Boomtown 2018

eFestivals

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

I've been offline for a while so may have missed this vital info....where/when is the efests meetup? I assume there is one?

I think it's normally Thursday evening at the Bad Apple, not 100% sure what time though. Hope to make it myself this year.

5 hours ago, Tommy101 said:

The website shows Gorillaz are on Saturday. There were some tour dates a few pages back from their respective websites that suggested that they didn't clash but I don't remember details to be honest.

Limp Bizkit's official website shows they are playing on the Sunday and Gorillaz are shown on theirs as the Saturday - meaning no clash thank god

4 hours ago, Lakey91 said:

Morning chaps!

I should be getting a guest pass to BT, through a mate of mine. Has anyone here ever been as a guest? Got a couple of questions...

How close to the festival do the passes ususally arrive? We were told they would be send out close to the festival but with less than a week to go now we are starting to panic a bit now! I've emailed them but all I got was an auto response saying they will reply within 3 days.

Secondly, are there any extra benefits for guests? Free parking, private toilets, etc?

I've never been to BT either as a guest or a paying customer so I'm not sure how it all works.

Any information would be great.

Cheers! ?

What sort of pass are you getting? Is it a crew pass, or an artist pass?

4 minutes ago, mr flow said:

What sort of pass are you getting? Is it a crew pass, or an artist pass?

I'll have to clarify that with him, but he's away at the minute and not responding to messages.

He had 5 guestlist places, so I filled one of them. I'm assuming if he was crew he wouldn't get free places to offer out to mates? Then again, he isn't an artist either... he just does bits of promo work, etc for events and festivals here and there.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see and keep my fingers crossed that they arrive!

30 minutes ago, Lakey91 said:

I'll have to clarify that with him, but he's away at the minute and not responding to messages.

He had 5 guestlist places, so I filled one of them. I'm assuming if he was crew he wouldn't get free places to offer out to mates? Then again, he isn't an artist either... he just does bits of promo work, etc for events and festivals here and there.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see and keep my fingers crossed that they arrive!

Sounds like you'll get a crew band then. Means you'll have access to most places, and can nip in the backstage areas to use loo.

It's not as exciting as it sounds though, but can be a lifesaver if you need the loo and can't be bothered to walk :lol:

5 hours ago, Tommy101 said:

I think it's normally Thursday evening at the Bad Apple, not 100% sure what time though. Hope to make it myself this year.

Cool thanks, I'll be keeping an eye out for timing confirmation :) Totally forgot about the glastonbury meet up in 2017, so super keen to actually make it to this one!

Ah, this has come around quick. I’ve not been online much the last few days but this thread has had a sudden upsurge. 

Looking forward to it, got to sort a few things out over the weekend though! Namely a tent, but I have it on reserve! 

Dreading the security, more for my friends though to be honest (my only real concern is waiting around!)... on another similar note, another friend is absolutely convinced sniffer dogs aren’t trained to smell any specific substances, he believes they’re trained to watch and identity nervous people. So stride confidently if you’re carrying! 

Delighted Limp Bizkit and Gorillaz don’t clash, but surely that would put Enter Shikari high on the Saturday instead... sure enough, just checked their website and it places them on the 11th... I would have liked to catch Die Antwoord but they’re set up for a clash!

Other than that there are only a few bands I want to catch - Idles, OMG! It’s the Church, Benji and Hibbz, Elvana and a few DJs. Although I’ve just seen the name Chicken Shed Zeppelin so may keep an eye out for that! 

Is the night time music solely  (heavier) dance, drum and bass etc. a la Arcadia? 

Edited by vintagelaureate

5 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

Ah, this has come around quick. I’ve not been online much the last few days but this thread has had a sudden upsurge. 

Looking forward to it, got to sort a few things out over the weekend though! Namely a tent, but I have it on reserve! 

Dreading the security, more for my friends though to be honest (my only real concern is waiting around!)... on another similar note, another friend is absolutely convinced sniffer dogs aren’t trained to smell any specific substances, he believes they’re trained to watch and identity nervous people. So stride confidently if you’re carrying! 

Delighted Limp Bizkit and Gorillaz don’t clash, but surely that would put Enter Shikari high on the Saturday instead... sure enough, just checked their website and it places them on the 11th... I would have liked to catch Die Antwoord but they’re set up for a clash!

Other than that there are only a few bands I want to catch - Idles, OMG! It’s the Church, Benji and Hibbz, Elvana and a few DJs. Although I’ve just seen the name Chicken Shed Zeppelin so may keep an eye out for that! 

Is the night time music solely  (heavier) dance, drum and bass etc. a la Arcadia? 

It’s true. My brother is Essex old bill and used to police V festival. He told me the sniffer dogs there are just for show and aren’t actually trained in the art of sniffing drugs.  It’s the handler that looks for nervous people or people deliberately avoiding the dog. 

9 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

I was in the mood for a boogie at that time last year so didn't really seek anything else out but I think if you are looking for rock/a guitar then the new disorder alley area is probably your best bet. The biggest (in physical size at least) stages Bang Hai and Sector 6 will be dancy.

17 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

I was in the mood for a boogie at that time last year so didn't really seek anything else out but I think if you are looking for rock/a guitar then the new disorder alley area is probably your best bet. The biggest (in physical size at least) stages Bang Hai and Sector 6 will be dancy.

Yeah diss-order alley stages will be running until 2-3am afaik.

3 hours ago, Chicken Bob said:

It’s true. My brother is Essex old bill and used to police V festival. He told me the sniffer dogs there are just for show and aren’t actually trained in the art of sniffing drugs.  It’s the handler that looks for nervous people or people deliberately avoiding the dog. 

Ive in the past Ive been to WHP, creamfields, leeds, eric prydz in london last year & and seen people caught by the dogs.

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Ive in the past Ive been to WHP, creamfields, leeds, eric prydz in london last year & and seen people caught by the dogs.

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I wonder if that’s been mainly due to detection of weed...? Which, let’s be honest, isn’t particularly tricky if you have a functioning nose! 

Ben

3 hours ago, Tommy101 said:

I definitely want to head over to Bang Hai, but unless sufficiently drunk I found Arcadia hard going at times, so was hoping for some lighter dance alternatives as well as different music. Thanks!

2 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

I definitely want to head over to Bang Hai, but unless sufficiently drunk I found Arcadia hard going at times, so was hoping for some lighter dance alternatives as well as different music. Thanks!

Mayfair used to have more ecelectic late night music, so perhaps check out what that now become, which I believe is Pardise Heights. Lots of micro venues will have non dance music stuff on too

5 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

I wonder if that’s been mainly due to detection of weed...? Which, let’s be honest, isn’t particularly tricky if you have a functioning nose! 

Ben

I think there's a mix of proper drug dogs along with dogs trained to sniff other stuff. And training dogs  

What it does though is act as a visible deterrent. (For some)

The dog handler that did our caravan last year wasn't in uniform and made me think he was a private contractor.

Edited by manateemike

46 minutes ago, manateemike said:

I think there's a mix of proper drug dogs along with dogs trained to sniff other stuff. And training dogs  

What it does though is act as a visible deterrent. (For some)

The dog handler that did our caravan last year wasn't in uniform and made me think he was a private contractor.

A lot of festivals seem to use private contractors with dogs, but they definitely aren’t sniffer dogs. They had this at All Points East. 

As mentioned already, it’s just a deterrent. However, at BT, it’s usually been a police handled dog, which is the real deal. Although, with the amount of enterances and people now attending, I’m not sure Hampshire police have enough sniffer dogs to cover it.

3 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

There are loads different things going on all over the place. Lot's of the micro-venues will be lively at that time of night .  The Mayfair(Paradise Heights?)/Old town area will have a very eclectic mix and is a good place to find a variety of acts. Some of the woodland venues have seated areas if you want to sit down, recharge, and soak up some atmosphere. You have all of the micro-venues around Banghai and the downtown area - you could have a 70s disco in one and a hardcore, techno micro-rave next door. Some places will be and dead plenty will be heaving, it will depend on what time you visit them.

You can take a look at last years program to get a general idea. Many of the venues end at 4am.

https://www.boomtownfair.co.uk/news/2017-10-03-ch9-timetable/

You can check out this years acts here - some of which will be playing the graveyard shifts. 

https://www.boomtownfair.co.uk/artist/

?

On a side note, if you like your music loud, the smaller venues/areas aren't as affected by the late night noise restrictions.

• Upvote 1

So Earache Records put out a clue about their secret guest (Saturday)... they have headlined the John Peel stage in last 10 years.

A quick scan of wikipedia puts this as the following rock/heavy options.

Ash, Enter Shikari (doubling up?), Crystal Castles, Biffy Clyro, Suede.

Ash are playing Boardmasters on the Friday so perhaps most likely.

As for sniffer dogs from what I've heard it's not worth the risk as Hampshire police will almost certainly charge you if they find anything on you. There's plenty of the good stuff on sale around the site in any event, last year was our first year and we took nothing ourselves but still found some top notch stuff. If you're worried about buying inside there's always the testing guys on site.