All Points East Festival 2018

finn_with_1_n

Had a great day yesterday. Highlights for me were Beck and Django Django. It was very hot but thankfully avoided the thunderstorms.

For those going next week bag search and metal detector checks and everyone had to walk past a police dog.

looking forward to The National and Cave next weekend. 

Awesome day - the sound was amazing at every stage, hardly any queues for anything and the weather held up. 

Only slight disappointment was that Father John Misty only played for about 45 minutes , but what he did play was amazing so I'm fine with it. 

One of my surprise highlights was having a good old dance to Black Madonna - what a fantastic stage that big X thing is. 

Also, if the moron who was next to me during Django Django rubbing tiny amounts of cocaine into his gums and waving a ridiculous inflatable monkey around happens to be on here - you are an embarrassment to mankind. 

My only gripe from yesterday was the crowd at Bjork, I moved around about 5 times trying to find a spot where I wasn’t surrounded by talkers, never managed it. I guess it’s to be expected with her playing all of her new music. The lightening off in the distance as she came on was pretty magical mind you and her performance was amazing. I really enjoyed Kelala and FlyLo too, the latter was so intense in places, but amazing all the same. 

Great day yesterday. There were a few cases where people would just be chatting loudly during the set or turning round waving their arms trying to find their friends but I'd just say excuse me and move a couple places in front and it was usually fine.

Overall I thought it had great atmosphere, sound & visuals on the "East" stage were superb and enough and a good variety of food/drinks, I'd defo go next year if they keep it on. Only snags were the clashes as I'd like to have seen Django & FlyLo.

I'm interested to see if anyone had any really nice food. I only had the chicken & chorizo wrap which was good but I'm going again next week for The National and wonder if anyone had anything better.

4 minutes ago, deadpheasant said:

I'm interested to see if anyone had any really nice food. I only had the chicken & chorizo wrap which was good but I'm going again next week for The National and wonder if anyone had anything better.

Know the little area with all the trees and picnic benches before the main stage? There's a sushi wrap place there. It's vegeterarian so there's not actually any fish in it. I'm not really a fan of sushi but I thought it tasted delicious!

26 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Know the little area with all the trees and picnic benches before the main stage? There's a sushi wrap place there. It's vegeterarian so there's not actually any fish in it. I'm not really a fan of sushi but I thought it tasted delicious!

I walked past it and was intrigued, might try it out next week!

29 minutes ago, deadpheasant said:

I walked past it and was intrigued, might try it out next week!

Do it. I think they cost £7.50 but I'd say that's not too bad considering they're freshly made and about a foot long.

Someone here mentioned some Bao food stalls but I never found them. Anyone know whereabouts those were?

16 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Do it. I think they cost £7.50 but I'd say that's not too bad considering they're freshly made and about a foot long.

Someone here mentioned some Bao food stalls but I never found them. Anyone know whereabouts those were?

The Bao stall was pretty much next to the Grilled Cheese place, it was about 3 down from the sushi place in a little white truck. I had pizza, halloumi fries, vegan curry, and some mac and cheese, all really tasty but a touch overpriced. 

Edit: actually I may be lying, but basically down on the left hand side somewhere between Firestone and the big daft Samsung viewing tower thing. 

Edited by Matt - Ed Banger Records

41 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Yeah I saw the stall, didn't look too bad think it was 8 or 9 for 2 baos.

28 minutes ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

I had pizza, halloumi fries, vegan curry, and some mac and cheese, all really tasty but a touch overpriced. 

contemplated the halloumi fries but it looked as if they gave you a tiny portion.

I had a great day on Friday too. LCD and YYYs was a dream. Superorganism and Confidence Man were both a lot of fun too. Saw most of Glass Animals too but didn't think much of them and they didn't suit such a big stage imo. Despacio tent was so loud and such a cool vibe.

I'd defo go back next year if I can get a cheaper ticket again. Really struggling to think of potential headliners though. This could end up being Arcade Fire's level in future although I doubt they'll be around next summer. Foals? Bon Iver? Tame Impala? Lana Del Rey? Jack White?

Finding it kinda hard to guess cos in my mind Nick Cave is way bigger than Bjork (I could be way off here) so I don't really know what level an act needs to be at. Should probably let this year's event pass though before making predictions for next time anyway haha.

6 minutes ago, Odessa said:

I had a great day on Friday too. LCD and YYYs was a dream. Superorganism and Confidence Man were both a lot of fun too. Saw most of Glass Animals too but didn't think much of them and they didn't suit such a big stage imo. Despacio tent was so loud and such a cool vibe.

I'd defo go back next year if I can get a cheaper ticket again. Really struggling to think of potential headliners though. This could end up being Arcade Fire's level in future although I doubt they'll be around next summer. Foals? Bon Iver? Tame Impala? Lana Del Rey? Jack White?

Finding it kinda hard to guess cos in my mind Nick Cave is way bigger than Bjork (I could be way off here) so I don't really know what level an act needs to be at. Should probably let this year's event pass though before making predictions for next time anyway haha.

I’d really like to see Kraftwerk do this. Chances that it’ll actually happen are quite low, I’d imagine.

53 minutes ago, Odessa said:

As well as those suggested, I think Vampire Weekend are a good shout. Maybe Sigur Ros or The Black Keys too if they're active again.

I’ve had a corker of a long weekend, nothing about the festival I could complain about if I tried. Friday was a dream line up for me catching Confidence Man - Young Fathers - Glass Animals -  Hot Chip DJ set - LCD Soundsystem. Should have gone easy on the rum though as I was a state by the end. Easy as pie to bring booze in, had a bottle of rum dechanted into a plastic pouch in my coat pocket and folded my coat up in my bag, security gave it a squeeze each day and that was it. Saturday morning was a right off due to over excess for me but Lorde was incredible when I got back on my feet. Yesterday was again brilliant with Sylvan Esso - Django Django - Friendly Fires - Beck - Björk. The bar queues were none existent in my opinion, never really queued just went to the section with the least people. One bartender even gave my girlfriend a free vodka when he had to break the news to her that they had run out of Old Mount Cider. We got so lucky with the weather, those thunder storms in the horizon would not have been welcome overhead, great atmosphere add on for Björk though!

1 hour ago, Odessa said:

The second weekend acts are bigger than the first, which goes with them not being packaged together for a weekend ticket. They're also more rockier. So I'd say the likes of Arcade Fire whenever they're back would be APE Presents, and The Strokes too but that's not a prediction just an example.

Vampire Weekend are a clear shout. They're bound to be about for Primavera and booked by AEG for Coachella (I think a few acts could be package-booked like that). Frank Ocean seems a decent possibility too if he's at work on new material/staircases.

22 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

As well as those suggested, I think Vampire Weekend are a good shout. Maybe Sigur Ros or The Black Keys too if they're active again.

Sigur Ros should be active but I could only see them subbing. If they agree to play in the light ever again of course. Interpol as a sub too.

44 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Sigur Ros should be active but I could only see them subbing. If they agree to play in the light ever again of course. Interpol as a sub too.

APE headliners play almost entirely in darkness tbf as it's still early in the year. Even Lorde was finishing in near darkness on Saturday. That alone is a major advantage this fest has over other London ones. 

Edit wait I misread that. Ignore this post. They'd headline anyway, did at citadel a couple years ago. But I only think they'll be back at Vicky Park so soon if they've got the big band show together again. 

Edited by Mash011

It's been a great festival so far. 

Missed superorganism on Friday which I was pretty gutted about but Hookworms and Chromeo were nice finds. Young Father's were as solid as ever. And LCD and yeah yeah yeahs were both 10/10. I expected that of LCD but YYYs blew me away. Despacio was bloody ace as well, take a bow James Murphy. 

Sunday was not quite as good as itt didn't have quite the stand out performances of Friday but Django Django, flying lotus and beck were all enjoyable and well, Bjork is one for the bucket list. 

Can't wait for Nick Cave now! 

It was a good festival. Went Friday and Sunday. Compared to previous Field Days there I thought It was mellower, fewer people talking through sets (except Bjork) and great sound. 

Down side was the quite limited lineup with whole stages devoted to people just playing records. Nothing of note on until Superorganism and Hookworms and the Young Fathers (who overlapped) then nothing for a few hours. Same Sunday nothing till Django Django and nothing after until Father John and lots of running about after due to short gaps between him, Beck and Bjork. 

Incredible day yesterday!

Thought Bjork was incredible. Arisen my senses, Losss and Sue Me sounded great. Saint in particular was amazing in terms of the new songs - the flutes with the glitter flying across the stage was so beautiful. 

Did not expect to hear Isobel or Human Behaviour which was amazing! Could have done with a couple of songs from Homogenic and/or Vespertine but oh well!