All Points East Festival 2018

finn_with_1_n

52 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

Bang average from the National tonight, I thought. Good, tight performance but a safe, and therefore kinda poor, setlist. Was also too short. 

I loved it. Not their best setlist granted but the atmosphere was fantastic and the About Today tribute was pretty emptional. For the big crowd that turned up there was enough for everyone. 

Can’t believe so many people like The National! And knew all the words!

just back from a great day. Not been to Vic Park for 10 years since Radiohead and Field Day, and this festival seemed to combine those events and improve on them. Superb setup

This is the Kit and Public Sevice Broadcasting were highlights, War on Drugs were pretty ace and the crowd for The National were bang up for it. However I agree the with above, something missing from the band tonight - Matt missing a bit of his usual ‘energy’. Still enjoyed it though. 

V jealous of anyone going to the Cave day tmrw. Can’t wait to see what acts they get next year 

8 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Just try following the app is all you can do. The clashfinder runs on the app’s information and the times printed at the festival are probably weeks out of date. It’s a fiasco really as there are times today that can’t be right but I think the app is the best indicator you’re gonna get. They need to get this sorted next year as has been said.

There are metal detectors yeah. They didn’t actually check the bottle of water that I absent-mindedly opened and had a bit of on my way so that might be a goer if you can’t think of anything more creative. Price of mixers is quite bad though.

Thank you. I hope it'll all go smoothly. Disappointing they didnt sort the stage times properly but nevermind. Is there anywhere we can charge our phones? 

Much busier than the Bjork day yesterday with some quite big queues at times but still a very good day in the sunshine. They fenced off the whole West Stage area. Thought maybe they could have kept that open if only as a chill out area.

Enjoyed Amber Run and Spoon but was a little disappointed with TWOD, perhaps I was expecting too much. Only lasted a few songs from The National as was feeling a bit “tired”

Keep refreshing the app for the set times. They do seem to change at rather short notice.

Looking forward to seeing Nick Cave today. What a brilliant addition to the summer this festival has been.

Yesterday was much busier than last weekend so I’m guessing the capacity hasn’t changed that dramatically considering the fewer stages. Didn’t notice any effect on queues or ability to move through crowds though, just seemed to improve the atmosphere. Ground conditions were perfect as was the weather, mind you I’m rather bloody sunburnt now, plus the rum I easily managed to sneak in is not doing my head any favours. Caught The Districts - PSB - Cat Power - Future Islands - The National, brilliants sets by all. Special mention to the National, considering I’d never listened to them before buying a ticket (got a ticket because I wanted to see Future Islands again) that set goes into one of my all time favourite headliner performances!

In addition to others already mentioned, I was impressed/surprised by Warpaint and Broken Social Scene yesterday, perfect chilling in the sun music, although I have no idea what was going on with the sound for a bit in the beginning of Warpaint's set

Agree with those who said it was well organised with good sound. A very promising first year.

My major gripe was the ridiculous decision to stick WOD on the East stage. Went over there after Future Islands with the intention of catching a bit whilst stood at the back. Sadly it seemed 30,000 people had the same idea. Was absolutely heaving and couldn’t get close enough to even hear anything. Sacked it off after 5 minutes.

1 hour ago, The Clearest Blue said:

Yesterday was much busier than last weekend so I’m guessing the capacity hasn’t changed that dramatically considering the fewer stages. 

Was on the gate yesterday, capacity for this weekend is roughly 35,000 apparently. Were expecting about 25,000 yesterday. 

I managed to smuggle my goodies in and a bottle of vodka in my undies, but my friend got caught by a sniffer dog. He was taken into the tent and they said if he owns up and hands it over he can go into the festival. He only had a small amount of weed so gave it up and they let him in. 

There seemed to be two dogs walking around once you get through the metal detectors. It's just pot luck whether or not you walk into one of them. Stay safe everyone. 

Edited by russycarps

3 minutes ago, russycarps said:

There seemed to be two dogs walking around once you get through the metal detectors. It's just pot luck whether or not you walk into one of them. Stay safe everyone. 

Later in the day - around 3pm - they start randomly picking people walking through and line them up for the dogs to sniff. 

Had a great day out yesterday - the festival seemed super well organised. Enjoyed Amber Run and Spoon a lot considering I'd never really listened to either, and pretty happy with The National's set. Decided to give War on Drugs a miss because I figured the stage would be absolutely heaving if I left after Future Islands and by all accounts that seems like it worked out in the end.

I went on Friday was pretty easy to get stuff in, although one of the attendants tried to take our unopened bottles of 'water' off us, but we got them back. Great time there, highlights were Catfish, Blossoms and Frank Carter. Was really surprised with how many flares there were in Blossoms, probably more than for Catfish the actual headliner. They came after some people with flares but after a bit they stopped because there were too many. During blossoms two security guards came to stop the moshing and everyone circled them which was hilarious. Frank Carter was really good live, hadn't really listened to the band before but they are awesome and the crowd was great on the second stage. Biggest disapointment was probably The Neighbourhood, maybe they are always like that but the atmosphere was just really dry compared to the other acts.

• Upvote 1

Well that was one of the worst festival crowds I’ve ever seen. Had anyone even heard a Nick Cave song before? We moved around a fair bit and just awful everywhere. Best reaction was for Kylie, Loverman was dead. Other than that it was a top quality day, but I have no idea who sold that day out without knowing any of the songs. 

23 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

I see they played Rings Of Saturn for the first time! Nice. 

Thinks that's a mistake. It was Magneto. 

Didn't find the crowd too bad where I was. Nice vibe about half way back. Did have to ask one gent and his girlfriend not to push in front of me and then immediately start talking over the songs though. He moved shortly after that conversation. 

5 hours ago, gfa said:

I went on Friday was pretty easy to get stuff in, although one of the attendants tried to take our unopened bottles of 'water' off us, but we got them back. Great time there, highlights were Catfish, Blossoms and Frank Carter. Was really surprised with how many flares there were in Blossoms, probably more than for Catfish the actual headliner. They came after some people with flares but after a bit they stopped because there were too many. During blossoms two security guards came to stop the moshing and everyone circled them which was hilarious. Frank Carter was really good live, hadn't really listened to the band before but they are awesome and the crowd was great on the second stage. Biggest disapointment was probably The Neighbourhood, maybe they are always like that but the atmosphere was just really dry compared to the other acts.

The Blossoms flares thing is something to do with the fact that their big brother band Courteeners have an association with flares at their outside gigs. There’s always flares going off left, right and centre when either of those bands play a festival in the U.K. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

So now that it's all over:

How would you rank the headliners?

Which day was the best?

What was the best non-headliner set?

For headliners performance I think it would be Nick Cave, Bjork, LCD, then The XX. Best day for me was LCD day and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs was the best set I saw out of everything. All in all its been a great two weekends, combined with the Meltdown gigs and Mad Cool this year has been OK considering no Glasto!

13 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

So now that it's all over:

How would you rank the headliners?

Which day was the best?

What was the best non-headliner set?

1st) Nick Cave, 2nd) LCD, 3rd) Bjork

Friday was my favourite day. Even though I rated Nick Cave slightly higher, LCD were still 10/10 and YYYs were incredible.

Best non headliner was YYYs without a doubt.

Edited by PDAD

Thought this was a pretty great line up for a new festival! Went for the national day and loved it, although set times were a bit mad and could not believe the queue for a grilled cheese sandwich! Did anyone else think the sound on the north stage was a bit pants?? It was only really clear if you were near the front, which in the dash between Future Islands and WOD we definitely were not. Loved Future Islands though and the National were incredible. Yeh they played a lot of the new album... but I like the new album and About Today was such a highlight. The crowd was so much nicer than I've had at previous festivals too, really friendly and amazed at everyone singing along. Was a bit peeved at the guy I was next to who felt the need to apologise to all of us around him and warn us that he may go a bit mental as he was a superfan, and then started belted out all the wrong words tuneless throughout their whole set. Loud Jim if you are on here, nice gesture but please learn the lyrics next time.

2 hours ago, loveturtles said:

Thought this was a pretty great line up for a new festival! Went for the national day and loved it, although set times were a bit mad and could not believe the queue for a grilled cheese sandwich! Did anyone else think the sound on the north stage was a bit pants?? It was only really clear if you were near the front, which in the dash between Future Islands and WOD we definitely were not. Loved Future Islands though and the National were incredible. Yeh they played a lot of the new album... but I like the new album and About Today was such a highlight. The crowd was so much nicer than I've had at previous festivals too, really friendly and amazed at everyone singing along. Was a bit peeved at the guy I was next to who felt the need to apologise to all of us around him and warn us that he may go a bit mental as he was a superfan, and then started belted out all the wrong words tuneless throughout their whole set. Loud Jim if you are on here, nice gesture but please learn the lyrics next time.

I went to the same day and thought the sound on the North Stage was a bit off for some bands. Was right down the front for The Districts and a bit further back for This is the Kit and thought it was all a bit quiet (The Districts especially needed louder vocals), but it seemed fine when we were further back for Broken Social Scene and Warpaint - might just be me imagining things.

I had  a great 2 days here.

Saturday:

I loved The National (albeit I accept that I might be a little biased) and don't understand some of the earlier comments; setlists are always geared towards the last album, the set lasted the advertised time and as for Matt's performance, it was a little less frantic than I've seen before but he seemed to be drinking water all night, no wine in sight it seemed; I don't know if that had anything to do with it. About Today was a lovely touch and the crowd singalong for Vanderlyle was fantastic.

Also loved the PSB set - 1st time I've seen them and really looking forward to seeing them again at Green Man.

Low point was enduring Future Islands to be near the front for The National. Sorry but all I get is a mad man leaping about the stage attempting some occasional Tibetan throat singing - and before I get dogs abuse from F I fans of which there are clearly many, that is just my opinion, it just doesn't do it for me.

Sunday:

Nadine Shah - much better than I was expecting, I'll certainly try to catch her again.

Brix Smith was an unexpected treat - Totally Wired, brilliant.

Patti Smith - it was just an absolute privilege to be there.

Nick Cave - what can I say, possibly the best live act on the planet + Kylie Minogue for Where the Wild Roses Grow - just awesome.

All in all a really good festival, hopefully they can come up with the same standard of line up in future.

• Like 1