All Points East Festival 2018

finn_with_1_n

3 hours ago, dentalplan said:

The second weekend acts are bigger than the first, which goes with them not being packaged together for a weekend ticket. They're also more rockier. So I'd say the likes of Arcade Fire whenever they're back would be APE Presents, and The Strokes too but that's not a prediction just an example.

Ahh I didn't realise they were billed as separate events. That makes more sense then.

I wonder if they'll be able to put such a good lineup together with Glastonbury on. 

Really looking forward to the Nick Cave show after reading all the positive comments.

How long did it take people to get out after the show finished? We've got a mad dash across London to Euston to get the last train back to.the.Midlands and desperately don't want to leave till the band end! 

Also got a spare ticket for Nick Cave for sale if anyone is interested - looking for around £50.

Nice one.

3 hours ago, Mash011 said:

APE headliners play almost entirely in darkness tbf as it's still early in the year. Even Lorde was finishing in near darkness on Saturday. That alone is a major advantage this fest has over other London ones. 

Edit wait I misread that. Ignore this post. They'd headline anyway, did at citadel a couple years ago. But I only think they'll be back at Vicky Park so soon if they've got the big band show together again. 

It sold poorly though; two-for-ones and competitions galore. I can’t see any real argument that they’re bigger than TWOD, Beck, Lorde nowadays.

I’m gonna start working on an OG prediction for when the thread starts this time next week.

Great festival, came over from Ireland for it and was impressed with the set up, organisation, the sound and the crowd, lineup was a belter as well and Friday had so many clashes. Missed one or two acts I'd like to see but compromises have to be made in groups! Thought Phoenix were the highlight for me, LCD were great too but I was too drunk and have a hazier memory than I should. Weather made it even better but unfortunately it made it too hot to enjoy Despacio, felt like a sauna in there on Saturday afternoon. 

1 hour ago, Dirtybackbeat said:

Really looking forward to the Nick Cave show after reading all the positive comments.

How long did it take people to get out after the show finished? We've got a mad dash across London to Euston to get the last train back to.the.Midlands and desperately don't want to leave till the band end! 

Also got a spare ticket for Nick Cave for sale if anyone is interested - looking for around £50.

Nice one.

We left the site at 22:55 and were at St Pancras in time to catch the 23:36 departure to Bedford. That was with quick walking and sucking in our stomachs to cram into rammed tube carriages though, if you prefer to avoid harrowing experiences I'd allow yourselves up to an hour. The act of physically walking off the site won't be an issue though if that's what you mean, the exits are perfectly sensibly sized.

Do we reckon they'll stick with the same format next year? (APE+APE Presents) Seems to me pretty liable to change since this was the first year of it. 

1 hour ago, DR OK said:

Guessing something like Gorillaz, Vampire Weekend and Foals

Foals did last year's Citadel so it'd be odd for them to return. Be surprised if Gorillaz were still going, too, they're not the kind of act that tours for that long are they? 

Trying to think of more dancey headliners that could do it. Maybe we could see a Deadmau5 day or something like that? Disclosure? 

16 minutes ago, DR OK said:

New gorillaz album is out end of June. 

Hoping they don't go down the dance or rap route as there are plenty of festivals out there for those audiences. Would love if it becomes the go to alternative festival

Well the main festival was pretty clearly booked with a dnace/indie crossover appeal in mind. Hard to think of acts that fit nicely into that box. Tbh thinking about it more Disclosure feel like they'd fit very comfortably into it. 

And I'm not sure this gorillaz album will be a big enough thing to be toured much. Might be more like The Fall with it coming so soon after. We'll see. 

Edited by Mash011

12 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Well the main festival was pretty clearly booked with a dnace/indie crossover appeal in mind. Hard to think of acts that fit nicely into that box. Tbh thinking about it more Disclosure feel like they'd fit very comfortably into it. 

Yeah. Not deadmau5 tho.

Further down the bill they could have FKA twigs, Metronomy, Hot Chip, Caribou, Jon Hopkins, Jungle, etc.

edit: Chvrches, defo James Blake

Edited by dentalplan

Echo everything being said in here. Had a top day on Sunday.

Snuck in 500ml of rum which had me in a bit of a state by the time Bjork got on. Thought her whole show was superb though - emphasis on the word 'show'. I wouldn't call it a gig.

Everyone else I saw (Sylvan Esso/Django Django/Yaeji/Flying Lotus/Beck) were brilliant too. The sound was flawless as has been said, thought the stage designs were excellent too.

Confident I'll be back next year, probably for the full weekend. 11 hours megabus travel on the one day isn't ideal.

How difficult was it to get away from the event? I’m assuming Mile End tube station was rammed, is it worth walking an extra few minutes to another station? My last train is at 23:45 at Paddington so I’m not expecting to catch the end of the headliner but how would people recommend leaving?

14 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah. Not deadmau5 tho.

Further down the bill they could have FKA twigs, Metronomy, Hot Chip, Caribou, Jon Hopkins, Jungle, etc.

edit: Chvrches, defo James Blake

Chvrches could’ve been a great headliner for this if they hadn’t totally fucked it with this album campaign. Perfect fit for a North Stage headliner now.

Caribou into James Blake into Frank Ocean/Bon Iver on the main stage soundsystem would be a gorgeous night out, let’s have that please.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

1 hour ago, BeddingatReading said:

How difficult was it to get away from the event? I’m assuming Mile End tube station was rammed, is it worth walking an extra few minutes to another station? My last train is at 23:45 at Paddington so I’m not expecting to catch the end of the headliner but how would people recommend leaving?

we did Bethnal Green to and from every day, 15 min walk from Victoria Park but RAMMED after the gigs (Mile End prob worse) - managed to squeeze on though!

19 hours ago, dentalplan said:

It sold poorly though; two-for-ones and competitions galore. I can’t see any real argument that they’re bigger than TWOD, Beck, Lorde nowadays.

I’m gonna start working on an OG prediction for when the thread starts this time next week.

Are you referring to Sigur Ros?  I'm not sure how much of a pull Beck is now. "Colors" seemed to come and go, literally years ago, without much fanfare.

Thanks everyone for all the positve reports and info on here - am really looking forward to next Saturday and Sunday.

4 hours ago, ConorC said:

Snuck in 500ml of rum which had me in a bit of a state by the time Bjork got on. Thought her whole show was superb though - emphasis on the word 'show'. I wouldn't call it a gig..

Glad you hada  good time.  Megabus shift sounds tough!  Can I ask what your Rum Tactics were?  Am i going to get away with a capri sun pouch down my shorts?

I only left early during The XX, other two days I left when the headliner finished and everyone else was shuffling out. I found it was busy walking down to Mile End, but not actually that jam packed inside the station itself. Maybe I'm lucky because I go back East instead of West, but I think if you had a train to catch and left just one or two songs early you would be fine getting on a tube there.

I’m going this weekend all three days. I have a couple of questions to those who attended the first weekend.

(1) Do you recommend me to wear trekking shoes or even wellies? Are trainers good enough? What was the terrain like when it rained, especially Sunday after the ground was trodden by the hordes by then?

(2) I’m considering upgrade to VIP for a better viewing of the stage. Is it worth it?

Any comments appreciated. Thanks.

3 hours ago, zzzfest said:

I’m going this weekend all three days. I have a couple of questions to those who attended the first weekend.

(1) Do you recommend me to wear trekking shoes or even wellies? Are trainers good enough? What was the terrain like when it rained, especially Sunday after the ground was trodden by the hordes by then?

(2) I’m considering upgrade to VIP for a better viewing of the stage. Is it worth it?

Any comments appreciated. Thanks.

1. The rain didn’t hit until after everyone had gone home so was fine, although the site is open all this week for free entry so may have got churned up since then, although I would think as long as there’s no serious rain trainers you don’t mind killing are fine, walking boots possibly depending on how bad it is this week.

2. I didn’t do VIP myself and people will be able to correct me, my understanding is that the VIP area only offers an area to the left of the stage with no actual sight of it, so it’s almost behind of it, more of a place for respite than a better view. I certainly didn’t see any VIP viewing platforms or anything like that.  

• Upvote 1