Boomtown 2018

eFestivals

6 hours ago, Sku said:

Looks like Boomtown is now a total sellout. All coach traveller combos are sold out too. 

We're all very lucky to have tickets. I always think attending a totally sold out event adds to the atmosphere and hype when the gates open. I can't wait! 

Agree wholeheartedly!

@eFestivals - Neil, how does this compare time-wise with previous sell-outs for Boomtown? Presumably this is the earliest sell out by some margin...?

Ben

6 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Agree wholeheartedly!

@eFestivals - Neil, how does this compare time-wise with previous sell-outs for Boomtown? Presumably this is the earliest sell out by some margin...?

Ben

yeah - by 3 months or more.

But I did warn everyone. I knew they'd fly.

Edited by eFestivals

3 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

And the antithesis to the current vanilla, identi-fest landscape...

it's very definitely that, although...

I detect that, like so many festivals before them, they're being squeezed by regulation, necessity and good practice in the direction of being 'just another festival'. They're still a *very* long way from being 'just another festival', but I do feel they're going in that direction.

There was a time when i felt that sort of thing would never get Glastonbury ... and yet I'd say that it has. So I don't think boomtown is immune, unfortunately.

Just now, eFestivals said:

it's very definitely that, although...

I detect that, like so many festivals before them, they're being squeezed by regulation, necessity and good practice in the direction of being 'just another festival'. They're still a *very* long way from being 'just another festival', but I do feel they're going in that direction.

There was a time when i felt that sort of thing would never get Glastonbury ... and yet I'd say that it has. So I don't think boomtown is immune, unfortunately.

I think you're right and I think it's pretty much unavoidable, sadly. I'm glad to be going to Boomtown whilst it is seemingly holding on to almost all of its original philosophy. I'm telling myself that, no matter what does happen to it in the future, going to the 10th edition, when it will be fully hitting its stride and ultimate ambitions, will be a real privilege.

For Glastonbury, I think its a case of people individually, and collectively, retaining the festival as what they 'want it to be', even if many aspects are progressively morphing into being a bit more 'like all festivals'. I feel that there still is a 'Glastonbury spirit' for many that has not evaporated. I certainly feel different there to anywhere else...

Ben

45 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

For Glastonbury, I think its a case of people individually, and collectively, retaining the festival as what they 'want it to be', even if many aspects are progressively morphing into being a bit more 'like all festivals'. I feel that there still is a 'Glastonbury spirit' for many that has not evaporated. I certainly feel different there to anywhere else...

for Glastonbury to retain what it was via the individuals involved or as punters, it would require all of those individuals to be the same people who experienced what it was 10, 20, and 30+ years ago - and there's (comparatively) few of those left. And because so many nowadays have been brought up on "standard festival", that's their benchmark for Glastonbury.

And so it changes.

11 hours ago, Sku said:

Looks like Boomtown is now a total sellout. All coach traveller combos are sold out too. 

I'm slightly suspicious as they're now touting a future sale of super-premium-mug-the-punters tickets (they might be called something else, officially :P)

I don't doubt it's sold extremely quickly. I'm thinking they might have snaffled the last coach-combo tickets for that super-expensive option.

7 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'm slightly suspicious as they're now touting a future sale of super-premium-mug-the-punters tickets (they might be called something else, officially :P)

I don't doubt it's sold extremely quickly. I'm thinking they might have snaffled the last coach-combo tickets for that super-expensive option.

You are probably right. "Full Price Ticket" suddenly became a thing when tier 3 was originally meant to be the most expensive ticket. Then coach traveller increased in price... Twice. Then there were shuttle travellers which were full price ticket +10.

The faster it sold, all these more expensive tickets started appearing out of nowhere. 

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

Isn't that just the returned tickets from the deposit and part buy scheme they run? Or have i missed something?

58 minutes ago, Sku said:

You are probably right. "Full Price Ticket" suddenly became a thing when tier 3 was originally meant to be the most expensive ticket. Then coach traveller increased in price... Twice. Then there were shuttle travellers which were full price ticket +10.

The faster it sold, all these more expensive tickets started appearing out of nowhere. 

They did exactly the same last year. I think people are just more aware of it now as the tickets have sold out quicky

15 minutes ago, mr flow said:

Isn't that just the returned tickets from the deposit and part buy scheme they run? Or have i missed something?

don't think so. From the press release...

Boomtown will also be launching the brand new Paradise Gardens ‘Hospitality’ package in the next few weeks, as a final way for those yearning to get involved in this year’s celebrations to be a part of the hottest festival in the UK right now.

20 minutes ago, mr flow said:

They did exactly the same last year.

Did they? I must have missed it.

20 minutes ago, mr flow said:

I think people are just more aware of it now as the tickets have sold out quicky

This year they stated a general sale price early in the process. The final general sale tickets were (I think) £60 more expensive (and more expensive than Glasto tickets).

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

don't think so. From the press release...

Boomtown will also be launching the brand new Paradise Gardens ‘Hospitality’ package in the next few weeks, as a final way for those yearning to get involved in this year’s celebrations to be a part of the hottest festival in the UK right now.

Hadn't seen this.  Hate hospitality packages :(

As good value as Glastonbury is, the last two Boomtowns have edged it for me. You can see where the money has been spent, it was the first thing in my diary for this year. Without a Glastonbury this year,  I feel it will be even more epic and whilst the the first release didn't hold that much for me, some of the smaller venues have some great acts.

• Upvote 1

First-time visitor here, and a bit confused about how things work with regards to camping.

The Boomtown website says that our ticket gives us access to 'all general campsites'. They then name some specific camping grounds ('family camping', the Meadow, Camp Skylark, Tangerine Fields, Camplight).

Am I right to conclude that those 5 named ones are only for pre-pitched options etc., but that there are actually a number of other campsites as well for everyone bringing their own tents?

What are your experiences with camping at Boomtown? What's the best place to be, do you need to rush to get a decent spot, etc.?

Thanks,

WWWDW.

15 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Did you get sorted, Sas? Did you get a volunteer place or are you a common punter like the rest of us?!

Ben

I'm planning on volunteering for Oxfam with my friend :) We can't apply for the places until the 13th March though, as we don't have priority status - I'm hoping there will be some left (and that whatever shifts I have don't clash with the efests meet-up)

Forgive my ignorance here, but is there any other festival that does what Boomtown does in terms of having an ongoing storyline with actors and performers playing parts in an alternate reality? From what I've seen I have been really impressed by the extent to which Boomtown goes to create a feeling of being in an entirely different world.