Boomtown 2018

eFestivals

46 minutes ago, stalemate9 said:

Why are they always late with these announcements, they said 1PM. It is 20 passed now and nothing.

Edit: Just realized they didn't actually specify a time, but traditionally it has been 1PM most times so far.

Embrace the organised chaos that is Boomtown Fair. :lol:

1522153571-town-centre-poster-final.png? 

3 minutes ago, stalemate9 said:

This wont sit well with me I like things to run on time.

the stages do (about as good as any other stages do, anyway).

It's more that it has a feeling of disorganisation than really is like that - tho there is disorganisation in places, too (tho other fests aren't immune from that either).

More than anything it's just that it doesn't have the slickness that most other fests do - but where that's mostly achieved by those other fests by them being stripped down to the bare bones without anything superfluous, whereas Boomtown is full of the superfluous.

12 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

Jimmy Cliff isn't it? 

Gorillaz and Limp Bizkit are going to clash to divide the crowds.

I don't have any info around this but according to their tour dates, Die Antwoord are playing on the same day as Jimmy Cliff, so they can't both be headlining. I don't think there is an unannounced 3rd headliner though, and would think it'll just be someone from the line up already. Goldie and heritage orchestra perhaps?

I would have thought that Jimmy Cliff would have taken the Friday Lions Den Opening slot, like Toots did last year, but it doesn't look like it, if their tour dates are correct.

30 minutes ago, manateemike said:

Beans on Toast did a set up in Kidztown last year. And Sam and the Womp played TC then later on that day a set at Kidztown. 

You can get the odd booking up there. 

Although, it's worth noting you can't go in Kidztown without a child when one of the bigger acts are playing. The amount of disgruntled faces that were getting turned away when Beans on Toast was playing last year was quite amusing!

Some people who previously booked Camp Skylark seem a bit upset on the Facebook page, since it seems to be being perceived that Boomtown Springs is "better" than Camp Skylark. They have paid and are committed to what they thought was the "best" option, but now maybe it isn't.

Don't really understand what the difference is myself, it was all so much simpler when festivals just sold one type of ticket.

On another related note, I don't know how long these Boomtown Springs tickets will stick around. Some people have been successfully reselling general admission tickets for higher than the cost of Boomtown Springs, so it stands to reason they won't last very long. They might all be gone quite fast, unless the festival really held back many thousands of them at this price...

Edited by Sku

3 hours ago, frostypaw said:

https://ww2.theticketsellers.co.uk/boomtown-springs-2018-10046532/

So who's doing Boomtown Springs? I'm curious as heck but can't justify it :/

I can't see what's to be that curious about. Stuff's going to go on there, just like it is elsewhere, and given that you can only be in one place at one particular time, how would you ever know that it was financially worth it ie. It can't be.

11 hours ago, Sku said:

Some people who previously booked Camp Skylark seem a bit upset on the Facebook page, since it seems to be being perceived that Boomtown Springs is "better" than Camp Skylark. They have paid and are committed to what they thought was the "best" option, but now maybe it isn't.

Don't really understand what the difference is myself, it was all so much simpler when festivals just sold one type of ticket.

On another related note, I don't know how long these Boomtown Springs tickets will stick around. Some people have been successfully reselling general admission tickets for higher than the cost of Boomtown Springs, so it stands to reason they won't last very long. They might all be gone quite fast, unless the festival really held back many thousands of them at this price...

I'm a self-confessed massive inverted snob when it comes to pretty much all things exclusive and VIP in the music industry. I mean, a few years ago, who could have imagined that if you wanted to get to the front at a gig, rather than queue for 5 hours outside (ahhhhh...those were the days... :) , you now have to spend £50-80 more for a Golden Circle wristband. I mean, WHAT???

The sense of community is what I hold most dearly about festivals and gradual, inexorable erosion of that, in part due to the continuing commodification of the entire scene - a workmate of mine bucket-list ticked Glastonbury last year in a just-off-site Glamp-Trailer arrangement for £1000s...silver service kippers for breakfast FFS...

Boomtown really appeals in part as the production team talk the talk of remaining true to their roots and ideals, working hard to maintain the spirit of their original project, despite the exponential festival growth. Even this seemingly cash cow like new initiative (BT Springs) seems to be part of the thing, with its participatory, immersive concept. but yes, I can see the Skylarkers getting a bit chipped off.

How much are the regular tickets going for, Sku? Is this, like the 'earliest sell out' scenario, a real indication of the festival's promotion to proper big hitter (notwithstanding the boost of a GF fallow year)? Has there been much of a secondary sales market for BT before this year? It will be very interesting to see how different this year's experience is for BT veterans. Despite being a BT newbie, I kind of get the feeling that for the festival, the times, they are a-changin', and that this year might be a bit of a rubicon...or people will look back and say that last year turned out to be so...

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22