All Points East Festival 2018

finn_with_1_n

10 hours ago, popcornmaster said:

Presumably, they have to match the same licence criteria that Field Day & Lovebox did on the same site?

Field Day had plenty of dogs just after the turnstiles aimed at the punters walking in and being walked towards those that their handler's had profiled. 

So are you saying if you look dodgy you are in trouble or going at entry time say 2pm Friday is not as smart as going when it’s busy? 

8 hours ago, mpdow2 said:

So are you saying if you look dodgy you are in trouble or going at entry time say 2pm Friday is not as smart as going when it’s busy? 

If you happen to be taking things in, just take usual precautions, the dogs operate on a rotation anyway, I’ve walked through when there’s been 1 dog and about 15 queues filing through the gates. In the old Field Day days you had about 3 dogs to 5 queues, so it’s a lot easier now than it was 10 years ago. 

8 hours ago, mpdow2 said:

Bluntly put, yeah. The stewards and handlers definitely work together to identify people who they think will be more likely to be carrying.

In terms of timing, I reckon it's always going to be the luck of the draw. Busyness has its pros & cons. My mate managed to slip past whilst a dog was occupied last year. 

5 minutes ago, idlewill said:

Hi - 

Apologies if it's been asked but does anyone know if the 3-day tickets are 3 x separate tickets or is it a wristband jobbie?

We need to split who's going on different days but would be cheaper to buy 3 x days.

Cheers

Yeah you get 3x separate tickets. One for each day

38 minutes ago, popcornmaster said:

Bluntly put, yeah. The stewards and handlers definitely work together to identify people who they think will be more likely to be carrying.

In terms of timing, I reckon it's always going to be the luck of the draw. Busyness has its pros & cons. My mate managed to slip past whilst a dog was occupied last year. 

Thanks for advice. Would much prefer if they had real dogs who were trained to target dealers rather then fake dogs who get directed by handlers. Without being sexist sounds like getting a female to take it in may be smarter (ie automatically look less dodgy).

2 minutes ago, mpdow2 said:

Thanks for advice. Would much prefer if they had real dogs who were trained to target dealers rather then fake dogs who get directed by handlers. Without being sexist sounds like getting a female to take it in may be smarter (ie automatically look less dodgy).

No worries. I'm sure the dogs play a real part in it but they say their nose only stay potent for 30 mins or so, so it's definitely also a dance between dog & man.

I can't speak for passing to women. Gut feeling would say you're probably right but I've nothing to really back that up. 

22 minutes ago, popcornmaster said:

No worries. I'm sure the dogs play a real part in it but they say their nose only stay potent for 30 mins or so, so it's definitely also a dance between dog & man.

I can't speak for passing to women. Gut feeling would say you're probably right but I've nothing to really back that up. 

Does anyone know if they do strip searches in case a dog signals? 

34 minutes ago, mpdow2 said:

bull-dog-mascot-costume.jpg

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, mpdow2 said:

Yes, this happens before entry. A man will signal you over to a small hut near the park entrance, where you will be throughly stripped and searched and then you will be given a stamp of approval and patted on your way into the festival. 

31 minutes ago, mpdow2 said:

I know of someone who got pulled aside and searched down to his boxers going into Field Day a couple of years ago.

On this topic, this is a good read:

http://www.urban75.org/blog/festival-security-drug-searches-and-your-safety-an-insiders-guide-2018-update/

Includes this:

"If you are searched, it must be compliant and based around surface area only – they cannot go under clothing to search. They are allowed to ask you to remove a coat/jacket/jumper, but that’s it."

... which seems inconsistent with actual experiences, including the one I've just mentioned.

1 hour ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

I know of someone who got pulled aside and searched down to his boxers going into Field Day a couple of years ago.

On this topic, this is a good read:

http://www.urban75.org/blog/festival-security-drug-searches-and-your-safety-an-insiders-guide-2018-update/

Includes this:

"If you are searched, it must be compliant and based around surface area only – they cannot go under clothing to search. They are allowed to ask you to remove a coat/jacket/jumper, but that’s it."

... which seems inconsistent with actual experiences, including the one I've just mentioned.

that's interesting. on the other hand although they cannot do certain things by rule of law as above, my guess would be if you tried to invoke your rights here i.e not comply with what they wanted you to do, then they would not be granting you access.

Seems like a lose-lose situation. They would probably just say if you're not willing to consent to be searched then we have the right to deny entry, regardless of how thoroughly or not they wanted to or are allowed to search you.

Edited by Memory Man

3 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

Seems like a lose-lose situation. They would probably just say if you're not willing to consent to be searched then we have the right to deny entry, regardless of how thoroughly or not they wanted to or are allowed to search you.

This.

They basically have to have your permission to search you in that detail. If you don't give you permission they can refuse you entry. It's the same as searching bags going into events etc. They can't force search you but they can make it mandatory for entry.

4 minutes ago, The Clearest Blue said:

I'm looking forward to this a lot, weather is looking decent, the line up is amazing, my only concern is with this being an inner city festival with no camping that hasn't sold out it may lack atmosphere.

It will be OK I  think, but much like any London festival you will have to find the right pockets of crowd to go into. I have some had some great experiences at these sort of events, but also have been stuck in the middle of a load of people not arsed about who is playing and just chatting.  The demographic they seem to have aimed it towards will probably have an even split of serious music fans and your typical London idiots.

2 minutes ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

It will be OK I  think, but much like any London festival you will have to find the right pockets of crowd to go into. I have some had some great experiences at these sort of events, but also have been stuck in the middle of a load of people not arsed about who is playing and just chatting.  The demographic they seem to have aimed it towards will probably have an even split of serious music fans and your typical London idiots.

Yeah this makes sense, I'll try to scope out the best parts of the crowd, not too worrying about being in a good part of the group for LCD as one of the mates I'm going with is there biggest fan and will create an atmosphere himself haha. More for Lorde and The XX as more mainstream acts these are likely to pull in more casual fans than will just stand there a nod along as I'm trying to get my dance on to Supercut!

I've found if you end up in a bit of crowd thats dead, its pretty easy to manoeuvre around and find a decent spot. We had a terrible place for LCD last time with some knobbers just talking through the first track, so we moved in a bit infront of the sound desk and found some other people who were going suitably mental.

34 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

well it will lack atmosphere, that's a given to be honest for a london day festival.

i predict teething problems on the friday that will be rectified by the Saturday and Sunday

Wow, was about to write the same thing. 

Yes, I bet you there are some major cock ups on the Friday.

I'm going to the Presents gig on the Catfish day, although there are some bands on there I like, the festival seems to be really badly organized which makes me feel less and less excited.

All of the bands on the main stage have a massive 40 minute changeover yet the first bands on the North stage don't have any sort of break between the bands, five playing back to back - surely that isn't going to work?