All Points East Festival 2018

finn_with_1_n

On 09/04/2018 at 1:13 PM, jr1312 said:

I really don't know what world you're living in where you think security shouldn't have the right to search you. Have you been through an airport recently?

Being searched, going through metal detectors and search dogs are an everyday part of life and not just in the festival world. Festivals are high density, high profile events and the security are there to stop weapons, terrorist threats and drug use (which would jeopardise the licence). If you're not willing to be searched then don't come

Hmm, no. body searches, metal detectors, and airport security is NOT something that is part of everyday life, not something I paid for when I am going to see a concert, and not something I have ever seen in other countries except some parts of USA. Large UK venues abuse this by annoying people who bring cameras, recorders, and other things that are neither dangerous or illegal, and that's why I have no interest in going to these big festival shows. If they want to look for crime, then just let Police do that.

Edited by emmanuel
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, emmanuel said:

Hmm, no. body searches, metal detectors, and airport security is NOT something that is part of everyday life, not something I paid for when I am going to see a concert, and not something I have ever seen in other countries except some parts of USA. Large UK venues abuse this by annoying people who bring cameras, recorders, and other things that are neither dangerous or illegal, and that's why I have no interest in going to these big festival shows. If they want to look for crime, then just let Police do that.

Human beings like to bring drugs to concerts, nightclubs and festivals. Body searches are a way of limiting this and absolutely a normal daily part of that experience in the UK and have been for donkey's years.

In some very high profile places they are worried about guns/bombs, especially given the risk of terrorism and they have scanners you walk through (though I very much doubt All Points East will have scanners, for what it's worth).

Professional cameras are not dangerous or illegal but can be used to capture footage of events that can theoretically be resold without the permission of the artist. And it's massively annoying to be enjoying a gig and have a constant click-click next to your ear from a professional camera or to have your view blocked by a large camera.

It completely baffles me that you seemingly are not aware of any of this.

• Upvote 1

On 10/04/2018 at 7:55 PM, kingcrawler said:

https://www.festaff.co.uk/festival-info

Don’t know too much about it but I saw that festaff are looking for people to work this and your shift would finish before the headliners, could be of interest to anyone not too fussed about the undercard.

Signed up for this for Bjork and Nick Cave days! A 10-6 day supposedly so should get maybe 3 acts in tops. As you say, handy for those who can sacrifice a bit of the undercard; it's why I'm holding out for LCD and The National cheap tickets instead.

11 hours ago, lighthouse said:

Those were just dress rehearsals. It's normal that artists only play new material in shows like that. 

I'm guessing we'll get a setlist similar to the festival sets she did last year, but with less Vulnicura and more Utopia:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bjork/2017/naeba-ski-resort-yuzawa-japan-7be5e634.html

I'm really curious about the Utopia songs though. 

If she plays Mouth's Cradle I'll be happy.

6 minutes ago, tjamest said:

When she played Bestival a few years ago as far as i remember most of her set was from Biophillia which wasn't released for another month. Most exiting bit was when a flaming chinese lantern just missed her and landed on the stage.

I think she'll play too much of Utopia a lot of her audience will head elsewhere.

A festival is not the place to play too much of your new album that most of the crowd haven't heard.

5 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Nah, not necessarily. Saw PJ Harvey doing exact the same thing 2 years ago. At a festival. The crowd stayed and she may have played the best set of the weekend. 

You’re right I’ve overstated it but still not a fair comparison IMO.

PJ Harvey’s material is way more engagable for most people.

Mark for words, a lot of people will be up for seeing Bjork but will get sick of the flutes and the avant garde nature of her show especially after being at the site since the afternoon.

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

I think she'll play too much of Utopia a lot of her audience will head elsewhere.

A festival is not the place to play too much of your new album that most of the crowd haven't heard.

I've seen her three times, twice at festivals, and she played mostly from her current album at the time. I'd love to see a hits set but it has never happened for me.

6 hours ago, xxialac said:

You’re right I’ve overstated it but still not a fair comparison IMO.

PJ Harvey’s material is way more engagable for most people.

Mark for words, a lot of people will be up for seeing Bjork but will get sick of the flutes and the avant garde nature of her show especially after being at the site since the afternoon.

In fairness, anyone going on the day to see Bjork is likely to be a fan, so why wouldn't they have already heard the album? And everyone that is a fan of hers knows what she is like when she plays live? If that surprises anyone, well that's not her fault.  

5 minutes ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

In fairness, anyone going on the day to see Bjork is likely to be a fan, so why wouldn't they have already heard the album? And everyone that is a fan of hers knows what she is like when she plays live? If that surprises anyone, well that's not her fault.  

I don't agree. There's Beck and loads of others playing.  There are an awful lot of people who are 'curious' about Bjork and like her earlier more relatable work but won't have got round to listening to her new album or simply want to cross her off their list of acts to see. And some will have bought 3 day tickets.

The point I'm making is not that she shouldn't play a full new difficult album set live - it's that a festival is not the place to do it.

10 hours ago, xxialac said:

The point I'm making is not that she shouldn't play a full new difficult album set live - it's that a festival is not the place to do it.

After seeing Bjork many times over her career, I wouldn’t hold out for a Debut album tour anytime soon. 

Bjork will do what she always does on her tours, play the new album heavily with a very select number of other tracks.

A festival is exactly the place to do it. 

I expect that anyone with even the briefest of interest in Bjork will know that she's more artist than entertainer, and that going along to see her is more for the spectacle than belting out singalongs. And a fest is a chance to do that with other acts to see beforehand and not paying eye-watering amounts for such a show.

I'm hoping there are some more names and stage splits about to be announced for the APE Presents gigs. Seems too close to not know who you'll be able to see aside from the headliners. Same goes for the festival - some clash fears need to be resolved and stages filled out there.

Edited by dentalplan

12 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I expect that anyone with even the briefest of interest in Bjork will know that she's more artist than entertainer, and that going along to see her is more for the spectacle than belting out singalongs. And a fest is a chance to do that with other acts to see beforehand and not paying eye-watering amounts for such a show.

I'm hoping there are some more names and stage splits about to be announced for the APE Presents gigs. Seems too close to not know who you'll be able to see aside from the headliners. Same goes for the festival - some clash fears need to be resolved and stages filled out there.

I doubt Bjork chose to play a festival as opposed to a solo gig so that her fans could save money.

For me, if you want to play a 'tricky' new album, you do that at your own gig. If you want to play a festival, you should play your new songs but also play more of your recognised songs - not necessarily 'greatest hits' but reasonable to expect Bjork to play some of Hyperballad, Joga, Isobel, Human Behaviour, Hunter,  Bachelorette, Violently Happy, Army of Me, Possibly Maybe etc.

I bet she plays one or two of those at most...

5 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I doubt Bjork chose to play a festival as opposed to a solo gig so that her fans could save money.

For me, if you want to play a 'tricky' new album, you do that at your own gig. If you want to play a festival, you should play your new songs but also play more of your recognised songs - not necessarily 'greatest hits' but reasonable to expect Bjork to play some of Hyperballad, Joga, Isobel, Human Behaviour, Hunter,  Bachelorette, Violently Happy, Army of Me, Possibly Maybe etc.

I bet she plays one or two of those at most...

I doubt she chose to play a festival to win over peeps who don't give a toss about the last twenty years of her music either.

Edited by dentalplan

20 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I doubt she chose to play a festival to win over peeps who don't give a toss about the last twenty years of her music either.

That's a straw man argument. It's possible to be interested in her music of the last twenty years and still be even keener to hear the earlier songs that frankly were much more popular. Her period of 20 years go is also widely considered as her best output - reasonable to expect her to play a reasonable portion of music from that era at a music festival?

Edited by xxialac

4 minutes ago, xxialac said:

That's a straw man argument. It's possible to be interested in the music of the last twenty years and still be interested to hear the songs that frankly were much more popular and. Her period of 20 years go is also widely considered as the time of her best output - reasonable to expect her to play a reasonable portion of music from that era at a music festival?

And that 'saving fans money' thing wasn't? :rolleyes:

Anyway you've just said it yourself. She was much more popular twenty years ago when she was regularly playing more celebrated songs that were new around that time. Now she's less popular, but she's invested in putting on a show centred around what she's putting out now and using visuals and stage setups from celebrated artists.

Besides, it's not even like she does do an entire new album set. Seems to do roughly half off a new album and then others including the songs you mentioned up the page.

22 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

And that 'saving fans money' thing wasn't? :rolleyes:

Anyway you've just said it yourself. She was much more popular twenty years ago when she was regularly playing more celebrated songs that were new around that time. Now she's less popular, but she's invested in putting on a show centred around what she's putting out now and using visuals and stage setups from celebrated artists.

Besides, it's not even like she does do an entire new album set. Seems to do roughly half off a new album and then others including the songs you mentioned up the page.

Ok, some good points. I still look to someone like Radiohead and they play a balanced set when they play festivals. Her set is far too geared to her most recent album and I fully expect a lukewarm reaction when she plays and a lot of chattering among people who lose interest as it becomes apparent it will be an arty set lacking in more recognisable songs.