Boomtown 2018

eFestivals

Hmmm (again)

Not sure how I feel about creating an extra element to a festival that is significantly restricted in terms of availability.

Yes, I understand the (official) rationale of spreading out congestion in terms of getting us all through the gates, but it still smacks of non-egalitarianism from an organisation that prides itself of its independence and (admirable, don't get me wrong) pursuit of the community approach to all it does.

From a purely practical (if slightly self-focused) perspective, it could cock up people's efforts to camp right next to pals if some get in on Wednesday and others not...

Ben

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

i can't really see any 'anyone can arrive' or entertainment for the wednesday - as either one is likely to defeat the aim of spreading the arrivals.

Am I correct that there is (proportionately, of course) less going on on the Thursday entertainment-wise than Glastonbury, or, again like GF, does the Thursday programme seem to get more substantial with each subsequent year?

Ben

6 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Am I correct that there is (proportionately, of course) less going on on the Thursday entertainment-wise than Glastonbury, or, again like GF, does the Thursday programme seem to get more substantial with each subsequent year?

Ben

i'm not really sure to be honest. Others might know.

9 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Hmmm (again)

Not sure how I feel about creating an extra element to a festival that is significantly restricted in terms of availability.

Yes, I understand the (official) rationale of spreading out congestion in terms of getting us all through the gates, but it still smacks of non-egalitarianism from an organisation that prides itself of its independence and (admirable, don't get me wrong) pursuit of the community approach to all it does.

From a purely practical (if slightly self-focused) perspective, it could cock up people's efforts to camp right next to pals if some get in on Wednesday and others not...

Ben

I've looked at putting on a fest more than once, and every time I gave up because I realised just how many compromises I'd have to make from my original vision, that it would end up as something different to what I wanted to do. 

I guess this is one of those moments for Boomtown.

27 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Hmmm (again)

Ben

I'm not sure i agree with the non-egalitarianism theory. It's an effort to try and stagger the entry rather than 50K+ arriving at the same time and causing the headaches of traffic and entry they had last year. If you and your mates want to camp together, get Wednesday access tickets, If you can't all get Wednesday access tickets, just all go on the Thursday. The whole site isn't being opened on the Weds, so there will be plenty of space to all camp together.

As Neil said, it's just another compromise that Boomtown are having to make due to issues with the council/police/locals

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Ben

There is a fair bit less going on Thursday evening, but it has increased over the years. A large majority arrive on Thursday, and everyone is pretty much pumped to start partying immediately after they set up their tent. The festival increasingly caters to this. The atmosphere is normally pretty good on Thursday even if the entertainment is only running at 25% of the other days. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

so I was almost right. Just enough going on to counter boredom.

I suppose so.  However when Glastonbury first started opening on Wednesday there wasn't much going on in terms of official entertainment. I think over the years overcrowding in places where there was stuff on led to more being provided to counteract the overcrowding? Although at Glastonbury the whole site was open/accessible  and walking around is entertainment in itself.

I'd be happy just being there chilling round the tent. As I've said before - its my birthday. Better that than a quiet day at home.

I do get Ben's point but they do have to try and improve on last year's queues. Also at Glastonbury there are Wednesday and Thursday coaches.

Most of my group don't seem keen on Wednesday arrival and we are planning to camp in the area that will be open on Wednesday.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Miesh said:

However when Glastonbury first started opening on Wednesday there wasn't much going on in terms of official entertainment. I think over the years overcrowding in places where there was stuff on led to more being provided to counteract the overcrowding? Although at Glastonbury the whole site was open/accessible  and walking around is entertainment in itself.

glasto has been opening on the wednesday since at least 1986 (when I first went). What changed at Glasto was it stating the dates of the festival from Wednesday which then caused everyone to turn up on the Wednesday.

Boomtown is going to be a limited-access Wednesday and i can't see that changing - so anything they put on is going to be low-key, because otherwise those who are not allowed to arrive will start kicking off about what they don't get to see.

15 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

I get your point here but there was so much room in the campsites that I'm sure you could camp together in the neck of the woods that you intend to if you turned up on the Thursday.

15 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Yes. Can't talk historically but last year (my first year) I didn't think much was going on at all but there are loads of really nice seating areas around so most people, myself included were content catching up with friends, making new ones and just being. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, mr flow said:

I'm not sure i agree with the non-egalitarianism theory. It's an effort to try and stagger the entry rather than 50K+ arriving at the same time and causing the headaches of traffic and entry they had last year. If you and your mates want to camp together, get Wednesday access tickets, If you can't all get Wednesday access tickets, just all go on the Thursday. The whole site isn't being opened on the Weds, so there will be plenty of space to all camp together.

As Neil said, it's just another compromise that Boomtown are having to make due to issues with the council/police/locals

Fair do's, Mr F!

:)

Ben

19 hours ago, Sku said:

There is a fair bit less going on Thursday evening, but it has increased over the years. A large majority arrive on Thursday, and everyone is pretty much pumped to start partying immediately after they set up their tent. The festival increasingly caters to this. The atmosphere is normally pretty good on Thursday even if the entertainment is only running at 25% of the other days. 

Thanks, Sku

It'll be interesting to see how the Wednesday works for those that go (assuming the extended opening all comes to pass). Wednesday at Glastonbury is now so established, but I'm guessing it took a while from addition, to become the entity it is today.

Ben

1 minute ago, bennyhana22 said:

I like to get my complaints in early...

:D

Ben

As it happens, Boomtown have today published something that talks around these sorts of issues.

https://www.boomtownfair.co.uk/news/2018-02-07-boomtown-at-chapter-10/

It's mostly not-saying-a-lot self-endorsing fluff, but touches on the balancing act they have to do in order to keep everyone happy enough for it to be able to happen.

Leaky like a very leaky thing.... playlist is now private again but you can still scroll down this list

Some pretty exciting things there. If I can pull my herbaliser connection and get tickets I'll scream now I've actually bought some lol

Edited by frostypaw
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

Leaky like a very leaky thing.... playlist is now private again but you can still scroll down this list

Some pretty exciting things there. If I can pull my herbaliser connection and get tickets I'll scream now I've actually bought some lol

i'd list them on the line-up page, but Capkain seemed a little unimpressed by my Jimmy Cliff tweet the other day.

So i'll definitely list them. :lol:

3 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

SB6 can be hit and miss in my opinion. I've enjoyed a few of them but walked away form a couple too. Enter Shakari and Limp Bizkit have been brilliant when I saw them in the past too. Chuffed if they all tun out to be on.

I've only seen them 3 times to be fair, 2 at festivals and one gig. I've loved every time though. Plus I absolutely love their music so I'm going to be biased haha