British Summer Time 2018

Rose-Colored Boy

8 minutes ago, RyanS said:

But if they DO show the football, then everyone will be turning up when doors open so it'll just be the same situation anyway.

Either 70k people turn up at 1.30pm or 50% don't turn up until 6pm.

My experience with Hyde Park tells me they won't be able to deal with that many people on site so much earlier than normal.

But they're not showing the football.

This is annoying as I reckon getting in withoin 30 mins of the game ending to catch all of Goldrapp is going to be problematic!

9 minutes ago, RyanS said:

But if they DO show the football, then everyone will be turning up when doors open so it'll just be the same situation anyway.

Either 70k people turn up at 1.30pm or 50% don't turn up until 6pm.

My experience with Hyde Park tells me they won't be able to deal with that many people on site so much earlier than normal.

That's a valid point. 

Oh well, i'll just watch the football in a pub nearby then go over after it's finished. 

2 minutes ago, mr flow said:

That's a valid point. 

Oh well, i'll just watch the football in a pub nearby then go over after it's finished. 

Ha!

Yeah, I'm looking at the same. Still can't quite bite the bullet and get a ticket you though. Might see if they get any cheaper first. Lowest I've seen now is £50.

7 minutes ago, Homer said:

Ha!

Yeah, I'm looking at the same. Still can't quite bite the bullet and get a ticket you though. Might see if they get any cheaper first. Lowest I've seen now is £50.

We've got a priority entry ticket for sale, as one of our group bought it by mistake, but can't see there being a huge clamber to go in early if the football isn't on!

Where have you looked at watching the football? Wondering if the pubs around Hyde Park will be rammed, and it better to watch around Victoria and head over from there?:dontknow:

5 minutes ago, mr flow said:

We've got a priority entry ticket for sale, as one of our group bought it by mistake, but can't see there being a huge clamber to go in early if the football isn't on!

Where have you looked at watching the football? Wondering if the pubs around Hyde Park will be rammed, and it better to watch around Victoria and head over from there?:dontknow:

My mate who works near there recommended the Three Tuns. I will probably try and get in there as I want to make a mad dash for Goldfrapp!

2 hours ago, Homer said:

I'd recommend doing it this way around. Ride generally kick off their sets with their newer, not so good material and then finish on a run of their older, better stuff (like Vapour Trail). Th Cure will no doubt kick off their set with some 10 minute slowburn album track from the early 80s (or suchlike) featuring a lot of feedback and wailing. 

I saw Ride last summer so not overly fussed. Also, I am ALL about the feedback and wailing! Ha

6 hours ago, evilduck said:

It's on early though isn't it? Not sure why its such a problem to watch it first, then go to the gig. You'll likely only have missed the first three or so bands of the day. I'm selfishly glad they aren't showing it, not sure where they would put a screen that wouldn't be a distraction to any of the stages.

Because the best bands - Slowdive and Twilight Sad are on when they are. Slowdive offered to play with it on the big screen. That would be the best of both worlds. 

Let’s hope the 4g is working overtime on Saturday. 

• Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, Declan said:

Because the best bands - Slowdive and Twilight Sad are on when they are. Slowdive offered to play with it on the big screen. That would be the best of both worlds. 

Let’s hope the 4g is working overtime on Saturday. 

That’s not exactly fair on people who would like to watch Slowdive without 60,000 people shouting over the top of the music about the football match.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

50 minutes ago, RyanS said:

That’s not exactly fair on people who would like to watch Slowdive without 60,000 people shouting over the top of the music about the football match.

Whatever happens will be unfair on someone. I imagine those not bothered at all about Slowdive would go to a pub. Those not bothered by the football would watch the band. Those who like both will listen to the band and watch the match.

1 hour ago, Declan said:

Whatever happens will be unfair on someone. I imagine those not bothered at all about Slowdive would go to a pub. Those not bothered by the football would watch the band. Those who like both will listen to the band and watch the match.

You seem to be taking the suggestion of them playing in front of a backdrop of the match too seriously.

17 hours ago, evilduck said:

From what I can see the bar staff are all paid, its the wristband and entry staff that are volunteers. I hope its not another Finsbury Park situation!

The bar staff at Hyde Park is paid but the Volunteers at Finsbury park working the bars are not paid but what you have to appreciate is the Volunteers at Finsbury park ' did not pay a deposit ' - I suspect next year they will.

the wristband and entry staff are volunteers at Hyde Park ' but they have paid a deposit ' so if they fail to show up - they lose their deposit.

I wont know the full story for another week but I strongly suspect the balls up was caused by New Teams { by new - I mean brand new who has never worked at any event with the WBC before } who failed to appreciate that they need to show up - none of these new teams will be used for Glastonbury 2019 or Glastonbury 2020 - they will have at least a 3 year ban .

certainly in the last 29 years  Finsbury park last week takes the record - being down 200 Volunteers is no joke and it must have placed enormous pressure on the people working at them.

Edited by glasto-worker

10 hours ago, dentalplan said:

You seem to be taking the suggestion of them playing in front of a backdrop of the match too seriously.

Unfortunately, so are most people on social media.   People genuinely believe that they can show the match on the main stage screens whilst Slowdive and Editors play and that won't ruin the music for people who actually want to watch those bands.  

It would be lovely if they could come up with a solution for people to watch the World Cup match but the priority really has to be the advertised event that we've all bought tickets for.

With three stages, and the amount of bars and food stalls they cram in, I can't really see anywhere for them to screen the match that wouldn't cause disruption to the actual music. And stopping the bands for two hours to show it on the main screens is not an option at all with a day that packed. 

43 minutes ago, RyanS said:

Unfortunately, so are most people on social media.   People genuinely believe that they can show the match on the main stage screens whilst Slowdive and Editors play and that won't ruin the music for people who actually want to watch those bands.  

It would be lovely if they could come up with a solution for people to watch the World Cup match but the priority really has to be the advertised event that we've all bought tickets for.

What you seem to be missing is that most people want to experience both and it will be brilliant memorable unique experience. 

Slowdive would be a brilliant soundtrack to the game. It’s not like it’s going to be ideal conditions for a Slowdive gig anyway - bright sun, the deadening corporate atmosphere of BST and being surrounded by Cure fans.

In any case if you’re a big fan of the band and not interested in the game you’d be watching the band not the screens. I mean do you ever look at the screens normally?  I suspect a bigger distraction will be Cure fanatics saving their place at the front  and talking loudly about what awful songs the band might play later. 

• Downvote 1

50 minutes ago, evilduck said:

With three stages, and the amount of bars and food stalls they cram in, I can't really see anywhere for them to screen the match that wouldn't cause disruption to the actual music. And stopping the bands for two hours to show it on the main screens is not an option at all with a day that packed. 

You just show it without the commentary on the main screen whilst the bands are playing.  

Or at least between bands on each stage. 

I'm not convinced that those watching the screens will do so in a way that doesn't distract the audience from the music.   It can be quite difficult at gigs like this, as you rightly point out, to avoid people talking all over the set anyway.   

I don't want to be THAT guy but I really believe that the set will be ruined by the football being on the screen at the same time.  People will naturally be chatting, cheering/jeering whenever goals are scored or almost scored, chanting about football coming home over the top of the music.

I fully appreciate that a lot of people want to watch the football but I can't see why it should be done in a way that could potentially spoil things for people who would prefer to enjoy the bands.  It's not a popular opinion but actually the priority ought to be ensuring that people enjoy the event they actually paid for.   I hope they can sort out the football for people as well but not at the expense of the music.

I think the sense of entitlement from some people on the social media feeds is a bit much actually.

5 minutes ago, Declan said:

You just show it without the commentary on the main screen whilst the bands are playing.  

Or at least between bands on each stage. 

Well theres only half hour inbetween Slowdive and Editors where you would actually see the game, then a little bit after if it goes to extra time and penalties. I can't even imagine how horribly distracting it would be trying to watch a band while everyone else is watching football on the screens at the same time! 

2 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

the wristband and entry staff are volunteers at Hyde Park ' but they have paid a deposit ' so if they fail to show up - they lose their deposit.

There's no deposit if you're doing entry - just a £10 admin fee which you don't get back even if you turn up 

I probably won't be turning up 

1 hour ago, evilduck said:

well they managed it in 2006 at Hyde park - it was open 13 days out of 14 { June/July } - as you walk in ' via general Admission the screen was on the right ' facing the stage ' I worked there every day but I know nothing about football or who was playing - they showed football but there was no sound - cant recall what days it was but I know it was on as most of the audience was facing the stage and others were facing the screen - all very bizarre

I know it was Roger Waters on Saturday 1st of July and the Who Sunday 2nd of July - which was the last weekend .

just cant understand people who buy tickets for a concert and then miss the concert to watch football.

6 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

There's no deposit if you're doing entry - just a £10 admin fee which you don't get back even if you turn up 

I probably won't be turning up 

I thought it was Oxfam doing it - so who is doing it ? 

Edited by glasto-worker