Boomtown 2018

eFestivals

2 hours ago, festifreak said:

So Earache Records put out a clue about their secret guest (Saturday)... they have headlined the John Peel stage in last 10 years.

A quick scan of wikipedia puts this as the following rock/heavy options.

Ash, Enter Shikari (doubling up?), Crystal Castles, Biffy Clyro, Suede.

Ash are playing Boardmasters on the Friday so perhaps most likely.

Surely nobody is still booking Crystal Castles?

12 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

Surely nobody is still booking Crystal Castles?

Hopefully not indeed! 

Perhaps it will just be a second slot for Enter Shikari as a stage opener - they are listed for midday on their own website.

Edit: Earache say Saturday night - so unless it is stage opener on Town Centre then not that.

Edited by festifreak

8 hours ago, flashkop said:

First time going, wondering if anyones got any recommendations for a campsite. Suppose it depends on the year and people but thought i'd ask anyway if there's any infamous ones i should know about

Best place to camp guide:

http://boomtownsource.com/2018/07/best-campsite/

If you want a "party campsite", Dstrkt 5 is probably the one. But to be honest the whole festival is a giant party anyway.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sku said:

Thanks for this link, very useful for a first-timer like me!

We (gf & me) will be spending most of our time at the Uptown stages. The Old Town & Copper County camp sites already sounded like the most attractive ones before I read this guide. But we're arriving by coach at 2 PM, which I guess is fairly late... so I'm a bit fearful now that those 2 will have completely filled up by then?

Any advice on where we'll still find a spot by the time we get through the gates? Just looking for 'a' spot, it doesn't need to be a perfect one on flat ground or anything.

4 hours ago, Sku said:

Best place to camp guide:

http://boomtownsource.com/2018/07/best-campsite/

If you want a "party campsite", Dstrkt 5 is probably the one. But to be honest the whole festival is a giant party anyway.

thank you! that's just what I needed! One of my pals will be going in the wednesday with a few others whereas the rest of us arrive the thursday at various times (some later than others), he was thinking of district 5 already so what are our odds for getting space  there at this point? Does it get as full the wednesday as it says or are we better off picking a different one if we wanna make sure we stick together?

Edited by flashkop

2 hours ago, Wun Weg Wun Dar Wun said:

Thanks for this link, very useful for a first-timer like me!

We (gf & me) will be spending most of our time at the Uptown stages. The Old Town & Copper County camp sites already sounded like the most attractive ones before I read this guide. But we're arriving by coach at 2 PM, which I guess is fairly late... so I'm a bit fearful now that those 2 will have completely filled up by then?

Any advice on where we'll still find a spot by the time we get through the gates? Just looking for 'a' spot, it doesn't need to be a perfect one on flat ground or anything.

It's tough to say because so much is different this year. My perception is that it will fill up fast this year. It is a big field though. If you just have a small tent the two of you, it's always possible to scout a space somewhere. One person looks after the stuff, the other can have a quick scout about.

The hilly spots will naturally be less popular. Also the eastern side is less popular, as it's on the "wrong" side of the valley which runs down the middle.

45 minutes ago, flashkop said:

thank you! that's just what I needed! One of my pals will be going in the wednesday with a few others whereas the rest of us arrive the thursday at various times (some later than others), he was thinking of district 5 already so what are our odds for getting space  there at this point? Does it get as full the wednesday as it says or are we better off picking a different one if we wanna make sure we stick together?

Anyone arriving on Wednesday has a fairly good chance of getting a spot down there. It might be difficult to keep reserving spots for mates on Thursday though. It's never opened Wednesday before so it's a bit of guess work on my part really. But Dstrkt 5 is going to look like the prime place to camp for everyone who arrives Wednesday, making it busy from the start.

• Upvote 1

It's the first year they've done the Wed/Thurs split entry so it will be hard to say how fast the spaces will fill but I presume most of the busy areas will be nearly full Thursday afternoon. Last year we got in at dusk despite being near the front of the coach queue (due to the queue fiasco), and there weren't many spaces left in  the busy areas. 

I recommend having a back-up plan in case your original designated area is full. The site is large,  hilly and somewhat hard to navigate, so trekking around aimlessly with tons of gear can be tiring.

24 minutes ago, Seshtival said:

First time going to Boomtown (buzzing), does anyone know if there is much going on music wise during the day thursday?

Debating arriving early or late afternoon to miss the que's.

Also do they sell spirits inside or is it beer / cider only?

Thankss :)

According to last years timetable they had a handful of things going on in the day, but most things started around 6/8pm and ended at midnight. Friday's the official start.

https://www.boomtownfair.co.uk/news/2017-10-03-ch9-timetable/

The bars sell spirits - I think I had a cocktail somewhere too ?

Concidering there's a heat wave happening do you reckon they will let you take more water in as long as it's in sealed bottles of course.. 

Apparently if you are in a campervan you can't have water in your tanks....... Wtf is that all about.. 

8 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

Concidering there's a heat wave happening do you reckon they will let you take more water in as long as it's in sealed bottles of course.. 

Not actually looking like much of a heat wave this weekend!

image.png.8c22b34ecde7c1864897d4a741ce7043.png

Especially for Saturday, heavy rain predicted throughout the day...

Regarding water, I believe there's free water points across the site, and they encourage you to bring refillable bottles?

8 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

Apparently if you are in a campervan you can't have water in your tanks....... Wtf is that all about.. 

I don't think there's a limit on sealed bottles of water/soft drinks, other than what you can carry - not a problem if you're in a van.

Campervan no water in tanks rule is extreme imo and will add to demand onsite 

58 minutes ago, Miesh said:

I don't think there's a limit on sealed bottles of water/soft drinks, other than what you can carry - not a problem if you're in a van.

Campervan no water in tanks rule is extreme imo and will add to demand onsite 

Yea that's what I thought old son .. The demand that is.. 

Heavy R on Saturday.. Not sure if it will make the ground f.. Ked up like glasto but hope not. Hopefully the ground is so dry it'll just suck it up. 

Still trying to find a reason for empty tanks tho lol

35 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Heavy R on Saturday.. Not sure if it will make the ground f.. Ked up like glasto but hope not. Hopefully the ground is so dry it'll just suck it up. 

Still trying to find a reason for empty tanks tho lol

There will be mud!  ?

It will definitely mess up the ground in some areas but I don't think the site get's quite as "swampy" as Glastonbury. Walking Boots are better than wellies as Boomtown can get very slippery in the rain, especially on the slopes.

29 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

That forecast really has gone downhill. Still a decent amount of time for it to change again though. 

The incoming low pressure is pretty much bolted on now so it will definitely be much cooler (which is a plus really). Thursday and Friday look ok at this point We just need to hope that the rain tracks as far north as possible on Saturday. 

Tip for newbies: Take a spare bin liner or carrier bag and you can open it up in your tent, and step into it. Then you can take off your boots without getting mud everywhere. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, bluedaisy said:

There will be mud!  ?

It will definitely mess up the ground in some areas but I don't think the site get's quite as "swampy" as Glastonbury. Walking Boots are better than wellies as Boomtown can get very slippery in the rain, especially on the slopes.

The incoming low pressure is pretty much bolted on now so it will definitely be much cooler (which is a plus really). Thursday and Friday look ok at this point We just need to hope that the rain tracks as far north as possible on Saturday. 

Tip for newbies: Take a spare bin liner or carrier bag and you can open it up in your tent, and step into it. Then you can take off your boots without getting mud everywhere. 

Planning on leaving the boots in the car & going back for them on friday if that weather forecast holds up

2 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

General consensus seems to be at least some mount of rain over the weekend but in my experience the BBC site always hedges its bets by predicting the heaviest possible amount of rain. 

I hate to tell you, but my own experience of the BBC forecasting bad weather for Boomtown is that they were spookily accurate. 

The site doesn't get too bad in normal circumstances tho, and with the amount of dryness we've had it'll be better still this time round.