All Points East Festival 2018

finn_with_1_n

1 hour ago, Tommy101 said:

I understand that businesses need to make money but don't understand why it isn't built into the ticket price.

Presumably because the two things are set by different people? The ticket by the promoter/venue, the fees by the ticket agency. 

This is a bit of a guess, I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong :P  

2 hours ago, MattDavies__ said:

No booking fees? I think that was fairly obviously always the case. The real beauty of the app is the technology being used in an actually useful way for once 

Wasn't the point that they would have fewer overheads - no printing, more automation so fewer employees, customer service - so this would be reflected in the booking fees? "Run by fans for fans," and all that.

31 minutes ago, craigb said:

Affiliate fees come out of the booking fees. So when you click links on eFestivals when booking gigs and festivals some of the booking fee kicks back. Not a lot mind! So you are just not supporting the primary ticket seller you are supporting websites like this. 

I didn't know that, and to some extent is logical. Every day is a school day.

1 hour ago, Tuna said:

Wasn't the point that they would have fewer overheads - no printing, more automation so fewer employees, customer service - so this would be reflected in the booking fees? "Run by fans for fans," and all that.

Possibly, though I can't imagine they realistically thought they'd be able to do no booking fees for ever. It is often still cheaper than other outlets. And I think that mantra is still reflected in the other things they do- the waiting list system, for example 

20 minutes ago, MattDavies__ said:

Possibly, though I can't imagine they realistically thought they'd be able to do no booking fees for ever. It is often still cheaper than other outlets. And I think that mantra is still reflected in the other things they do- the waiting list system, for example 

Yeah the initial idea was definitely to use investment to run fee-free for a limited time and build other aspects to get people passionate about the success of their business, and that's worked so far. And with enough people using their platform, they could monetise things like attendance data for use by promoters and agencies and then use that to pay their staff and overheads. 

I don't think they've turned fees back on anyway; I've only noticed it for Academy type gigs and of course festivals like this (however that was the case in the past with some festivals anyway) so I think they might still be able to skate along a bit further with VC backing. Even when/if they do have to, I'll still be checking DICE before anything else because of all the other features like you mentioned.

Talking of DICE, @James96 there are now Fri+Sun tickets on there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah the initial idea was definitely to use investment to run fee-free for a limited time and build other aspects to get people passionate about the success of their business, and that's worked so far. And with enough people using their platform, they could monetise things like attendance data for use by promoters and agencies and then use that to pay their staff and overheads. 

I don't think they've turned fees back on anyway; I've only noticed it for Academy type gigs and of course festivals like this (however that was the case in the past with some festivals anyway) so I think they might still be able to skate along a bit further with VC backing. Even when/if they do have to, I'll still be checking DICE before anything else because of all the other features like you mentioned.

Talking of DICE, @James96 there are now Fri+Sun tickets on there.

Thanks for the heads up!

59 minutes ago, MattDavies__ said:

No booking fees - sure, that's understandable. Lessened, though, re: my previous post, seemed like what they were pitching for. Although if what @dentalplan says about them not being present on the vast majority of gigs, this conversation is somewhat moot until we get more information. 

Edited by Tuna

1 hour ago, Zac Quinn said:

Don't check efests for 48 hours and somewhere announces this line-up oh my god. If only Bjork and LCD swapped days I'd be at the Sunday in a heartbeat. Was expecting both Beck and LCD to be at Latitude so no idea who'll do that now.

y u no like bork man?

As much as I'd love to buy tickets for all days of this, hanging fire since I don't have the mullah.

I also think that I have previous engagements on the Sunday of the first week, which would rule out Bjork, the only headliner I've not seen - fingers crossed she has her own show around it somewhere up North.

The LCD and The National bills are the best stacked for good acts for me - but in the case of the latter, I've seen The War on Drugs and Future Islands before (would love to see them again but trying to rationalise seeing new artists in my spending habits).

Conversely, I made the clanger of skipping Phoenix at Glasto this year and missed the Yeah Yeah Yeahs four years ago to catch a Thin Lizzy tribute band of all things in Leeds (Limehouse Lizzy who, no word of a lie, were genuinely brilliant, so my regret is limited there).

Assuming Nick Cave gets his own day, are we thinking a similar bill to the Ireland one? Him and Patti Smith banged up together for sixty-five quid has got to be in the region of a close sell-out.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Just picked up a Friday ticket to go with the National ticket I already had. Seen LCD loads of times but I'm more excited by the prospect of seeing the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

I may go back in for a Bjork ticket at a later date.

How did you get one early? Sorry if that's a ridiculously dense question - i'm a bit out of the loop :lol: