British Summer Time 2018

Rose-Colored Boy

Solid - nay, great - booking for BST, this. Caught him on his tour earlier in the spring and he knows how to put on a show - and has the musical chops to back it up. He'll be able to turn out a watertight 90-minute party set easy.

The Maiden speculation is a curious one. I mean, obviously, doing Download again so soon would border on that festival falling into self-parody - but heard enough rumours they've got a big package EU tour with Judas Priest and Anthrax in support. Be honest, could see them more ending up at London Stadium than Hyde Park - noise curfews would rankle with them massively, you'd imagine.

59 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Damn had assumed Bruno would do V. I guess this is good for him as well it just means I have no idea who V are gonna get now lol

Still got options (although Bruno Mars would have been a good booking for them) - Taylor Swift, Kanye, Calvin Harris, Drake, Eminem, Florence and the Machine or The Killers if they decide to go back on their all-out-pop direction. Probably more I'm forgetting.

1 hour ago, Mattymooz said:

Damn had assumed Bruno would do V. I guess this is good for him as well it just means I have no idea who V are gonna get now lol

V is unlikely to return in its current form. Staffordshire looks to have been binned and the other leg could well be rebranded. 

1 hour ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Solid - nay, great - booking for BST, this. Caught him on his tour earlier in the spring and he knows how to put on a show - and has the musical chops to back it up. He'll be able to turn out a watertight 90-minute party set easy.

Shame his most recent album was so bad, three years ago I'd have been all over this. Presumably the main support act is still to come, too.

1 hour ago, Zac Quinn said:

Presumably the main support act is still to come, too.

I don't reckon so, with Khalid billed as a special guest. I'm not sure I've ever seen anything that was like "special guest... but not as good as some of our other guests".

Also Khalid is really effing big nowadays, I think he's sold out Glasgow and Manchester Academies instantly (and he only supported Lorde at Glasgow a few weeks ago) and he's not fully sold out both shows in London yet but still peeps are paying £40 to see what must be a one-hour set from the guy. It's like RAG'N'BONE MAN all over again. Remember RAG'N'BONE MAN?

Just now, dentalplan said:

I don't reckon so, with Khalid billed as a special guest. I'm not sure I've ever seen anything that was like "special guest... but not as good as some of our other guests".

Also Khalid is really effing big nowadays, I think he's sold out Glasgow and Manchester Academies instantly (and he only supported Lorde at Glasgow a few weeks ago) and he's not fully sold out both shows in London yet but still peeps are paying £40 to see what must be a one-hour set from the guy. It's like RAG'N'BONE MAN all over again. Remember RAG'N'BONE MAN?

Absolutely never heard of him, christ. Assumed it was that annoying bloke from the Rihanna Wild Thoughts song until I just googled it.

17 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Also Khalid is really effing big nowadays, I think he's sold out Glasgow and Manchester Academies instantly (and he only supported Lorde at Glasgow a few weeks ago)

He was replaced as the support for Lorde in Glasgow (not sure why), but I know that doesn't alter the point.

I had no idea he was that big either. Listened to the album a couple of times before the Lorde gig and it's alright but I'm not really seeing what all the fuss is about or how he's became so in demand. He ended up pulling out of supporting Lorde in Glasgow the day before anyway, presumably because he was on Jools Holland the following day.

3 hours ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

The Maiden speculation is a curious one. I mean, obviously, doing Download again so soon would border on that festival falling into self-parody - but heard enough rumours they've got a big package EU tour with Judas Priest and Anthrax in support. Be honest, could see them more ending up at London Stadium than Hyde Park - noise curfews would rankle with them massively, you'd imagine.

Downloads ability to recycle line up is incredible. They are niche enough to be able to do it yet big enough to have a huge capacity. I've only been to one download but it feels like I've been to most of them when looking at the line ups. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, WFD said:

He was replaced as the support for Lorde in Glasgow (not sure why), but I know that doesn't alter the point.

31 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

I had no idea he was that big either. Listened to the album a couple of times before the Lorde gig and it's alright but I'm not really seeing what all the fuss is about or how he's became so in demand. He ended up pulling out of supporting Lorde in Glasgow the day before anyway, presumably because he was on Jools Holland the following day.

Ah I see. That must be rough for anyone who was hyped to see him. No longer playing and now you have to pay about the same again to see him at the same place in three months' time. :lol:

His schtick is largely the same as Lorde's as far as I can see. Young person singing minimalistic songs about being a carefree teenager making the most of life despite not being privileged nor having many prospects, while making that look as glamorous as possible. Resonates with kids everywhere.

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Ah I see. That must be rough for anyone who was hyped to see him. No longer playing and now you have to pay about the same again to see him at the same place in three months' time. :lol:

His schtick is largely the same as Lorde's as far as I can see. Young person singing minimalistic songs about being a carefree teenager making the most of life despite not being privileged nor having many prospects, while making that look as glamorous as possible. Resonates with kids everywhere.

I don't even think either Lorde or Khalid's social media said anything about it so there must have been at least a few people there waiting all day to be up front for both of them only for Khalid not to appear. 

Yeah I guess that's true, yer man Khalid doesn't have the bangers that Lorde does but at the rate he's going he too will soon be playing to dangerously busy fields.

4 hours ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

I doubt it would be Priest since they're at Bloodstock but would have been a good shout. Maybe Marylin Manson and Alice in Chains? Or as an outside bet, Prophets of Rage. 

Edited by Steve1000

3 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I mean, Lorde has way better lyricims, production and a more unique voice imo... I don't really understand why he is getting so much praise and hype when in comparison Lorde's album got relatively overlooked (not critically but it hasn't sold as well)

33 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I mean, Lorde has way better lyricims, production and a more unique voice imo... I don't really understand why he is getting so much praise and hype when in comparison Lorde's album got relatively overlooked (not critically but it hasn't sold as well)

Lorde had the same praise and hype and then blew it by waiting four years to follow up her debut, I'd think. This guy's new, and he's even working with the dude who produced and co-wrote Pure Heroine, so he's having his time now. If the whole industry was based on who had the best lyrics, production and voice then we wouldn't be talking about either of these two. :P

9 hours ago, Steve1000 said:

I doubt it would be Priest since they're at Bloodstock but would have been a good shout. Maybe Marylin Manson and Alice in Chains? Or as an outside bet, Prophets of Rage. 

Couldn't see Manson, if only because it's likely the support lot for this supposed Euro jaunt would potentially have to play daytime slots in the evening. Don't think his staging would be best suited to that. Remember a lot of critics highlighting how ill-fitting Alice Cooper's stage show was on the Maiden England US leg in 13 since his theatrics were wasted in large open-air venues on a sunny evening.

Priest are headlining somewhere on the continent too, aren't they? Though Bloodstock has genuinely pulled out a corker of a lineup to follow this year. Got arguably three of the best representatives for an ideal headliner trio: the old-school veteran, the up-and-coming commercial force and the seasoned act finally given their shot at the top. (Rough categorization there, I know, but they do hit some major tentpoles).

Off topic from BST there, granted...

With Khalid nailed on for Bruno though, who to be main support for Roger Waters? Subbed by Texas over a decade ago when he last turned up in Hyde Park. Somehow imagine that won't be the case here.

12 hours ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Couldn't see Manson, if only because it's likely the support lot for this supposed Euro jaunt would potentially have to play daytime slots in the evening. Don't think his staging would be best suited to that. Remember a lot of critics highlighting how ill-fitting Alice Cooper's stage show was on the Maiden England US leg in 13 since his theatrics were wasted in large open-air venues on a sunny evening.

Priest are headlining somewhere on the continent too, aren't they? Though Bloodstock has genuinely pulled out a corker of a lineup to follow this year. Got arguably three of the best representatives for an ideal headliner trio: the old-school veteran, the up-and-coming commercial force and the seasoned act finally given their shot at the top. (Rough categorization there, I know, but they do hit some major tentpoles).

Off topic from BST there, granted...

With Khalid nailed on for Bruno though, who to be main support for Roger Waters? Subbed by Texas over a decade ago when he last turned up in Hyde Park. Somehow imagine that won't be the case here.

Depends what they go for. They could make RW a really decent psych afternoon with the likes of King Gizz, TWOD etc but they'll no doubt go down the 'legends' route...

Just now, eFestivals said:

:lol:

Those sentences weren't linked. It wasn't a "wtf are you after if you don't want Roger Waters?" I was just asking because there could easily be acts he likes in contention for the remaining spots.

But even if you don't like him, it's not really an underwhelming booking in the grand scheme of things.