30k more tickets for Glastonbury in future?

waterfalls212434

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

If I was in charge and tasked with generating more money (for charity or otherwise), I would look at putting on more events rather than expanding the main Glasto.  Would the locals stand for something the size of the 80s festival in the Pilton Pop slot?

I agree old son. The year before the fence of death was too much it was rammed and not in a nice way. 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Double the capacity I say. 'But how will they do that Tom?' I hear you ask, its very simple. Double decker festival. It worked for buildings and buses festivals are the next logical step.

Edited by priest17
I've just realised none of you know that I am Tom

20 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Would the locals stand for something the size of the 80s festival in the Pilton Pop slot?

Not a chance, is my guess - unless perhaps it was purely for benefit of the village.

It's taken them 45 years to just about accept the normal festival on their doorstep. I can't see them being keen for more.

Hasn't the festival already got a license to run as is for several more years? I guess they could apply to change the license, but even though there's the prospect of ticket day being easier, I'm dead against it.

I admit it's just my preferences, but I mainly avoid the busiest areas as it is way too much hassle already. 

9 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

The other option of course is having it over two weekends. Ticket buyers would only be allowed one weekend so nobody could do both. Although whether the locals would go for it is a different question altogether.

I know Coachella do it, but could you imagine going to the second weekend in 2016 conditions?  No thanks.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
Rewording to not suggest doing two weekends in a row.

8 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

I agree old son. The year before the fence of death was too much it was rammed and not in a nice way. 

it was a right pain in the arse - if I had been a ticket holder I would have left - I was glad when they added the superfence {2002} - now if they could expand the Overall area it may work but I reckon as it stands just now is just about right.I just wish the ticket system was not such a lottery as it must drive people insane.

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I know Coachella do it, but could you imagine going to the second weekend in 2016 conditions?  No thanks.

Even in mostly-dry years two weekends in a row would leave the place in a hell of a state. Maybe it'd be feasible when Emily takes sole control of the estate and it stops being a working farm for 40 weeks of the year, but not before that.

This year on Sunday afternoon at the Other stage (Rag 'n' Bone Man possibly) it felt very much like it did in 2000.  It was total gridlock in the field and up on the old train track.  They'd need to seriously rethink the layout of the site if they wanted to inject 30k more punters in.

Or put up an actual monorail of course, with the added benefit that it would stop the relentless monorail 'gags'.

24 minutes ago, SteveTLizard said:

This year on Sunday afternoon at the Other stage (Rag 'n' Bone Man possibly) it felt very much like it did in 2000.  It was total gridlock in the field and up on the old train track.  They'd need to seriously rethink the layout of the site if they wanted to inject 30k more punters in.

That did get silly. Not sure what they could have done about it though, I don't think they realised the stock of the act they booked until it was too late.

7 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

That did get silly. Not sure what they could have done about it though, I don't think they realised the stock of the act they booked until it was too late.

At the back it was rammed, too rammed, but around the sound desk and in the middle it was very spacious with loads of room. I found this for quite  a lot of acts at the main stages.

It was as though people got to the back, thought it was so packed there was no way to get forward so just stayed at the back making it even busier there.

23 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

It was as though people got to the back, thought it was so packed there was no way to get forward so just stayed at the back making it even busier there.

isn't it really about "we'll have a look at this, but as i'm not sure if we'll like it and want to stay we'll stay back here"....?

That tends to be in the mix for why I might decide to stay towards the back.

3 hours ago, SteveTLizard said:

Or put up an actual monorail of course, with the added benefit that it would stop the relentless monorail 'gags'.

A crowd that size for Rag n Bone Man is a good reason for reducing the size by 30,000, and introducing some sort of decency test into the bargain. 

3 hours ago, Tommy101 said:

It wasn't the size of the crowd that was the problem, we walked through park home from the campervan field wanting to get to Barry.  We got completely stuck at the back of the Other, there was no way around it as a lot of fields at the back of the other were fenced off for crewe.  We were both feeling a bit jaded from the previous few days and had to sit down to prevent a full on panic situation.  We ended up having to wind a treacherous path through the dystopian Mad Max themed camping ground that is Oxlers.

I remember a very similar feeling in 2000 trying to get from Pyramid to Other (NME then maybe) at around 10pm on the Saturday night and getting totally gridlocked on the bridges, scary stuff at the time.

Edited by SteveTLizard

8 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

it was a right pain in the arse - if I had been a ticket holder I would have left - I was glad when they added the superfence {2002} - now if they could expand the Overall area it may work but I reckon as it stands just now is just about right.I just wish the ticket system was not such a lottery as it must drive people insane.

Think you've hit that proverbial nail old son... But I can't really see how or where they could expand the site.. Well not unless they got more fields in the direction of Glastonbury town... 

There's no room in the SE corner then there's hills all round the place so only real way to go is towards Glastonbury. You would have to have more glamping outside the festival 

As far as numbers go yea they could probably fit a few more in but 30 K. Naaaa 

Also think of the shit another 30 K of people will make. They can't get the lot that go now to clean up... 

We shall see.

Hope you are well old son. G

Edited by guypjfreak

8 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I do somewhat disbelieve Somerset live reporting of things ..

Is there a suggestion that you can't believe all that you read, I was still clinging to the hope that Elvis was alive and well on Mars , that the Earth is flat, that Lord Lucan was a good swimmer and that Simon Cowell is a TW@T. Surely one of these facts must be true!

7 hours ago, SteveTLizard said:

To think that many people like Rag 'n' Bone man. 

2 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

Think you've hit that proverbial nail old son... But I can't really see how or where they could expand the site.. Well not unless they got more fields in the direction of Glastonbury town... 

There's no room in the SE corner then there's hills all round the place so only real way to go is towards Glastonbury. You would have to have more glamping outside the festival 

As far as numbers go yea they could probably fit a few more in but 30 K. Naaaa 

Also think of the shit another 30 K of people will make. They can't get the lot that go now to clean up... 

We shall see.

Hope you are well old son. G

it wont be easy but if they can expand pink parking and then open up some of the parking fields { such as yellow 31 and 32 } to camping that may be enough but it still means a extra 30,000 stumbling about - time will tell - I am fine but its too early to say if I will regain my full walking ability but its looking promising and I have a very handy walking stick - { does nothing to help me walking but makes people feel guilty on the tube so they offer up their seat !!! }