....... Wtf is that all about.. 

I don't think there's a limit on sealed bottles of water/soft drinks, other than what you can carry - not a problem if you're in a van.

Campervan no water in tanks rule is extreme imo and will add to demand onsite 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Miesh said:

I don't think there's a limit on sealed bottles of water/soft drinks, other than what you can carry - not a problem if you're in a van.

Campervan no water in tanks rule is extreme imo and will add to demand onsite 

Yea that's what I thought old son .. The demand that is.. 

Heavy R on Saturday.. Not sure if it will make the ground f.. Ked up like glasto but hope not. Hopefully the ground is so dry it'll just suck it up. 

Still trying to find a reason for empty tanks tho lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That forecast really has gone downhill. Still a decent amount of time for it to change again though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Heavy R on Saturday.. Not sure if it will make the ground f.. Ked up like glasto but hope not. Hopefully the ground is so dry it'll just suck it up. 

Still trying to find a reason for empty tanks tho lol

There will be mud!  🤣

It will definitely mess up the ground in some areas but I don't think the site get's quite as "swampy" as Glastonbury. Walking Boots are better than wellies as Boomtown can get very slippery in the rain, especially on the slopes.

29 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

That forecast really has gone downhill. Still a decent amount of time for it to change again though. 

The incoming low pressure is pretty much bolted on now so it will definitely be much cooler (which is a plus really). Thursday and Friday look ok at this point We just need to hope that the rain tracks as far north as possible on Saturday. 

Tip for newbies: Take a spare bin liner or carrier bag and you can open it up in your tent, and step into it. Then you can take off your boots without getting mud everywhere. 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2018 at 11:39 AM, bennyhana22 said:

 

I wonder if that’s been mainly due to detection of weed...? Which, let’s be honest, isn’t particularly tricky if you have a functioning nose! 

Ben

One was my mate.... it wasn't weed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, bluedaisy said:

There will be mud!  🤣

It will definitely mess up the ground in some areas but I don't think the site get's quite as "swampy" as Glastonbury. Walking Boots are better than wellies as Boomtown can get very slippery in the rain, especially on the slopes.

The incoming low pressure is pretty much bolted on now so it will definitely be much cooler (which is a plus really). Thursday and Friday look ok at this point We just need to hope that the rain tracks as far north as possible on Saturday. 

Tip for newbies: Take a spare bin liner or carrier bag and you can open it up in your tent, and step into it. Then you can take off your boots without getting mud everywhere. 

 

 

Planning on leaving the boots in the car & going back for them on friday if that weather forecast holds up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weather looks bad on Saturday, hope it changes.

 

Die Antwoord and Bizkit clash?  I hope not.

Edited by stalemate9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×