Boomtown 2018

eFestivals

53 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Not to be that medical guy, but there's no way that anyone is using any dose of ionising radiation (of which x-rays are a type) without obtaining the informed consent of those being exposed. Not in a million years, team. Any technology that can scan adequately to find anything on festival punters without using radiation is a million years away in terms of technology, affordability et al.

Of course, if a copper sticks his finger up your bum...

Ben

Hello Ben,

Maybe I got it wrong and that it wasn't an X ray scanner. I've tried to find the source of the information again, but haven't been able to. I do recall something along the lines that it 'back scans' ie that whatever 'ray' they are using doesn't identify an object etc on it's way through (or possibly around) the object, but that it's the bouncing back of the ray(s) that does the job. As I say, it mightn't be an x ray. Sound wave perhaps? Fuck knows - certainly not me! I'll have another look to see if I can find the article.

As an aside,  the article did indicate that explosive substances show up orange because all organic substances show up orange. Unfortunately drugs are organic, so also show up orange. It was this knowledge that got me and her indoors through security the last time we took about £800 worth of 'gear' through customs at the airport with carry on luggage only!

Tell you what though - I doubt I'll ever do it again. I know and accept my propensity to be stupid, but that kind of behaviour is Radio Rental (mental)!

45 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello Ben,

Maybe I got it wrong and that it wasn't an X ray scanner. I've tried to find the source of the information again, but haven't been able to. I do recall something along the lines that it 'back scans' ie that whatever 'ray' they are using doesn't identify an object etc on it's way through (or possibly around) the object, but that it's the bouncing back of the ray(s) that does the job. As I say, it mightn't be an x ray. Sound wave perhaps? Fuck knows - certainly not me! I'll have another look to see if I can find the article.

As an aside,  the article did indicate that explosive substances show up orange because all organic substances show up orange. Unfortunately drugs are organic, so also show up orange. It was this knowledge that got me and her indoors through security the last time we took about £800 worth of 'gear' through customs at the airport with carry on luggage only!

Tell you what though - I doubt I'll ever do it again. I know and accept my propensity to be stupid, but that kind of behaviour is Radio Rental (mental)!

I love you, Yog - I'm touched that you would consider me young enough that you needed to explain the Radio Rental rhyming slang. Our first two tellys were from there!!!

:)

Ben

36 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

I love you, Yog - I'm touched that you would consider me young enough that you needed to explain the Radio Rental rhyming slang. Our first two tellys were from there!!!

:)

Ben

Hello Ben,

Well, you are outrageously healthy and young looking. I did actually think that you might just have missed their presence. I recall one of their shops from when I was a nipper. It would have been the early 1970's, I think. When I look back on those times it feels like I'm accessing information on somebody else's life. It's so, so far back in time. At least, that's the way it appears to me.

As an aside, I remember when we got our first colour television. The rest of my family were in awe of the colour on the telly. I was in awe of the big cardboard box that it came in, and the major 'den' potential that it offered! :)

13 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

i went thru a scanner in 1986, and it didn't then. :P

But what I did noticed - and the machines in your link are the same - is that the whole thing is set-up in a way that's designed to scare the person being scanned, and the customs men are watching you like a hawk for any give-away signs.

I realised that just before I stepped in and relaxed because of it. I'm pretty sure that made a difference for what happened to me next (nothing at all, they let me go).

49 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

i went thru a scanner in 1986, and it didn't then. :P

But what I did noticed - and the machines in your link are the same - is that the whole thing is set-up in a way that's designed to scare the person being scanned, and the customs men are watching you like a hawk for any give-away signs.

I realised that just before I stepped in and relaxed because of it. I'm pretty sure that made a difference for what happened to me next (nothing at all, they let me go).

On the occasions that I have taken 'things' through airport security I have always been off my rocker on something so haven't experienced the anxiety that might give one away*

* I did once drive on to a ferry with a largish consignment of 'things' and wasn't off my rocker because I was driving. However, I then proceeded to go to the bar on the ferry and get slaughtered. I then went out on deck with a friend and smoked a joint. The net result of this was that I was unable to drive the car off the ferry when we got to the other side (Ireland). Fortunately one of my brothers was with me and was only twice over the limit, so he had to drive the car off the ferry!

12 hours ago, Miesh said:

I agree with all of this.

To encourage green travel and then make a premium ticket holder walk round (a long way) - I'd be fumin babes! :ireful:

There are safety concerns with this too. I'd expect a free shuttle bus with air con and water at the least.

I'm pretty sure this won't happen. It's only going to be down the hill from where Boomtown Springs is, to where the Weds entertainment is being held, so i would expect them to be allowed to walk down a certain route.

24 minutes ago, mr flow said:

I'm pretty sure this won't happen. It's only going to be down the hill from where Boomtown Springs is, to where the Weds entertainment is being held, so i would expect them to be allowed to walk down a certain route. 

I thought the Boomtown Springs residents weren't going to be allowed out of their exclusive gated community on Wednesday? 

It's this I'd take issue with, had I been stupid enough to pay for such nonsense and I could here Mungo's in the distance being enjoyed by all the commoners, not the walking around the outside!

19 minutes ago, stu_kent said:

I thought the Boomtown Springs residents weren't going to be allowed out of their exclusive gated community on Wednesday? 

It's this I'd take issue with, had I been stupid enough to pay for such nonsense and I could here Mungo's in the distance being enjoyed by all the commoners, not the walking around the outside!

That won't happen. They'll be allowed to mooch with the "common folk" as well.

On 6/1/2018 at 9:26 AM, mr flow said:

I was thinking more about the initial entrance to the festival 

• If you’re arriving by public transport standard rules apply - you can purchase shuttle tickets on the day for £10, coaches are available on the main ticket page. Bear in mind you will have to walk around to the Springs entrance to gain entry to the festival.

I've changed to Wednesday entry. This makes me reasonably confident that I will be able to make the efests meet on the Thursday.

Although having said that, it is Boomtown so anything could happen. I am really looking forward to this festival :)

Just now, Miesh said:

I've changed to Wednesday entry. This makes me reasonably confident that I will be able to make the efests meet on the Thursday.

Although having said that, it is Boomtown so anything could happen. I am really looking forward to this festival :)

What's the situation on the efests meet? Time and place? I know it's been covered somewhere (sorry)!

12 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

What's the situation on the efests meet? Time and place? I know it's been covered somewhere (sorry)!

From memory I think 7pm Bad Apple Bar. Someone else please correct me if I'm wrong.

1 minute ago, krisroe said:

It’s in the town centre. One of my favourite bars of the festival as they sell 7% cider, at least they did ?

Thanks for that. I didn't know where it was.

7% is probably a bit much for me but I expect they have a good selection.

Are the bars good in general? 

2 hours ago, Miesh said:

Thanks for that. I didn't know where it was.

7% is probably a bit much for me but I expect they have a good selection.

Are the bars good in general? 

They were ok I think. Bad apple has a load of different ciders which is why I like it the most, it reminds me of a large scale micro pub. The other bars I tended to just buy whatever main beer was on sale. I’m sure there are other unique type bars though, I just never got so far as looking for them ?

I paid my deposit a few months go but frustratingly I can't make it now. Beyond gutted.

If anybody needs a ticket at face value, I'm happy to transfer it over to your name in theticketsellers. You will just need to pay the rest of the deposit (£166) and reimburse my deposit.

The deadline for paying off the deposit is this evening. I don't come on to these forums as often these days so apologies if posts like this are frowned upon. Not trying to make a profit. Gutted I can't go! will be the first I miss in years!

2 hours ago, mickthevoice said:

I paid my deposit a few months go but frustratingly I can't make it now. Beyond gutted.

If anybody needs a ticket at face value, I'm happy to transfer it over to your name in theticketsellers. You will just need to pay the rest of the deposit (£166) and reimburse my deposit.

The deadline for paying off the deposit is this evening. I don't come on to these forums as often these days so apologies if posts like this are frowned upon. Not trying to make a profit. Gutted I can't go! will be the first I miss in years!

What time does it end? Im interested