Field Day 2018

Guy Incognito

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, WoodyGooner said:

I wonder how well tickets have sold? Looking forward to it, but I was hoping for more of a headliner for Saturday

I'm going. I don't think it's a line-up that will excite too many people compared to Lovebox, but hey - at least it's local.

I am glad there is a cider bar :D

If anyone is going can you please comment on the ground condition, and whether canvas shoes/trainers will be ok? I'm assuming it'll be ok but there has been a lot of rain the past week...

Also if anybody is going to Herne Hill station afterwards and could say how busy it is that would be great as well.

Aside from that...enjoy the day :drinks:

It sounds like there is an overzealous and inconsistent security team in place....the rule is surely there to stop people taking absolutely massive bags in, not people with reasonably sized rucksacks even if they are still larger than A4.

Turning people away for having a normal backpack is pretty disgraceful, even if it was advertised beforehand.

4 hours ago, Sean1234321 said:

It sounds like there is an overzealous and inconsistent security team in place....the rule is surely there to stop people taking absolutely massive bags in, not people with reasonably sized rucksacks even if they are still larger than A4.

Turning people away for having a normal backpack is pretty disgraceful, even if it was advertised beforehand.

I totally agree. Also on a Friday people will be coming from work so will have bags on them. Its hard to fit much in an A4 size backpack so whats the point in bringing one

I can't believe how small the barn is...i couldn't go last year but pictures I saw made it look absolutely massive...well this one is tiny and even inside the sound desk seems to take up half of the floor space. 

I will reserve judgement for when I actually see someone in there later, but I'm very disappointed initially! 

3 minutes ago, Sean1234321 said:

Sounds like an absolute farce during Four Tet...some very unhappy people on twitter.

Chose to see Fever Ray as I foresaw the problems at the barn stage and glad I did as she was fantastic. 

Was an absolute mess, ridiculously crowded but what do you expect when you put a very popular artist up against absolutely nothing on the main stage - shocking organisational ineptitude... Saying that, what Four Tet did do was pretty excellent 

11 minutes ago, Peanut butter vibes said:

Was an absolute mess, ridiculously crowded but what do you expect when you put a very popular artist up against absolutely nothing on the main stage - shocking organisational ineptitude... Saying that, what Four Tet did do was pretty excellent 

Did he play in the end? We got there just as Floating Points finished and got a good spot, then it got paused so ended up going to Daniel Avery who was amazing anyway, also bumped into @Matt42 outside but he was in a hurry to go get ravey, so apols for accosting you Matt! Had a good time but felt far too busy, which given how it didn’t sell out is a worry tbh. 

4 minutes ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

Did he play in the end? We got there just as Floating Points finished and got a good spot, then it got paused so ended up going to Daniel Avery who was amazing anyway, also bumped into @Matt42 outside but he was in a hurry to go get ravey, so apols for accosting you Matt! Had a good time but felt far too busy, which given how it didn’t sell out is a worry tbh. 

Yeah he did maybe another 25 minutes of the set before being cut off at half 10. Wish we’d bailed early but had a great spot so were reluctant to go anywhere! Seeing Four Tet again next week in Manchester so not hugely disappointed, good day all in all 

I thought the barn was the only place that seemed really crowded....the rest of the site just felt like a normal festival in regards to the crowd size.

I had no trouble getting in to any of the other tents, even for Fever Ray, and the main outdoor stage was obviously completely fine - although I am one of these people who like to get in place a good ten minutes or so before an act starts so I can't speak for what it was like turning up once a set had started.

I found there were minimal queues for any of the bars or toilets so there was no problem there.

The barn was too small and the 2 or 3 exits/entrances were an absolute shambles, they are lucky there weren't any injuries or god forbid anything worse.

The thing is I could predict exactly what it would be like just from seeing it myself quickly when I turned up at midday, so how many people involved with the event must have had the same thought during the preceding days?

They could quite easily have had a rethink and had a designated exit and a designated entry that was completely overseen by the security team  - yes it would have been a pain in the arse for everybody but it could have been the best and safest idea at such short notice.

These are supposed to be experienced events organisers, and it is very poor that the decision was quite obviously made to put profits before safety.

All in all they have quite simply got away with one, and I hope they learn from this for next year (I fully expect the barn to be scrapped though!).