British Summer Time 2018

Rose-Colored Boy

Impressive how solid their bills can be. That Cure bill is exceptional - and as such, it should probably come as no surprise it's sold out a shade under half-a-year away. Now that is some pulling power.

Never did get my ticket in the end, which is a shame... Will have to look into it closer to the time and cross fingers for a late release/press release of tix.

Definitely feeling arctic monkeys for this now . They're heavily rumoured to be doing TRNSMT, mad cool , primavera etc around early July- their mad cool/nos alive slot (both of whom have one headliner TBC) would be July 13th and it would make sense to finish the run of European festivals in bst Hyde park on 15th. Also they just announced their comeback today and the bst announcement will be next Monday or Tuesday so it's very likely I think now.

Impressive they've now got 2 nights sold out with Eric Clapton now sold out. Very annoyed that this new tiered ticketing is working.

My thoughts on headliner #6:

• Obviously Arctic Monkeys are a possibility (I'd assume) unless they're doing R+L and TRNSMT.
  • I wonder if they'll go for a female act as all 5 headliners so far are male. Maybe Beyonce - she's headlining Coachella so she is performing and hasn't done a UK festival in an age. Tickets would fly.
  • If not, maybe The 1975 as they'll have a new record out by then - probably see them doing this in 2019 though.
  • Oh shit, it is going to be Eminem, isn't it. He's headlining everything - all the US ones, Wireless, new V, BST, Latitude, EOTR, I've heard he's pitching up his own pyramid stage and doing his own Glasto.
Edited by finn_with_1_n

20 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

AM for this and TRNSMT. Skip R+L this time round in favour of hitting it up next year, following a winter arena tour in Nov/Dec. Glasto in 2020 for the 50th Anniversary. Possibly a stadium gig in London next summer too; have they ever headlined Wembley?

Don't really get why they'd do BST this year rather than just doing a stadium.

Reckon Glasto in 2019 and then R&L in 2020 on the tail end of their tour like Muse last year.

On 12/01/2018 at 12:48 AM, Mattymooz said:

Doubt it would be Eminem

Me too, I was just joking given how many festivals he seems to be doing in the US.

4 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Don't really get why they'd do BST this year rather than just doing a stadium.

I think the trend is that artists with influence (big enough to headline and/or have strong fanbases) do festivals first as 1) festivals pay to book acts and want ticket sales and might not get sold-out festivals when bands are two years into touring an album (therefore may pay more, the earlier in the album cycle), and 2) they know that fans generally want to see artists at their own headline shows.

So, let's say Arctic Monkeys did BST this year. Fans who go the festival will say: "oh it was great, but I might enjoy it even more if I went to one of their own shows". Then they announce the stadium tour for next year and then they'll get most of the festival-goers to go to their show again. Easy money, rather than stadium tour then BST the next year as then fans might think non-AM fans will go and ruin the experience. Also non-AM fans might be at a festival that they're playing at and see them and become a fan and then they'd buy tickets for their next tour etc. That is my theory anyway.

13 minutes ago, finn_with_1_n said:

Me too, I was just joking given how many festivals he seems to be doing in the US.

I think the trend is that artists with influence (big enough to headline and/or have strong fanbases) do festivals first as 1) festivals pay to book acts and want ticket sales and might not get sold-out festivals when bands are two years into touring an album (therefore may pay more, the earlier in the album cycle), and 2) they know that fans generally want to see artists at their own headline shows.

So, let's say Arctic Monkeys did BST this year. Fans who go the festival will say: "oh it was great, but I might enjoy it even more if I went to one of their own shows". Then they announce the stadium tour for next year and then they'll get most of the festival-goers to go to their show again. Easy money, rather than stadium tour then BST the next year as then fans might think non-AM fans will go and ruin the experience. Also non-AM fans might be at a festival that they're playing at and see them and become a fan and then they'd buy tickets for their next tour etc. That is my theory anyway.

But if Arctic Monkeys were going to do BST this year and then stadiums next year, they could just do a London stadium this year and more stadiums next year, therefore earning them more money.

I get your logic for festivals that aren't in London, but I think there's a reason why these huge acts such as Foos, Drake, Eminem have done their own shows rather than BST. You get the odd exception - for example The Stones - but in general I think BST headliners tend to be acts that couldn't sell out Wembley Stadium or whatever their own.

16 hours ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

AM for this and TRNSMT. Skip R+L this time round in favour of hitting it up next year, following a winter arena tour in Nov/Dec. Glasto in 2020 for the 50th Anniversary. Possibly a stadium gig in London next summer too; have they ever headlined Wembley?

Arctics to do 18, 19 and 20?, they love Glastonbury, Alex has talked very fondly about playing it, almost of not as much as Matt Bellamy has. They won't be doing a BST gig here in July, their own stadium tour next year and then Glasto 20, it'll be Glasto next year I think personally. Glastonbury always love to book them and bar the Muse booking after Download it's extremely rare that Glastonbury get 2nd year on a band with a new album....let alone 3rd. They are one of the band's I could see if it was the same year playing BST and Glasto though.

On 13/01/2018 at 11:02 PM, Gucci Piggy said:

in general I think BST headliners tend to be acts that couldn't sell out Wembley Stadium or whatever their own

Yeah I agree with you completely. I was mostly trying to suggest why bands do festivals in year one of album cycle then headline tours the following years. I don't think they'll headline BST this year just because why do this when they could do R+L which is both credible and fair and convenient to their fans.

Then again, who are the other options for headliner #6?

I think it’ll be a big mainstream pop act. Pink’s a good shout but she is touring Australia and New Zealand throughout (our) summer.

I think Britney Spears will either do this or Zombie V Fest. She’s headlining a Danish festival in August which is no doubt part of a bigger tour. It’s a week before V (if it’s the same weekend) but BST seems more her kind of thing.

Edited by dentalplan

10 minutes ago, OnRzL said:

Is it safe to assume the current line up will all be on the main stage?

I don't think so, no. Between the 1:30pm doors (bands on main stage should either start then or 2pm) and The Cure starting at 7:45pm at the very latest, I think fitting the other six acts in would be too much of a squeeze. They flip-flop the stages though so you would probably be able to catch quite a few bands if you were willing to walk about - obviously that willingness will be impacted by whatever the wristband situation is when it comes to getting in the front enclosure.

Just my speculation here but I'd personally expect the main stage to go Twilight Sad>Ride>Editors>Interpol>The Cure with Slowdive>Goldfrapp being the top two on the second stage. The last act on the 2nd/3rd stages is pretty much a no-go because everyone else is settling in and waiting for the headliner.

4 minutes ago, Declan said:

I was rather hoping that one of the other named bands were playing at the same time as The Cure. 7:45pm is a bit early to leave a festival. 

It's never happened before at BST, because the great majority of the ticketholders are there for the headline act. Can't imagine it will be any different for The Cure, even if they are starting a fair bit earlier than usual.

1 hour ago, evilduck said:

It's never happened before at BST, because the great majority of the ticketholders are there for the headline act. Can't imagine it will be any different for The Cure, even if they are starting a fair bit earlier than usual.

Wireless when it was at Hyde Park had the second stage headliners overlap with the Main Stage. I saw Aphex Twin and when I left Chemical Brothers were on, but they were so dull in comparison I drifted off. 

Maybe there'll be another gig on in London that night.