All Points East Festival 2018

finn_with_1_n

Am going to the National and Cave days, can't say I ever worry too much about atmosphere at festival gigs, it's going to be a mixed bag isn't it.  Excuse my ignorance - are there any of the "undercard" bands on the Cave day that would be recommended - I might just get there in time for Nadine Shah, or Baxter Dury at 5pm. 

On The National's day, I think the first band I want to see is PSB at 4pm. 

Is there merit in having a few cans in London Fields prior to walking over to the site, or are there better places nearer it?  The rest of Victoria Park itself might be really crowded?  I'm actually pretty sure there's a fancy rooftop bar near London Fields?  Any tips appreciated. 

Would also be happy to hear about any parties or good club nights on the Fridy or Saturday night in East London.  Is the dirty Dolphin pub still worth a visit :-) ?

Hope everybody going this weekend has a great time.  YYYs should be special.  Phoenix too - thier "career" seems to have taken an odd turn (they seem less popular, or is that just me?) - but they're a great live band.  Wonder if they will bring those huge mirrors...

Edited by Johndenis
  • Upvote 1

If anyone is going this Friday can they report back on how strict they are on bag sizes. My bag is marginally longer than that “allowed” but I’ve never had any problems with it before. I’m a bit spooked as I heard there were some bag issues at the Stones gig.

19 hours ago, Johndenis said:

Am going to the National and Cave days, can't say I ever worry too much about atmosphere at festival gigs, it's going to be a mixed bag isn't it.  Excuse my ignorance - are there any of the "undercard" bands on the Cave day that would be recommended - I might just get there in time for Nadine Shah, or Baxter Dury at 5pm. 

On The National's day, I think the first band I want to see is PSB at 4pm. 

Is there merit in having a few cans in London Fields prior to walking over to the site, or are there better places nearer it?  The rest of Victoria Park itself might be really crowded?  I'm actually pretty sure there's a fancy rooftop bar near London Fields?  Any tips appreciated. 

Would also be happy to hear about any parties or good club nights on the Fridy or Saturday night in East London.  Is the dirty Dolphin pub still worth a visit :-) ?

Hope everybody going this weekend has a great time.  YYYs should be special.  Phoenix too - thier "career" seems to have taken an odd turn (they seem less popular, or is that just me?) - but they're a great live band.  Wonder if they will bring those huge mirrors...

There are quite a few things worth checking out on Nick’s day. Depends what you’re into I suppose. Richard Strange is a 70’s punk singer from Doctors of Madness, might be of interest if you like Baxter’s dad. Post punk from Yak and Bo Ningen, pop infused country from Jade Bird and The Magic Gang are the anthemic indie types who stick out on this line up like a sore thumb, but they’re cool. Alternatively there’s the small stages where it’ll be a lot more sparse and you can discover something.

The National seems to have a lot less going for it before a certain time because I don’t think the line up is complete yet. Rostam you might know from Vampire Weekend, and alternatively there’s folky lass This Is the Kit who’s supported The National a bunch already.

20 hours ago, Johndenis said:

Excuse my ignorance - are there any of the "undercard" bands on the Cave day that would be recommended

Definitely worth checking out Shame.  Probably my favorite album of 2018 to date, saw them live a month or so ago - and already got tx to see them again in November.  YAK are also great live.

On The National day, the unexpected bonus for me was Broken Social Scene.  Don't really know their music, but saw them at EOTR a couple of years ago, and always wanted to see them again.

3 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

As really should've been expected I've been ripped off by a resale site and now don't have a ticket for tomorrow. Drop us a message if anyone's got a cheap spare going fellas.

Oosh. What happened?

https://www.theo2.co.uk/home/all-points-east Over here's a contest for 2 tickets to any date that went up 2 days ago and finishes at some point today. Looks to me a lot like they're dumping leftover tickets much like we've seen with BST in the past, worth entering if anyone's like me still not sorted.

Edited by Mash011
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

https://www.theo2.co.uk/home/all-points-east Over here's a contest for 2 tickets to any date that went up yesterday and finishes at some point today. Looks to me a lot like they're dumping leftover tickets much like we've seen with BST in the past, worth entering if anyone's like me still not sorted.

I put Picasso as my favourite artist.

56 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Bought a Friday+Saturday ticket and they only had a Saturday ticket. Waited until yesterday to send em, naturally. Got half the price refunded but it's still a pain in the arse.

Stitch up. Ah well, good luck w/ the rest.

8 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Anyone got any experience of FlyLo's 3D set? How does it work? I'm guessing they don't hand out 3D glasses to everyone...

I saw a FlyLo 3D set at Lovebox a number of years ago, so I assume he has changed it since then, but that was 2 light walls in front of each other with him in the middle of those, I'm guessing the 2 screens provide some kind of visual effect? I was both too gillespied and at the wrong angle to really notice.