Boomtown 2018

eFestivals

2 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

On 8 March Mrs Ben and I will celebrate being together for 30 years.

I KNOW!!!

I can categorically declare that part of the reason we've stayed together for so long in true happiness is that we're sometimes apart!!

I know exactly what you mean about your previous pledge to one another not to be apart for a night, but I can only recommend it. Occasionally...!!

Ben
x

I refuse to believe you're old enough to have been courting for 30 years! 

1 minute ago, frostypaw said:

Would it be rude to ask how old you are?

Not in the slightest, Frosty.

I'm 48.

The lovely thing is that I often get asked my age in clubs/raves and when I ask them what they think, they usually say early-mid 30's!

There are two important factors here:

1. Not drinking really helps...!
2. It's really dark in the raves I go to...!!

Ben
:)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

On 8 March Mrs Ben and I will celebrate being together for 30 years.

I KNOW!!!

I can categorically declare that part of the reason we've stayed together for so long in true happiness is that we're sometimes apart!!

I know exactly what you mean about your previous pledge to one another not to be apart for a night, but I can only recommend it. Occasionally...!!

Ben
x

Hello Ben,

Yes, we have had to break our 'vow' in any case, since Glastonbury last year. We were both due to go to the Equinox Festival late last year. At the very bending edge of the last moment, my wife said that she wasn't going. We both knew what her decision meant at the time. It meant that I would have to go without my wife, but with the friend that we had planned to go with. We both KNEW that neither of our lives would be worth living if we said to this friend that neither of us were going, and that he'd have to go on his own. I believe that you've met him (Jamie). I think that I can speak for all when i say that 'When camp as Christmas goes bad, it goes very bad'. Tantrums and Tiaras wouldn't even come close! lol

Since then I've had one night, recently, awayon my tod in the campervan. A whole load of my mates were meeting up in Birmingham, so I drove over there, and parked the campervan at the back of Jamie's. After going to the pub, we went back to Jamie's, took a shed load of pharmaceuticals, and I eventually got in to the campervan to sleep at around 7.30am. It taught me that me and the wife needn't be tied at the hip - if only I'd known this last June!!

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

Yeah I saw that, which is odd because it was only last Thursday when they said the next line up announcement was Tuesday 13th and then every Tuesday and Friday until all finished. 

They apologised on FB and said they weren't ready to release it today, needing to get all their Whistlers Green ducks in a row first.   

• Upvote 1

Sorry to sound like an idiot but honestly i’d never heard of Boomtown before one of my mates mentioned it today after the R&L disappointment and i’ve got a few questions.

What actually is Boomtown? I read something about it being like a theatrical performance but like how does that work? Do people join in with stories or something? i’m confused by the concept lol

Oh and can you buy day tickets or is it exclusively several-day tickets?

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Does Boomtown do layaway / instalment plan for their weekend tickets?

They do a 50/50  ticket split:

50/50 Adult Residency Pass (18+) - Deposit
£236 Adult weekend ticket. Pay the first half of your ticket and all the booking fee now, then full payment must be received by 4th June 2018. Non refundable deposit. Refundable Eco Bond to be added, then collect your £10 refund on site.

14 hours ago, matty13 said:

Sorry to sound like an idiot but honestly i’d never heard of Boomtown before one of my mates mentioned it today after the R&L disappointment and i’ve got a few questions.

What actually is Boomtown? I read something about it being like a theatrical performance but like how does that work? Do people join in with stories or something? i’m confused by the concept lol

Oh and can you buy day tickets or is it exclusively several-day tickets?

Thanks!

It's still a music festival with 100+ stages with all sorts of non-mainstream acts and music styles but yes it all runs around the city which is a mass of setpieces and literal streets. There is a storyline and you can join in but you don't have to - it exists both as the big thread of quest which might have several routes to complete and at a smaller scale with bits of story playing out all over. I've seen bank robberies in mayfair, pirate heists of gold from the wild west, cyborg takeovers downtown, boomtown police crackdowns in main street to puppet shows and street theatre inside street theatre playing out the whole boomtown story in miniature inside boomtown in Old town. 

There's not been a year where I've not ended up in stitches of laughter gasping for breath at the madness of it all.

Only full weekend tickets apart from those for locals.

It's an urban75 picture but this always summed up a side of boomtown for me - look at how much fun this punter's having!

prawnucopia-boomtown-2013-10.jpg

then there's this:

11892172_10153573797541477_3451407608778730362_n.jpg

There's nothing like it. Nobody will believe the stories. It makes Glastonbury look like er... what it is.

Edited by frostypaw
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, frostypaw said:

It's still a music festival with 100+ stages with all sorts of non-mainstream acts and music styles but yes it all runs around the city which is a mass of setpieces and literal streets. There is a storyline and you can join in but you don't have to - it exists both as the big thread of quest which might have several routes to complete and at a smaller scale with bits of story playing out all over. I've seen bank robberies in mayfair, pirate heists of gold from the wild west, cyborg takeovers downtown, boomtown police crackdowns in main street to puppet shows and street theatre inside street theatre playing out the whole boomtown story in miniature inside boomtown in Old town. 

There's not been a year where I've not ended up in stitches of laughter gasping for breath at the madness of it all.

Only full weekend tickets apart from those for locals.

It's an urban75 picture but this always summed up a side of boomtown for me - look at how much fun this punter's having!

prawnucopia-boomtown-2013-10.jpg

then there's this:

11892172_10153573797541477_3451407608778730362_n.jpg

There's nothing like it. Nobody will believe the stories. It makes Glastonbury look like er... what it is.

Quality write up mate, would be interested to here of any more stories if anyones got them.

7 hours ago, deadpheasant said:

Quality write up mate, would be interested to here of any more stories if anyones got them.

Here's a little something I wrote on page 6 of this thread in regards to the "immerse experiences" and theatrical element of the festival.

On 08/12/2017 at 7:41 AM, Sku said:

Even if a door is closed, it might be worth knocking, or speaking to someone hanging around nearby in character. They might know whats inside and how to get to it....

There are definitely "levels" when it comes to finding the secret micro-venues, and "immersive experiences". Some might be found by 10% of festival goers, some 1%, some 0.1% or less. Now I've been a few times hunting out the new and hidden stuff has become a big highlight for me, and I'm constantly amazed at what I keep finding. I'm never sure if it's new, or I just never found it before.

It's normally very hard to follow the full "immersive maze" they mention in promotional material, due to the chaotic nature of the festival. A clue to meet someone in a certain location at 1am for the next part of the story often results in disappointment for example. But it's certainly possible to discover bits and pieces of it here and there, even if you can't find it all and are unable to follow the "story" properly. It's still good fun as little chunks of festival flavour here and there... most of the punters that find themselves in these places have no idea what on earth is going on either, but that's the madness and fun of it!

There is normally at least one hidden horror maze too, which I totally recommend checking out if you can find. It certainly beats the sanitized "theme park" style horror mazes, when you accidentally stumble upon one in the early hours of the morning in a non compos mentis state of mind...

7 hours ago, deadpheasant said:

I strongly recommend the reviews here for a taste of the wider picture - Sean has managed to do a lot more than I've ever been with it enough to accomplish

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/boomtown/2014/review-overview.shtml

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/boomtown/2015/review-overview.shtml

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/boomtown/2017/review.shtml

But it's all just theory until you see the takeover of the town hall by the rebels descend into chaos when your mate turns up as the premier citizen looking hugely the worse for wear before lobbing a spray-cream pie into the face of the rebel leader off-script causing all hell to break loose and everyone to run screaming from an assault of water guns and police whistles -  it's a trial by fire and I can't wait.

• Upvote 3