Jump to content
eFestivals

Boomtown 2018

Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, pilton digger said:

Yes, we normally meet at the Bad Apple bar around 1900 on the Thursday. We firm up the details nearer the time, although it is probably the usual: Beer / cider, wander, music, drunk, repeat,

Thanks Pilton, Will defintely be up for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, debating this or Besti next year. Leaning towards the latter tbh, and will enjoy the luxury of considering the lineup before shelling out. Anyone do both last year and care to share thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bad Apple is a good landmark to get familiar with early on too. Centralish, normally something going on in the corner and decent drinks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have seen all of the Boutique options are now on the site for purchase, did also notice that you have to get an additional boutique wristband (seems fair, Bestival have been operating a similar system for ages) but what I did notice was that the cost of the wristband has increased from last year by 50%, and the facilities that they are offering has decreased by a fair bit? Coupled with the pretty big increase in ticket price YoY, is this a cynical cash grab at the Glastonbury-less people or just plain festival economics? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

I have seen all of the Boutique options are now on the site for purchase, did also notice that you have to get an additional boutique wristband (seems fair, Bestival have been operating a similar system for ages) but what I did notice was that the cost of the wristband has increased from last year by 50%, and the facilities that they are offering has decreased by a fair bit? Coupled with the pretty big increase in ticket price YoY, is this a cynical cash grab at the Glastonbury-less people or just plain festival economics? 

I've gone and bought two tickets and a campervan ticket without looking at the details of this festival ie I shot from the hip in purchasing them. I had no idea that there were boutique areas where you have to have paid (even) more to get in to. I haven't been to Bestival in years, so had no idea that they were running this practice too. I'm really against a festival having this kind of set up. A festival should create a community feeling, in my opinion, and not pamper to the them and us ethos which we have to live with in our everyday lives. I mean FFS, it's segregation, and that's just w*nk.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Looking at the line up from last year and bits on YouTube etc, the Rave Yard seems to be playing my tune a fair bit...

Ben

FYI we camped near there last year and were really please that we did. It's a bit of a trek to downtown but pretty central. (We lucked out as it was all of our first years). 

You could probably do a lot worse than camping there (Wild West camping I believe) if you're going to spend a bit of time in the Rave Yard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2017 at 1:27 AM, Tommy101 said:

FYI we camped near there last year and were really please that we did. It's a bit of a trek to downtown but pretty central. (We lucked out as it was all of our first years). 

You could probably do a lot worse than camping there (Wild West camping I believe) if you're going to spend a bit of time in the Rave Yard. 

I think Wild West camping is pretty underrated. We camped there too in 2016 and had a great time. Because of the size of the festival, and the hills involved, wherever you camp you will normally be very far away from some things, and very close to some others.

Wild West though seems to have the benefit of being a more balanced "medium" distance to almost everything. It has the added bonus of being relatively quiet compared to other campsites, and we found the toilet facilities here to be the cleanest and least used anywhere on site. I have no idea if this changed in 2017 as I didn't attend.

I think people are put off camping here because it's hidden from the rest of the festival behind the woods, but you have several options for cutting through or around those woods to get to where you're going. Head down through Mayfair campsite for Downtown, or cut through one of the wooded pathways for everything else. Traditionally in years gone by this was a pretty much the furthest campsite from everything meaning regular attendees have established regular locations elsewhere, but as the festival has expanded into every corner of the estate, it's actually become surprisingly central. Wherever you camp you're going to do a lot of walking though, that's for sure...

2017 Map:

boomtown-map.jpg

Edited by Sku

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Sku said:

I have no idea if this changed in 2017 as I didn't attend.

2017 is the only one year I've been and all of your comments seem spot on for this year too.

It looked pretty central to us, and looked like decent drainage (high up and a slight slope) which is why we chose it. 

 

EDIT: Looks like we could be getting some Chapter 10 info soon from the Boomtown facebook:

Quote

The whole office team are back in and head first into planning Chapter 10.

There are so many exciting new developments in every possible direction, announcements coming very soon...

 

Edited by Tommy101

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 2:21 AM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I had no idea that there were boutique areas where you have to have paid (even) more to get in to. I haven't been to Bestival in years, so had no idea that they were running this practice too. I'm really against a festival having this kind of set up. A festival should create a community feeling, in my opinion, and not pamper to the them and us ethos which we have to live with in our everyday lives. I mean FFS, it's segregation, and that's just w*nk.

I've never used any premium camping options but you can argue that their existence, for those who want to use them, keeps the price of general tickets down and allows more people to access the festival.

Don't all the major festivals now have premium pay extra options anyway?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stu_kent said:

I've never used any premium camping options but you can argue that their existence, for those who want to use them, keeps the price of general tickets down and allows more people to access the festival.

Don't all the major festivals now have premium pay extra options anyway?

Hello stu_kent,

Maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick - I was under the impression that these 'boutique' areas weren't confined to camping areas, but were performance areas / other areas of interest. Maybe I'm wrong. As I said in my post, I really haven't looked in to this festival, and kind of bought tickets on a whim. 

Personally I don't really mind premium camping options. I'm kind of getting with the program that not everybody finds it acceptable to just crash in your tent somehow (ie maybe on top of a mattress type thing, maybe under a mattress type thing, but always wearing the same clothes that you walked in to the festival in). It's been quite a difficult process for me to perform, but I also now 'kind of' get that some people just will not camp at all. I was weaned on camping as a child, and only associate it with good times, so maybe that has created some bias.

I really do need to have a look at BoomTown's website in detail, and see exactly what I have let myself in for. I don't really have anywhere near an up to date perspective on the music side. It'll be the usual case of 'Oh yes, I've heard of that band's name etc, but haven't got a clue what any of the names of their songs are. I am slowly (ever so slowly) broadening my horizons on the music front though eg. I am now more familiar with the works of Leonard Cohen than I used to be. Mind you, saying that, only something like dementia could make it go the other way.

I'm rambling now, so will stop here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

boutique areas are a load of b0llocks, and are  a saddening reminder that these festival 'worlds' aren't actually as distant from the harsh realities of economics, division and greed as we'd like them to be.

Do the boomtique areas at boomtown keep the prices down, or the profits up? That's for you to decide.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, man next door said:

boutique areas are a load of b0llocks, and are  a saddening reminder that these festival 'worlds' aren't actually as distant from the harsh realities of economics, division and greed as we'd like them to be.

spot on. :)

It's the antithesis of everything festivals should be about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, man next door said:

boutique areas are a load of b0llocks, and are  a saddening reminder that these festival 'worlds' aren't actually as distant from the harsh realities of economics, division and greed as we'd like them to be.

Do the boomtique areas at boomtown keep the prices down, or the profits up? That's for you to decide.

 

That is the question... with Boomtown I'd guess that all those premium options gives the festival more cash to throw at production.

Glastonbury have fields and fields of posh tents and teepee's generating extra revenue that doesn't have to go on the standard ticket price.

I'm pretty sure that the party isn't at any of these areas, so I keep it real with the party people in public camping :)

3 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello stu_kent,

Maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick - I was under the impression that these 'boutique' areas weren't confined to camping areas, but were performance areas / other areas of interest. Maybe I'm wrong. As I said in my post, I really haven't looked in to this festival, and kind of bought tickets on a whim. 

Personally I don't really mind premium camping options. I'm kind of getting with the program that not everybody finds it acceptable to just crash in your tent somehow (ie maybe on top of a mattress type thing, maybe under a mattress type thing, but always wearing the same clothes that you walked in to the festival in). It's been quite a difficult process for me to perform, but I also now 'kind of' get that some people just will not camp at all. I was weaned on camping as a child, and only associate it with good times, so maybe that has created some bias.

It's just camping options and posh facilities, as far as I'm aware.  A friend decided to come this year at the last minute and got offered a boomtique wristband but camped with the commoners, popping back for an occasional shower.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no real issue with the whole boutique camping side of things, I have used boutique camping at a few festivals in the past and will do it again at Boomtown, largely because we have a big group of us going from various parts of the UK and it's a convenience to not have to bring a load of gear with us, decent number of friends would also need to buy camping gear etc. I don't see it as anything different to people going in campervans, my initial question was more about the fact that the price of getting a boutique wristband (access to the area where posh camping is, and therefore access to the tents you have already paid for) had gone up by 50%, and the services that they provide as part of that being reduced. It all just seemed a bit of a cynical ploy to cash in, and that was also coupled with the pretty big increase in ticket cost. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New for 2018, Boomtown are actually ditching the idea of a separate "luxury village" wristband.

There is still a pre-pitched camping option branded as "Camp Skylark" which replaces it. Only those who have booked to stay in Camp Skylark will have access to this area, which will be more basic than previous years, to include just toilets, showers, a cafe, and a bar (i.e. the same kind of facilities available in any regular campsite area).

More luxurious facilities previously provided such as the spa, are being moved out into the main festival areas for everyone to enjoy (obviously at a cost).

This means the new Camp Skylark is really just a pre-pitch campsite, rather than a true luxury "upcharge" area. Certainly ditching the idea of having a separate area of the festival with luxury facilities that you need an extra wristband for is a positive move.

Here is the official PR blurb on the change: http://www.boomtownfair.co.uk/news/2017-11-08-boomtique-changed-to-camp-skylark/

I think having luxury camping options is fine for those willing to pay for them though. You're certainly not missing out on anything at the festival by not doing it, so if you don't like the price, or the (now more basic) facilities provided, you don't have to spend the money. If you've got the money and your into this type of thing though... why not. It's not my kind of thing but clearly other people like it.

it's a convenience to not have to bring a load of gear with us, decent number of friends would also need to buy camping gear etc

If that's the main reason, then maybe look at Tangerine Fields instead. You can get a prepitched tent there instead of splurging on the expensive Camp Skylark options.

Edited by Sku

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sku said:

Boomtown are actually ditching the idea of a separate "luxury village" wristband.

Only those who have booked to stay in Camp Skylark will have access to this area

spot the contradiction...? :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/11/2017 at 8:40 PM, eFestivals said:

spot the contradiction...? :P

That is a little confusing haha. From reading the link it sounds like they are getting rid of village wristbands. I've now seen they are selling them on the ticket page. Not sure what's going on there! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

 

This is my 1st post on this site. Was wondering if anybody is going to this solo or are looking for a group to join/travel with? I really would like to go to this festival next year but everyone I ask keeps whinging about the ticket price. I'd rather be there with people who "get it" and think that the experience is well worth what you pay but I am not so keen on going to the event solo. If anybody is in a similar boat to me and was interested in forming a group I will definately look at getting a ticket asap. Cheers all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, FailUsername said:

Hi all,

 

This is my 1st post on this site. Was wondering if anybody is going to this solo or are looking for a group to join/travel with? I really would like to go to this festival next year but everyone I ask keeps whinging about the ticket price. I'd rather be there with people who "get it" and think that the experience is well worth what you pay but I am not so keen on going to the event solo. If anybody is in a similar boat to me and was interested in forming a group I will definately look at getting a ticket asap. Cheers all!

Hello FailUsername,

Would love to help out, but can't on this occasion. I haven't even told my wife yet that I've bought tickets to it yet. For some reason I'm trepidatious about telling her. Which is illogical, because her only options are to go barmy or not. As I can handle both scenarios, then the not telling her is all a bit odd. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I think that if I say I've booked somewhere for us to have quality time on our own, then I might get away with the non barmy option. If I say that somebody I've never met before is going to tag along, then I fear the worst, in terms of her reaction. 

All the above said, I don't mind hooking up with anybody off here for a little while, as long as their powers of arrest are restricted to those of a run of the mill citizen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/11/2017 at 3:21 PM, FailUsername said:

Hi all,

 

This is my 1st post on this site. Was wondering if anybody is going to this solo or are looking for a group to join/travel with? I really would like to go to this festival next year but everyone I ask keeps whinging about the ticket price. I'd rather be there with people who "get it" and think that the experience is well worth what you pay but I am not so keen on going to the event solo. If anybody is in a similar boat to me and was interested in forming a group I will definately look at getting a ticket asap. Cheers all!

I am attending for the first time with my boyfriend, absolutely cant wait! more than welcome to arrange a get together :)! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey thanks for replying back to my message :)

At the moment i'm trying to seeing if I can get a group down there but not really having a lot of luck at the moment, sadly. If I do end up getting a ticket I will def get in touch

 

Thanks again!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Might have already been covered.

Line up announcement / first poster coming in Feb. With a little announcement possible beforehand. 

Edited by craigb
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.