30k more tickets for Glastonbury in future?

waterfalls212434

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Urgh, even with new areas and further expansion of the site + more off-site camping, could you imagine how awful the Pyramid would be on the Sunday with thirty fucking thousand extra people on site?

I'd rather take one for the team and miss the odd festival than see it ruined from too many bodies.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

48 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Urgh, even with new areas and further expansion of the site + more off-site camping, could you imagine how awful the Pyramid would be on the Sunday with thirty fucking thousand extra people on site?

I'd rather take one for the team and miss the odd festival than see it ruined from too many bodies.

They would cut row mead in half (or more) I suppose. 

Be a real shame to lose such an iconic camping spot though. 

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I know what you mean. I think there's a real danger with going too far with the size; it's been shedding people who say it's got to big for well over 20 years now.

I reckon what's behind him saying that is more about the idea that there were 250,000 there in 2000 - which 'proves' the site can cope with those numbers - rather than a real desire to grow it some more.

Just now, eFestivals said:

I know what you mean. I think there's a real danger with going too far with the size; it's been shedding people who say it's got to big for well over 20 years now.

I reckon what's behind him saying that is more about the idea that there were 250,000 there in 2000 - which 'proves' the site can cope with those numbers - rather than a real desire to grow it some more.

An idea I really can't get behind anymore - looking at photos from the time compared with recent images tell a different picture.  We know how many are in the festival with a fairly good degree of accuracy (Twix ninjas aside), whereas in 2000 it was just a guess.  I'm far from convinced that there were 250,000 on site back then.  And even if there were, things were a lot easier because going back to the tent for a smoke was much more common 17 years ago.

There's no way 2000 can be used for a justification than the site can handle 280,000.  If Michael believes there is, he's kidding himself.

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

The Pyramid field isn't getting any bigger unless as Russy says they sacrifice Row Mead or Kidney Mead camping for additional space. It gets busy enough during massive acts, sticking an extra 10-15k people in there for a headliner (gonna assume all 30k wouldn't turn up unless is was someone mega) would be dangerous.

14 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

An idea I really can't get behind anymore - looking at photos from the time compared with recent images tell a different picture.  We know how many are in the festival with a fairly good degree of accuracy (Twix ninjas aside), whereas in 2000 it was just a guess.  I'm far from convinced that there were 250,000 on site back then.  And even if there were, things were a lot easier because going back to the tent for a smoke was much more common 17 years ago.

There's no way 2000 can be used for a justification than the site can handle 280,000.  If Michael believes there is, he's kidding himself.

an extra 30,000 from now still wouldn't take the fest to 250k. I'm not sure how you got that 280k.

But I agree, that the numbers now suggest there weren't really 250,000 there in 2000, even tho people were perhaps better spread around the site back then.

It's no surprise that the festival likes to reference what was a council assumption, tho, as it puts the festival in a strong position to ask for extras (if they want to) and have the extras granted now that the festival is much better managed.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

an extra 30,000 from now still wouldn't take the fest to 250k. I'm not sure how you got that 280k.

By posting before I've had my coffee.  But the same point stands, I can't see an extra 30k being a goer, even with a 2007 scale expansion.  People are still going to go to the main stage.

7 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

By posting before I've had my coffee.  

:lol:

7 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

But the same point stands, I can't see an extra 30k being a goer, even with a 2007 scale expansion.  People are still going to go to the main stage.

I can see an extra 30k being possible, tho only if they find a way to better herd people away from the Pyramid. 

In theory that should be possible - I'd say the Pyramid took a lower proportion of the crowd at times in the past - but how it would be achieved from the festival's side of things I've no idea.

Cos ultimately it's what's got the ticket buyers attention that drives where the ticket buyers go at the festival - and the media attention is much-more about just-the-headliners than it's ever been.

Just now, eFestivals said:

:lol:

I can see an extra 30k being possible, tho only if they find a way to better herd people away from the Pyramid. 

In theory that should be possible - I'd say the Pyramid took a lower proportion of the crowd at times in the past - but how it would be achieved from the festival's side of things I've no idea.

Cos ultimately it's what's got the ticket buyers attention that drives where the ticket buyers go at the festival - and the media attention is much-more about just-the-headliners than it's ever been.

Maybe it would be possible, I suppose it's an interesting thought experiment to think what radical things could be done to make it feasible (after all we've got to fill the 634 Days and 22 Hours somehow)

What if Silver Hayes  was removed  and another Other Stage sized arena was put there?  With another multi-stage area added to somewhere that's currently car parks?  And some performance areas+bars get added to the more remote camp sites to encourage lazy people to stay in their tents?

I think I should have had a stronger coffee...

Where would these extra 30k camp and park? The festival would need more land to accommodate all of this and I was under the impression that relations with the local farmers aren't fantastic.

At £250 a ticket an extra 30k people would bring in £7.5m. How much of that would need to be spent on extra provisions (not just land but facilities such as toilets, water points, policing, security. etc) to accommodate the extra people?

Talked to my mate a bit more. He said the words were put in his mouth really, it was an audience question. Eavis also said he’d never buy the land from his neighbours as it has been in their families for generations and he couldn’t bring himself to take that away from them.

9 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Where would these extra 30k camp and park? The festival would need more land to accommodate all of this and I was under the impression that relations with the local farmers aren't fantastic.

the amount of people now camping off-site will have created an amount of extra camping space - and there's still camping space in the less popular places.

I've no idea if there's enough spare for 30,000 extras tho.

At £250 a ticket an extra 30k people would bring in £7.5m. How much of that would need to be spent on extra provisions (not just land but facilities such as toilets, water points, policing, security. etc) to accommodate the extra people?

The costs of infrastructure shouldn't be an issue, as that shouldn't be anything more proportionately than now.

The extra land might be an issue, tho I took Michael's words to be meaning that the extras could be accommodated on current land. As I said, I think he's working from that probably-wrong estimate of 250,000 being there in 2000.

(it's worth noting, too, that nowadays there's more land used than there was in 2000).

Edited by eFestivals

You want as many people as possible to be able to enjoy it of course but you really don't want to cram too many in as it would then be far from enjoyable. It does seem packed at times and yeah it can be hard to get around but I think its at just about the right number right now.

That said I have no idea because I'm not a festival organiser. Certainly wouldn't like to see it go up too much likewise I'm not sure I'd want it to go down either.

I know 30,000 extra wouldn't congregate in the same place at the same time but imagine any significant increase in the likes of Arcadia at peak time. This year was bad enough at nighttime - a 45 minute round trip to the toilet 20 metres away is my testimony to that :D

2 hours ago, russycarps said:

They would cut row mead in half (or more) I suppose. 

Be a real shame to lose such an iconic camping spot though. 

They best not be touching row mead old son... That's home that is.. 

Kick out the on site fancy camping.. Put it in a field outside with all the rest. Lol