Boomtown 2018

eFestivals

10 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

Big load of excitement and nerves here - we've lost our easy early access via gate crew sadly so will actually have to pay this year :/ think I might get two just as insurance

The exchange seems to be losing a few stages downtown to add another district and increase levels from the main stages there - could be a good thing.

Loving the note about removing the downtown camping for "a less intense atmosphere" - that's funny as heck though tbh it seemed calmer down there the last two years anyway

Ps. that license application failure - glad of no increase in numbers but do we know if they're still doing wednesday access tickets?

Re Wednesday access, I am very interested in that.  The only news article I have found is this one which states the decision on the amended application will be made at a later date.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-42833770

"Winchester City Council is due to make a decision on the revised licensing application at a later date"

The majority of the Wednesday arrivals, if permitted, are going to be by coach.  I have already booked a coach ticket, so I am hoping that it might be possible to change the coach ticket and arrive on the Wednesday.  This would be amazing because it's my birthday! :yahoo:

Can anyone remember how much longer the coach tickets were still available after the general tickets sold out last year? Went to buy one last night but didn't realise id need £260 up front to buy one. Was hoping they did some sort of split payment option like they do for the general tickets. Pay day is another 4 weeks for me.....

1 hour ago, TheFullShaboo said:

Can anyone remember how much longer the coach tickets were still available after the general tickets sold out last year? Went to buy one last night but didn't realise id need £260 up front to buy one. Was hoping they did some sort of split payment option like they do for the general tickets. Pay day is another 4 weeks for me.....

you can buy a normal ticket with deposit then get the coach ticket separately I think 

7 hours ago, mr flow said:

Yeah that was my thoughts. New house stage to replace Vamos maybe?

Sounds about right. We know a new house stage and new metal stage are planned from the license application. With a rearrange of downtown, and camping down there perhaps removed there is certainly room for another large stage (development surely already well underway before they knew increased capacity would be denied).

A new large stage would make sense to help absorb the extra 20,000 punters. With the license application now rejected, I guess they have cut back on microvenues, rather than have it scupper the plans for a new stage. Certainly 20,000 additional punters don't need to be absorbed anymore so I guess they had to cut back somewhere, and small venues got the chop. It's all making sense I think if this is true. 

With any luck they are looking to nail the logistics this year, and get their capacity increase in future years. At least a couple of the guys running the small stages seem hopeful in Facebook posts that it's just a "year off" and they'll be back next year. I really hope so. 

On a different point, worth noting a lot of the video looks like it was filmed in the mini indoor Boomtown they set up for their staff party. There isn't an indoor street like that at the actual festival! 

Edited by Sku

8 hours ago, frostypaw said:

The small venue chop was before the cap-increase rejection - it was for noise pollution control, not any visitor number considerations. 

Reading the internal email that was posted in this thread a few pages back it seems like a mixture of both reasons.

Their email mostly points to the fact that budgets are frozen and savings need to be made because of the license rejection, and only briefly mentions sound levels.

It seems Boomtown knew it was going to be rejected before the decision was made public, from the leaked email. I guess they could be in "damage limitation" mode in their email and bending the truth, but it does seem from what they have written at least that the small venues being axed was the plan only as a result of the license rejection.. . But I guess you must know something more, I don't have any kind of inside source just following the thread =) 

Edited by Sku

On 02/02/2018 at 9:48 PM, Sku said:

But I guess you must know something more, I don't have any kind of inside source just following the thread =) 

I was just going by the license application. Maybe there had been conversations in advance of even submitting that - it is a bit confusing.

Tickets bought now anyway :)

Yeah much as some have tried to lay all the blame for the delays on the organisers/weather it was mostly down to the extreme search requirements - as evidenced by how freely flowing the system was once they relaxed requirements when the queue situation got dangerous. Can only imagine they're overjoyed at being able to take longer over it.

Weds opening still a great thing though, will be aiming for that I think.

Hmmm...

So they only announce a Wednesday opening a few hours ago and National Express have 'Sold Out' of Wednesday departure slots from Birmingham...

Is that real, do we think?

Surely people wouldn't have chosen a Wednesday departure if opening was on the Thursday..? As far as I know, other than coaches from Scotland, no Glastonbury coaches leave on the Tuesday...

Could it be that they just haven't actually put them on sale yet?

I've got a 0545h departure booked on the Thursday, but would almost definitely change that to Wednesday, given the chance...

Thoughts, team?

Ben

I don't think Wednesday coaches have been put on sale yet. From what I remember reading the application Wednesday arrivals will be limited and the majority of those have to be via coach. Also there was a  £40 top up fee I think.  

Hopefully they will announce something soon.