30k more tickets for Glastonbury in future?

waterfalls212434

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

it wont be easy but if they can expand pink parking and then open up some of the parking fields { such as yellow 31 and 32 } to camping that may be enough but it still means a extra 30,000 stumbling about - time will tell - I am fine but its too early to say if I will regain my full walking ability but its looking promising and I have a very handy walking stick - { does nothing to help me walking but makes people feel guilty on the tube so they offer up their seat !!! } 

Are there fields even further out that can be used for parking?

2000 was a bit scary not just because of all the extra people but the gangs of drug dealers and thieves making the most of the opportunity to get in. Whole tents were just picked up and taken or moved, and the atmosphere was tense. So much better in 2002 - was one of the most chilled out times- space to walk around- see bands up close etc. I think it is well over capacity now since the increase in the “extra” staff, security, crew, workers, volunteers, artists etc over the last few years. This year felt it was too many at certain points- you just can’t get around easily or see some stuff without having to plan well in advance, and it’s worse in a muddy year like 2016. I still love it and will be trying to make it to my 20th Glastonbury next time but maybe I am just getting old - it feels too busy with too many people around! 

Lets hope it was just ME waffling on as usual as he does!! 

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Are there fields even further out that can be used for parking?

I am not sure how much space they use at

Royal Bath and West Showground but that could be a possibility but of course that means a shuttle service - when you think of the demand for tickets it would be easy to add in say 20,000 tickets for people who are prepared for park/shuttleImage1.jpg.c8191a0643459e616f53cda64713ce16.jpg

11 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

it wont be easy but if they can expand pink parking and then open up some of the parking fields { such as yellow 31 and 32 } to camping that may be enough but it still means a extra 30,000 stumbling about - time will tell - I am fine but its too early to say if I will regain my full walking ability but its looking promising and I have a very handy walking stick - { does nothing to help me walking but makes people feel guilty on the tube so they offer up their seat !!! } 

Nice old son.. 

36 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

It already feels too full doesn't it? No more, thank you. I think there'd still be a crazy battle for tickets even with an extra 30k. 

Isn't it like 1.3 million registered? It will always be a battle as you said.

I thought it felt crowded at times this year. Would 30,000 extra tickets really make it that much easier to get tickets? Maybe a little, but I don't think it would be worth it because the festival would be that bit more unpleasant. I'm not sure they'd need to make the pyramid field bigger though. The whole 30k aren't going all going to go to a headliner, maybe 10k to 15k would. I think the current size of the field could handle that. The issue would be everyone getting out afterwards in a safe and orderly fashion. There's only 2 exits and it's seriously congested as is. Although I've never been involved in a bad crush there I've heard a few scary stories on here involving people with young kids and stuff. I think it got a bit hectic after Ed Sheeran this year?

I think a big walkway that goes through the big backstage area bewtween the other and pyramid would free up the site a lot, instead of going around for miles people could just go through that area on a designated walkway. I've no idea if that's even possible but I think that alone would enable an increase in capacity, but not a 30k increase.

53 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

I thought it felt crowded at times this year. Would 30,000 extra tickets really make it that much easier to get tickets? Maybe a little, but I don't think it would be worth it because the festival would be that bit more unpleasant. I'm not sure they'd need to make the pyramid field bigger though. The whole 30k aren't going all going to go to a headliner, maybe 10k to 15k would. I think the current size of the field could handle that. The issue would be everyone getting out afterwards in a safe and orderly fashion. There's only 2 exits and it's seriously congested as is. Although I've never been involved in a bad crush there I've heard a few scary stories on here involving people with young kids and stuff. I think it got a bit hectic after Ed Sheeran this year?

I think a big walkway that goes through the big backstage area between the other and pyramid would free up the site a lot, instead of going around for miles people could just go through that area on a designated walkway. I've no idea if that's even possible but I think that alone would enable an increase in capacity, but not a 30k increase.

I drove though a few years ago in one of our buggies - its years since I have been in that area and its well changed - its like driving though a Industrial estate - have not a clue who was connected to all the big tents but there was lots of them with what appeared to be a grid structure to the roads - I know what your on about but I would think that it would not be possible as the roads were in use by many buggies - sure if they could slim down the interstage area this could make the current public tracks wider although I would imagine there would be strong protest - Getting from A to B is just going to get worse unless they make drastic changes.

I think its the exits in and out of the pyramid field make things a bit scary! The top track is very small trying to get in for coldplay 2016 was a nightmare we gave up! Getting from the bottom left hand exit to the other stage from craig david to kaiser chiefs was scary people coming from both direction and from the roads leading to the pyramid it bottle necked! 

The amount of litter on site is already appalling. If they are going to allow that many more peeps, at least 20% should be some sort of clean up crew or volunteers. If they had another off-site camping option like Worthy View or even Tangerine Fields which I stayed at this year (they were very good with great amenities and reasonable price) it would take some of the pressure off. But in times of torrential rains I can see it being a total unmitigated disaster. 

*I always seem to enter a convo after it has devolved into something else.

Edited by JacquelineS

On 29/09/2017 at 2:39 PM, SteveTLizard said:

This year on Sunday afternoon at the Other stage (Rag 'n' Bone Man possibly) it felt very much like it did in 2000.  It was total gridlock in the field and up on the old train track.  They'd need to seriously rethink the layout of the site if they wanted to inject 30k more punters in.

Or put up an actual monorail of course, with the added benefit that it would stop the relentless monorail 'gags'.

That was horrendous but to be honest it was created mostly by people sitting on chairs or groups of people sitting/lying on the grass. Fucks me off more than anything that does. I get that some people need a chair due to age/back problems etc but the vast majority of chair sitters and lying on the grounders were young and perfectly fit people. How anyone can remain lying on the ground whilst people trample past is beyond me