Boomtown 2018

eFestivals

17 hours ago, Sasperella said:

Sigh...I think you are right :( My friends are definitely not going to decide quick enough...I think one of them is still keen on Bluedot. In desperation I just registered for oxfam volunteering and will do the same when Boomtown open their volunteer positions. 

If you would prefer not to work you are welcome to join camp solo.  Nearly 40 of us currently :) There are several regular efests folk in the group.

I stewarded at Boomtown in 2015 and it marked my retirement as a festival volunteer - it was too much for me !

3 hours ago, Miesh said:

If you would prefer not to work you are welcome to join camp solo.  Nearly 40 of us currently :) There are several regular efests folk in the group.

I stewarded at Boomtown in 2015 and it marked my retirement as a festival volunteer - it was too much for me !

Oh really? What was the problem with it? Too many completely wrecked people...?

Camp solo could be a good shout! Do you already have your ticket? Where do you normally camp/arrive? I've never been to a festival by myself before, but I have seen it talked about a lot on the Glastonbury thread!

19 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Camp solo could be a good shout! Do you already have your ticket? Where do you normally camp/arrive? I've never been to a festival by myself before, but I have seen it talked about a lot on the Glastonbury thread!

I’ve done a few festivals on my own over the years, Sasperella, and always had a good time, so don’t worry about doing so. And I’d always be happy to meet up with you if you were feeling a bit on your own!

I’m going for the first time and will be with people I met. At Glastonbury. When I went there. On my own!!!

Ben x

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

For me personally (and I'm in my late 30's and have ME) the site is a challenge, Glastonbury is bigger but the Boomtown site has steep hills. I partied a bit harder and did less relaxing/chilling out than I do at other festivals. Also Oxfam make/made all stewards do a night shift which I'd managed to avoid with Greenstewards and litter picking.  

So please don't be put off by my experience. I did also enjoy it and the crew facilities and bars were very good. 

The festival goers were friendly and I didn't have any negative experiences in that respect.

I already have my ticket, I've not been to Boomtown with Camp Solo but they camp in Wild West. I'm currently arriving Thursday but may change to Wednesday if it's possible to do so.

I went to Glastonbury on my own last year and it was a liberating and fantastic experience. If you go alone I'd also be happy to meet up with you if decide not to camp with us :)

Hopefully there will be an efests meet in any case, I braved the Glastonbury one for the first time last year and I had a great time.

Are there plans for a meet does anyone know? Was there one last year?

15 minutes ago, Miesh said:

For me personally (and I'm in my late 30's and have ME) the site is a challenge, Glastonbury is bigger but the Boomtown site has steep hills. I partied a bit harder and did less relaxing/chilling out than I do at other festivals. Also Oxfam make/made all stewards do a night shift which I'd managed to avoid with Greenstewards and litter picking.  

So please don't be put off by my experience. I did also enjoy it and the crew facilities and bars were very good. 

The festival goers were friendly and I didn't have any negative experiences in that respect.

I already have my ticket, I've not been to Boomtown with Camp Solo but they camp in Wild West. I'm currently arriving Thursday but may change to Wednesday if it's possible to do so.

I went to Glastonbury on my own last year and it was a liberating and fantastic experience. If you go alone I'd also be happy to meet up with you if decide not to camp with us :)

Hopefully there will be an efests meet in any case, I braved the Glastonbury one for the first time last year and I had a great time.

Are there plans for a meet does anyone know? Was there one last year?

Efest meet every year outside the side of the Bad Apple bar in the town centre on Thursday at about 6 (not sure about the time). Always Pilton Digger , me and a few other efest reprobates.

2 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

I’ve done a few festivals on my own over the years, Sasperella, and always had a good time, so don’t worry about doing so. And I’d always be happy to meet up with you if you were feeling a bit on your own!

I’m going for the first time and will be with people I met. At Glastonbury. When I went there. On my own!!!

Ben x

And I suppose the added bonus of that is that you'll probably always have someone you can convince into going to a festival with you in future :D

1 hour ago, Miesh said:

Cool, thanks guys :) I guess now I just have to decide whether to buy a ticket or steward...either way I definitely want to come! And hopefully my shifts won't clash with any efests meet ups! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deebeedoobee said:

Efest meet every year outside the side of the Bad Apple bar in the town centre on Thursday at about 6 (not sure about the time). Always Pilton Digger , me and a few other efest reprobates.

:bye: Hello Deebeedoobee! It would be lovely to see you. I will do my best to make it, although if I arrive on Thursday I may not get there in time.  

33 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

And I suppose the added bonus of that is that you'll probably always have someone you can convince into going to a festival with you in future :D

Cool, thanks guys :) I guess now I just have to decide whether to buy a ticket or steward...either way I definitely want to come! And hopefully my shifts won't clash with any efests meet ups! 

I'm glad you have decided to go. Working or not you'll have company if you want it. Your friends may even join in when you tell them your decision.

Tickets appear to be selling fast though if you do want a ticket probably best not to wait too long.

4 hours ago, Miesh said:

:bye: Hello Deebeedoobee! It would be lovely to see you. I will do my best to make it, although if I arrive on Thursday I may not get there in time.  

It would be great to see you at the meet if you can. We are usually talking shit there for a couple of hours so you never know.

4 hours ago, Miesh said:

Tickets appear to be selling fast though if you do want a ticket probably best not to wait too long.

Good shout. I reckon I'll go for Oxfam (and hope I can get a place!) it somehow seems less daunting being a solo traveller that way (even though as @bennyhana22 says, I would probably meet a lot of great people and have a blast)...plus I wouldn't mind saving myself £250. Either way, hopefully see you there :)

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, deebeedoobee said:

Thanks deebeedoobee. That's the information that I needed. I've not been before, but hope to go this year. I've bought tickets for it ie I want to go. However, as last Glastonbury proved, I am not always able to go to the things that I book and pay for. Fortunately, for them, one lucky 'wanna go to Glasto' person got my ticket last year - free gratis, at that. If it comes to it, I am now prepared to go to BoomTown on my own ie without my wife. The only thing that will stop me now is not having enough cash at the time. Really not sure how that one's going to pan out at this stage. I neither work, nor claim any benefits. This has been the situation for a number of years now. How much longer I can sustain this, time will tell. I could make money, but have, essentially, turned in to a rather lazy person - or maybe that should be laid back person. Apart from working for my family concern from about the age of 14, I have worked for an employer for over 30 years. I think I'm just knackered now, to be honest. 

So, thanks for the info on the meet. Will see you all there, if able. 

PS - Ben at al - this is not me backing out. It's just me being practical. And it's a bit of me feeling like a spanner for not going to Glastonbury last year, when I really should have. And the reason why I should have gone then, and want to go to BoomTown this year? It's purely to hook up with you 'reprobates'! Now, if that's not the finest example of the pot calling the kettle black, then I don't know what is. 

Live long and prosper ladies and gentlemen. :)

11 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

PS - Ben at al - this is not me backing out. It's just me being practical. And it's a bit of me feeling like a spanner for not going to Glastonbury last year, when I really should have. And the reason why I should have gone then, and want to go to BoomTown this year? It's purely to hook up with you 'reprobates'! Now, if that's not the finest example of the pot calling the kettle black, then I don't know what is. 

Live long and prosper ladies and gentlemen. :)

In Black & White, lovely Yog...

You had bloody well better go or I'll 'ave you!

Come on the coach with me - we'll have a blast!!!

Ben
x

3 hours ago, Miesh said:

Hello @Yoghurt on a Stick.

You should have gone to Glastonbury last year but you didn't. That can't be changed.  Boomtown is the best part of 6 months away. Plenty of time to get your arse in gear and do whatever needs to be done.

It would be great to see you there, Miesh :)

@Yoghurt on a Stick

This ⬆️!

:)

Ben

7 hours ago, Miesh said:

Hello @Yoghurt on a Stick.

You should have gone to Glastonbury last year but you didn't. That can't be changed.  Boomtown is the best part of 6 months away. Plenty of time to get your arse in gear and do whatever needs to be done.

It would be great to see you there, Miesh :)

Hello Miesh,

Point taken. I think I was just a bit pissed when I wrote what I did. You are right though, in that there are no excuses. I'll be there. I am not going to do the Glastonbury thing all over again. In fact, I'm really looking forward to going. I've not been before and have only heard good things about it. Very good things. So, it'll be really nice to explore something totally new. Looking forward to meeting you, and all the other efesters. Getting back in to the groove with it, I'll possibly go down on the Wednesday night and stay over locally, so that I can access the festival at the earliest opportunity on the Thursday. :)

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

In Black & White, lovely Yog...

You had bloody well better go or I'll 'ave you!

Come on the coach with me - we'll have a blast!!!

Ben
x

Hello Ben,

Don't worry, I'll be there. Couldn't face The Wrath of Ben! I've actually booked the campervan in along with two tickets. I can forsee my wife pulling a fast one closer to the time and saying that she doesn't want to go. If this is the case then I'll be going anyway. We had originally vowed not to spend a night apart from each other ever, but with one thing or another, that's kind of gone out of the window now, so it'll not be a problem. :)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello Ben,

Don't worry, I'll be there. Couldn't face The Wrath of Ben! I've actually booked the campervan in along with two tickets. I can forsee my wife pulling a fast one closer to the time and saying that she doesn't want to go. If this is the case then I'll be going anyway. We had originally vowed not to spend a night apart from each other ever, but with one thing or another, that's kind of gone out of the window now, so it'll not be a problem. :)

Good to know. And tickets are not non transferable like Glastonbury. You can get the name changed nearer the time and whilst this may mean your wife isn't there you could get some money back.

3 hours ago, Miesh said:

Good to know. And tickets are not non transferable like Glastonbury. You can get the name changed nearer the time and whilst this may mean your wife isn't there you could get some money back.

Thanks for the information Miesh. I hadn't thought about ticket transferability. I just gave my Glasto ticket to a desperado wanting to get in. I do have a tendency to book and pay for things and end up not going. It's such a waste of money. It'll not happen in this instance though. As you say, if my wife does pull a fast one, there's a good chance I could sell it. That would help pay for some of the booze, at least. :)

On 2/11/2018 at 7:40 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello Ben,

On 8 March Mrs Ben and I will celebrate being together for 30 years.

I KNOW!!!

I can categorically declare that part of the reason we've stayed together for so long in true happiness is that we're sometimes apart!!

I know exactly what you mean about your previous pledge to one another not to be apart for a night, but I can only recommend it. Occasionally...!!

Ben
x

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

it's impossible to guess, but with over half sold before last week's announcement it won't be too long before its sold out.

Get in quick!

I’m hoping it’ll hold out for a fortnight until I get paid again. One of my close friends went last year and said it was the most amazing festival experience they’ve ever had. It looks bloody great! 

It's almost the opposite to Reading (which I loved years ago). 

Where Reading is (or at least used to be) just about who was on stage while being surrounded by adverts, Boomtown is an adventure through loads of immersive sets between which you stumble across something that makes you hang around in one place for a bit with a sprinkling of acts that you intend to see thrown in too.

That said there's far much more on the BoomTown lineup for me than R&L this year.