Boomtown 2018

eFestivals

16 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

OMG - that's really pushed the excitement meter up another notch!

Can. Not. Wait.

Ben
?

I know some people like to be as informed as possible and others hate spoilers. 

I might not share anything more like that from them even if it's publicly available/ it could be worth banning yourself from their social media for the next 10 days to get the whole impact on the day you get there.

1 hour ago, Tommy101 said:

I might not share anything more like that from them even if it's publicly available/ it could be worth banning yourself from their social media for the next 10 days to get the whole impact on the day you get there.

They are normally pretty good at "teasing" but not spoiling.

But yeah, if you want a total surprise maybe time to switch off.

1 hour ago, Tommy101 said:

Thanks, Tommy. I'm kind of a hybrid of the two. As many here will testify, I organise what I see at my festivals with military precision...! And even though I told myself not to for BT2018, and although there is negligible info regarding day splits and set times etc until we're in the gates, I've still scoured the line-up to within an inch of its life and am ready with blank clashfinders for each day, primed for me to populate from the programme on Thursday afternoon! I guess a leopard can't change its spots and I always have to pack in as much as I can and just do something in every waking moment...just the way I am, I guess.

In terms of the build and that moment of seeing the festival for the first time...again I'm torn. My ridiculous enthusiasm just wants to immerse myself in every new bit of info/detail etc. but then I also love the surprise too. I have been studying the map too, only so that I feel reasonably orientated. My SOP is to do a solo tour of a festival site as early as I can after setting up...it's just one of my favourite times. After 2016's...erm...weather challenges (ugh!) I managed to do this last year at Glastonbury, visiting pretty much every accessible area/stage/place on the Wednesday afternoon, during a 3 hour solo wander, just drinking it all in before heading for the eFests meet. It was such a lovely time for me. Plan is to replicate this at my first Boomtown and touch base with all the districts and street venues as soon as I'm pitched up and settled, then meet up with the gang later to start things proper!

So, post all you like and I'll just have to try to be disciplined...!

Ben
?

Edited by bennyhana22

Not having many things to do in every waking moment is one of the Boomtown Problems - half the really good times come from getting distracted on your way to things

It won't take you long to find your way around though, it's not actually that large there's just lots of nooks and crannies and things will change day/night and over the weekend

Just now, frostypaw said:

Not having many things to do in every waking moment is one of the Boomtown Problems - half the really good times come from getting distracted on your way to things

It won't take you long to find your way around though, it's not actually that large there's just lots of nooks and crannies and things will change day/night and over the weekend

^^^This^^^

Also there is a lot of nice places in the festival to have a sit down. I'd schedule in a few of them if it's the only way they won't get neglected :P 

1 minute ago, frostypaw said:

I worked on the anti-FOMO basis, frosty:

"did you see [artist] do that amazing secret set on [stage name]...???"

I work on the basis that, if I was having a great time when that was on, wherever I was, then it's all fine! So, getting distracted on my way to something on The List, but having a wonderful distraction, is just tickety-boo, despite my OCD!

Ben

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Ok, well that ain't happening!!!

Ben

Each to their own. :)

Sitting and talking to new people is almost as important to me as finding new areas/bands. Obviously all in moderation but I'd be interested to see how well you stick to your schedule etc or whether you end up letting the festival take you for a ride. No right or wrong here but judging by my experiences last year if any festival is going to do it to you it'll be this one. 

Anti-FOMO is the way to go :)You really must do a bit of hanging out in Old Town and the Town Centre at least - it's really a show in itself watching the bonkersness of the crowd but there'll be time for that waiting for gigs etc.

I am so looking forwards to the crowds :D 

1 hour ago, frostypaw said:

Anti-FOMO is the way to go :)You really must do a bit of hanging out in Old Town and the Town Centre at least - it's really a show in itself watching the bonkersness of the crowd but there'll be time for that waiting for gigs etc.

I am so looking forwards to the crowds :D 

This. Boomtown is all about the people watching! A fun game is to try and work out if they are punter or performer. 

Just now, mr flow said:

This. Boomtown is all about the people watching! A fun game is to try and work out if they are punter or performer. 

Oh gosh.

I feel a little as if I'm not fully investing when I see stuff about the costumes etc. But, I have to 'be me', and I just don't do fancy dress and costuming...

I hope I don't feel inadequate when I'm there!!!

Ben

Hi - first time at BT, I’ve got a camper van pass, I know we will have to wait etc and be searched on arrival at the CV field but will we be searched again going back and fore the stages? Is it like Glastonbury where the van field is outside of the festival ? Thanks 

1 hour ago, flaimedog said:

Hi - first time at BT, I’ve got a camper van pass, I know we will have to wait etc and be searched on arrival at the CV field but will we be searched again going back and fore the stages? Is it like Glastonbury where the van field is outside of the festival ? Thanks 

Once your in and parked up that's the last time you go through a gate. 

15 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Oh gosh.

I feel a little as if I'm not fully investing when I see stuff about the costumes etc. But, I have to 'be me', and I just don't do fancy dress and costuming...

Ben

Nah, no need to worry about that.  Do what you like mate.

It's not like that at all but there are more eccentric people at Boomtown that most other festivals.

And some people just like to dress up!

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, stalemate9 said:

I don't plan on getting involved too much tbh, I'm there for the music.

It's an experience led festival really.  Whilst you don't have to get fully involved, you may have a better time and a much more out of this world experience if you don't just chase around the line-up.

And some of the most fun parties are behind random doors and not even listed on the line-up.

That said, it your festival - make of it what you want.

Just have a good time!

3 hours ago, stu_kent said:

It's an experience led festival really.  Whilst you don't have to get fully involved, you may have a better time and a much more out of this world experience if you don't just chase around the line-up.

And some of the most fun parties are behind random doors and not even listed on the line-up.

That said, it your festival - make of it what you want.

Just have a good time!

Thanks I will try my best, I'm just a bit anxious so the idea of interacting and getting involved scares me but I will see how it goes.

21 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Oh gosh.

Ben

Benny love I'll do the dressing up for both of us!! :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, stalemate9 said:

Thanks I will try my best, I'm just a bit anxious so the idea of interacting and getting involved scares me but I will see how it goes.

You don't have to interact if you don't want to, but it will be hard to avoid things that require interaction if that makes sense! A few years ago, i was "robbed" by a group of cowboys whilst queuing to try and buy some lunch in the Wild West district. Fortunately, they scarpered and returned my items when the sheriffs turned up in close pursuit.

Just an average lunchtime at Boomtown. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stalemate9 said:

You can do as much or as little as you like. There are loads of people walking around, calling from balconies etc into the crowds who will encourage you to go along with it. They're not trying to drag you onto stage or anything, and they will draw the line wherever you want it to be drawn. 

Interaction can range from a tip of the cap to a drawn out experience if you want. I saw a girl in a prison in old town (i.e. had been taken behind a barred window in a bit of the set) who was clearly a punter last year, the sheriff was nearby to explain that is what happens if you don't obey the law. We acted as a distraction so the girl in the 'cell' grabbed his pistol and forced them to swap places. As we walked off with a new friend the sheriff was moaning about how this always happens and how is he going to explain his way out of it etc. We were only involved for a few mins, I think she'd been messing about there for 15 mins or so and plenty of people were spectating/walking past you get as involved as you want and it's all voluntary and nothing to worry about if you'd rather not.

• Like 3