Pukkelpop 2018

DDave

9 minutes ago, DJ_FrontsideWallride said:

Awesome thanks dude! This was exactly the kind of thing i wanted to hear, definitely going to get some vouchers payday. You going this year? If so who are you looking forward to? 

Was also wondering what are they like bringing drink etc into the campsite? Would it be worth buying a couple of crates for the campsite then just top up when in the arena? 

They don't allow glass in the camping area, but you can take as many cans of beer as you want. Nobody is going to count them. Put your liquors in plastic bottles and they don't bat an eye. 

What do you mean with "just top up when in the arena"?

One thing I forgot about the food stalls in people's gardens: The city of Hasselt orders everyone to close their food stall at 3am this year, so if you plan to untill the very end, you have to know there wouldn't be food in the streets after the party ends. 

Edited by Death By Sexy

12 minutes ago, Death By Sexy said:

They don't allow glass in the camping area, but you can take as many cans of beer as you want. Nobody is going to count them. Put your liquors in plastic bottles and they don't bat an eye. 

What do you mean with "just top up when in the arena"?

ah okay cool, will probably hit a supermarket nearby after setting up and get a crate or two. Good shout on the bottles as well, definitely would have forgotten that

by "top up" i meant drink most of my alcohol in the camp site then just stay that level of drunk by getting a few beers in the arena haha

29 minutes ago, DJ_FrontsideWallride said:

Awesome thanks dude! This was exactly the kind of thing i wanted to hear, definitely going to get some vouchers payday. You going this year? If so who are you looking forward to? 

Was also wondering what are they like bringing drink etc into the campsite? Would it be worth buying a couple of crates for the campsite then just top up when in the arena? 

No idea, never camped. You can pre-order cold beer on the website https://tickets.pukkelpop.be/en/step1beer/

This'll be my 8th time going since 2009, a lot of the posters on here have been to a lot more. Looking forward to Arcade Fire, Justice, Confidence Man, King Giz, TWOD, Dua Lipa, UMO, Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever &  Vitalic.

Edited by DiscothequeDave

25 minutes ago, DJ_FrontsideWallride said:

ah okay cool, will probably hit a supermarket nearby after setting up and get a crate or two. Good shout on the bottles as well, definitely would have forgotten that

by "top up" i meant drink most of my alcohol in the camp site then just stay that level of drunk by getting a few beers in the arena haha

Haha topping up wouldn't be a problem. There aren't any big super markets in the direct area of pukkelpop, but there are some gas stations.

1 hour ago, DJ_FrontsideWallride said:

Hi all! Long time lurker, first time poster.

This is me and my mates first time to Pukkelpop, any tips/ advice for first timers? 

Also what is the food & drink token system like when using it? Is it worth getting them beforehand?

Thanks see you there!

JP

Welcome on board! I'll echo what Dave has said, it's an amazing festival for so many reasons and you'll have a great time. The line up has been better but there should still be enough to keep us entertained for most of the weekend. There are a few things to do around the site in addition to the music but they haven't announced that program yet. It's nothing on the scale of somewhere like Glastonbury or Latitude but there's usually a few decent things to see and do.

With regards to the food and drink tokens, @Chimme already mentioned but they do stop the online sales before the start of the festival. It's usually the end of July or very beginning of August but I don't think they give any warning? Definitely buy some in advance though as it's cheaper and you'll need them as they're fairly strict on searches. You can use the stalls outside like Dave said and obviously drink in the campsite too. Btw, which camp site are you in? One is just across the road from the arena but the other is a short bus ride or 20 min walk away. If you're in the latter then you probably wouldn't go back during the day/evening between bands unless you have a couple of hours break.

3 hours ago, Chimme said:

Fine!

I'll buy some extra drink tickets, then. ?

Sounds good, I ordered some tokens last night so we should have plenty for a few beers!! Will give you a shout beforehand to make some plans. If anyone else fancies getting together for our 'unofficial efests meet up' then you're more than welcome. I say 'unofficial' because we've tried to do this a few times in the past and it's never happened - gonna keep this one low key!!

They've put up a short video clip of the site and you can see two of the tents. Trying to work out which ones though? The positioning is similar to how they lay out the Boiler and Dance Hall but the one at the back looks too small for either.

31st July is the last day for tokens @Semprini

The Pukkelpop Cafe would be a good place to meet on the Friday, although I can't even remember it being mentioned or seeing it last year.

So, yet to be announced we have:

Wednesday - Nothing

Thursday - Main stage slot before Rag N Bone Man, Castello slot before Kelly Lee Owens.

Friday - Main stage slot before NERD, big Dance Hall slot

Saturday - Main stage and Dance Hall openers

Le Petit Bazaar details & possibly something like the think tank from last year.

Lowlands drops it schedule either tonight or tomorrow so may give us an idea of who's free for those slots if we are to share the last acts

1 hour ago, Semprini said:

Welcome on board! I'll echo what Dave has said, it's an amazing festival for so many reasons and you'll have a great time. The line up has been better but there should still be enough to keep us entertained for most of the weekend. There are a few things to do around the site in addition to the music but they haven't announced that program yet. It's nothing on the scale of somewhere like Glastonbury or Latitude but there's usually a few decent things to see and do.

With regards to the food and drink tokens, @Chimme already mentioned but they do stop the online sales before the start of the festival. It's usually the end of July or very beginning of August but I don't think they give any warning? Definitely buy some in advance though as it's cheaper and you'll need them as they're fairly strict on searches. You can use the stalls outside like Dave said and obviously drink in the campsite too. Btw, which camp site are you in? One is just across the road from the arena but the other is a short bus ride or 20 min walk away. If you're in the latter then you probably wouldn't go back during the day/evening between bands unless you have a couple of hours break.

Sounds good, I ordered some tokens last night so we should have plenty for a few beers!! Will give you a shout beforehand to make some plans. If anyone else fancies getting together for our 'unofficial efests meet up' then you're more than welcome. I say 'unofficial' because we've tried to do this a few times in the past and it's never happened - gonna keep this one low key!!

They've put up a short video clip of the site and you can see two of the tents. Trying to work out which ones though? The positioning is similar to how they lay out the Boiler and Dance Hall but the one at the back looks too small for either.

I'd like to be part of the unofficial meeting. I don't have a smartphone though, so I need it to be planned in advance. 

You can see the boiler in the video. The one in the back is the marquee. 

• Upvote 1

@DJ_FrontsideWallride I'd echo what the chaps have said here. Pukkelpop is a great festival, superbly organised with a varied and interesting linueup. Yes, I grant you, we have had a bit of a moan this year as some of the headliners and subs are a bit weak. I think this will be number 5 or 6 for me and regardless of the lineup it has always been a blast.

Token system is great, I'm not sure I have ever queued for a beer, and there's a lot of fun to be had heading onto the street for a beer and a chat. We spend quite a bit of time down at the thatched cottage (out of the festival turn left, out of the camping turn right). They have decent enough food at reasonable prices, the beer is cheap and it's always busy.

I'd not eat inside, I think the food is expensive and not that great. Much better to head outside to the aforementioned thatched cottage, or go the other way for the Pizza shop/takeaway or just a little bit for the Fritur (Belgian chipshop, great sauces!) for chips and deep fried meat of dubious origin.

Edited by TheNewUnion

7 minutes ago, Death By Sexy said:

Schedule for Lowlands is released. There aren't any names added at all...

No, just a very poorly laid out website that gave the impression there were more names to come.

Anyway, last bit of hope for me to turn the Friday around is that Chic are still free and are playing quite a similar slot before NERD at Lowlands the day after. I'd be disappointed if the Pukkelpop organisers didn't at least ask the question.  'Get Lucky' with Pharrell would be a massive highlight with the old and the young. The Ostend gig may be the reason why they've not been announced as they announced that roughly the same time as Lowlands and maybe Pukkelpop piggybacked onto the idea of booking them, but I'm not getting my hopes up. The Ostend gig has nearly sold out of floor tickets but there's plenty of balcony seats left.

22 hours ago, Death By Sexy said:

Kaffee De Egel, Irish pub, less know than the tourist trap that is called the Irish Times Pub but far more cozy. Zuivelmarkt 64

In de kleine hal, one of the oldest bars in Hasselt, Maastrichterstraat 30

Belgium Belgium, a pop-up bar from the owners of Cafe Cafe (Cafe Cafe is closed due renovation), Botermarkt 21

Cafe Latino for the cocktails, Zuivelmarkt 12

Koks & Tales, excellent cocktailbar but expensive. They might be closed during PKP since they are hosting the secret cocktailbar on Pukkelpop, Schrijnwerkersstraat 9

Thanks for all the information, its appreciated.  

Having spent the last couple of days going through the entire official Pukkelpop playlist on Spotify ive uncovered loads of new bands to check out, so now really looking forward to the festival and spending time in Hasselt.   A meet up on Friday would be great.  

21 hours ago, DJ_FrontsideWallride said:

Hi all! Long time lurker, first time poster.

This is me and my mates first time to Pukkelpop, any tips/ advice for first timers? 

Also what is the food & drink token system like when using it? Is it worth getting them beforehand?

Thanks see you there!

JP

The food and drink tickets are cheaper if you buy them beforehand (2.5 euros instead of 3 euros a ticket). This offer expires at July 31st, so be quick.

At the site, you will find the best food at Food Wood. Excellent food trucks over there. 

I always rent a locker, so you don't have to get back and forth to your tent if you need anything (sunscreen, sweater, clean t-shirt...) and don't have to carry a bag with you all the time. You could share one with your mates. 

The "special" beers include Grimbergen, Affligem (both a bit stronger) and a fruit beer (sweet and refreshing) and you can buy them for 1 ticket (2,5 euros) which is quite a bargain since you pay the same amount for a Maes or coke or water. 

If you are there on Wednesday, you will get the chance to discover half of the site already. Dance Hall, Boiler Room and Castello will be open to the public. Usually this first night is big fun and this year they have a pretty decent line-up of mostly local artists. You will be able to discover the other tents and the Main Stage + Food Wood from Thursday on. 

Don't miss out on Petit Bazar as well, it's a brilliant place. The programme hasn't been announced yet, but I'm always having a good time there. 

Which camp site are you on?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, DiscothequeDave said:

No, just a very poorly laid out website that gave the impression there were more names to come.

Anyway, last bit of hope for me to turn the Friday around is that Chic are still free and are playing quite a similar slot before NERD at Lowlands the day after. I'd be disappointed if the Pukkelpop organisers didn't at least ask the question.  'Get Lucky' with Pharrell would be a massive highlight with the old and the young. The Ostend gig may be the reason why they've not been announced as they announced that roughly the same time as Lowlands and maybe Pukkelpop piggybacked onto the idea of booking them, but I'm not getting my hopes up. The Ostend gig has nearly sold out of floor tickets but there's plenty of balcony seats left.

Chic will be playing in Brussels (AB) on the 19th and in Ostend on the 12th. I don't think they are going to add a third Belgian show in between. 

• Downvote 2

Thanks for all the advice everyone! Definitely going to buy some vouchers in a minute, and check out the food/drink situation outside the festival. Sounds super chilled. 

2 hours ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Anyway, last bit of hope for me to turn the Friday around is that Chic are still free and are playing quite a similar slot before NERD at Lowlands the day after. I'd be disappointed if the Pukkelpop organisers didn't at least ask the question.  'Get Lucky' with Pharrell would be a massive highlight with the old and the young. 

Chic would be sick, saw them at Bestival in 2014 and still one of the best acts I've ever seen (Although outkast the same weekend put a very high standard..) 

17 minutes ago, Chimme said:

The food and drink tickets are cheaper if you buy them beforehand (2.5 euros instead of 3 euros a ticket). This offer expires at July 31st, so be quick.

At the site, you will find the best food at Food Wood. Excellent food trucks over there. 

I always rent a locker, so you don't have to get back and forth to your tent if you need anything (sunscreen, sweater, clean t-shirt...) and don't have to carry a bag with you all the time. You could share one with your mates. 

The "special" beers include Grimbergen, Affligem (both a bit stronger) and a fruit beer (sweet and refreshing) and you can buy them for 1 ticket (2,5 euros) which is quite a bargain since you pay the same amount for a Maes or coke or water. 

If you are there on Wednesday, you will get the chance to discover half of the site already. Dance Hall, Boiler Room and Castello will be open to the public. Usually this first night is big fun and this year they have a pretty decent line-up of mostly local artists. You will be able to discover the other tents and the Main Stage + Food Wood from Thursday on. 

Don't miss out on Petit Bazar as well, it's a brilliant place. The programme hasn't been announced yet, but I'm always having a good time there. 

Which camp site are you on?

A locker will be a good idea actually, how much are they normally? And also any wifi/ charging places around?? 

We're at Relax campsite? Not too sure what the layout/distance of the campsites are to the arena. Which ssite are you in??

Oh also, worth bringing a sleeping bag? already have a camp bed and the weather (at least in the UK atm) is roasting so thinking of just bringing a sheet for a bit of light cover. What do you think?

23 minutes ago, Chimme said:

Chic will be playing in Brussels (AB) on the 19th and in Ostend on the 12th. I don't think they are going to add a third Belgian show in between. 

Neither do I but until they're ruled out and that slot is filled with some cheap unknown artist, I'm still clinging onto hope. Surely that slot could have been filled months ago.

On 7/25/2018 at 2:42 PM, Death By Sexy said:

Kaffee De Egel, Irish pub, less know than the tourist trap that is called the Irish Times Pub but far more cozy. Zuivelmarkt 64

In de kleine hal, one of the oldest bars in Hasselt, Maastrichterstraat 30

Belgium Belgium, a pop-up bar from the owners of Cafe Cafe (Cafe Cafe is closed due renovation), Botermarkt 21

Cafe Latino for the cocktails, Zuivelmarkt 12

Koks & Tales, excellent cocktailbar but expensive. They might be closed during PKP since they are hosting the secret cocktailbar on Pukkelpop, Schrijnwerkersstraat 9

I second De Egel. It's probably my favourite bar in Hasselt. And while I know it's their choice to do so, I think calling it an Irish Pub does it a disservice. Beyond the draught Guinness, a couple of Guinness ads on the wall and a couple of Irish whiskeys it's very typically Belgian in my opinion. And all the better for it.

Used to love the Hemelrijk, but all the atmosphere has gone out of that in recent years, and there seems to be a 'couldn't care less' attitude from the staff.

I'm quite partial to the Augustina. And the Export. And I see the Bierpunt, another former favourite, appears to have reopened after being closed last year?

18 minutes ago, Trufflehound said:

I second De Egel. It's probably my favourite bar in Hasselt. And while I know it's their choice to do so, I think calling it an Irish Pub does it a disservice. Beyond the draught Guinness, a couple of Guinness ads on the wall and a couple of Irish whiskeys it's very typically Belgian in my opinion. And all the better for it.

Used to love the Hemelrijk, but all the atmosphere has gone out of that in recent years, and there seems to be a 'couldn't care less' attitude from the staff.

I'm quite partial to the Augustina. And the Export. And I see the Bierpunt, another former favourite, appears to have reopened after being closed last year?

De Egel also has a cocktail consisting of Guiness, Whiskey and a raw egg. Nasty drink.

Hemelrijk is a bar with 400+ beers, prices are okay. They also have 20+ tastes of jenever, the traditional liquor of Hasselt. Like Trufflehound mentioned, the atmosphere is a bit bizarre. The owners can act weird sometimes.  (Hemelrijk 11)

Bierpunt has reopened indeed. They also have a large selection of beers. They only have Belgian beers though, but I don't think that's a problem for the most people in this topic :) (Zuivelmarkt 29)  

2 hours ago, DJ_FrontsideWallride said:

Thanks for all the advice everyone! Definitely going to buy some vouchers in a minute, and check out the food/drink situation outside the festival. Sounds super chilled. 

Chic would be sick, saw them at Bestival in 2014 and still one of the best acts I've ever seen (Although outkast the same weekend put a very high standard..) 

A locker will be a good idea actually, how much are they normally? And also any wifi/ charging places around?? 

We're at Relax campsite? Not too sure what the layout/distance of the campsites are to the arena. Which ssite are you in??

Oh also, worth bringing a sleeping bag? already have a camp bed and the weather (at least in the UK atm) is roasting so thinking of just bringing a sheet for a bit of light cover. What do you think?

Can't say much about the weather for now...last year it was pretty cold and wet. If the temperatures stay as high as they are now, you won't need a sleeping bag, but in all those years visiting Pukkelpop I've never been able to leave my sleeping bag at home, so that would be a first ?

Relax camp site is pretty far away from the festival site. Half an hour walk I'd guess, but there is a shuttle service.

A locker will cost you about 30 euros for the entire duration of the festival (4 days), but if you pick one of the larger lockers you can share it with your mate(s).

About wifi and recharging: wifi's available and there are recharge points, as well as power banks that you can rent for the price of a food ticket. 

Edited by Chimme
  • Downvote 1

23 hours ago, Death By Sexy said:

I'd like to be part of the unofficial meeting. I don't have a smartphone though, so I need it to be planned in advance. 

You can see the boiler in the video. The one in the back is the marquee. 

Excellent - the more the merrier!! :D Thought that tent looked a bit small for the Marquee but it is far away so hard to tell. Judging by the position of it doesn't look like they're going to put anything else behind it (as the Lift was last year and Club and Shelter before then).

Looking at the schedule for Friday and potential meet up times, I've got nothing on before 15.00 and then a gap from about 17.00-18.30. Happy to go with what suits the majority though so feel free to fire over suggestions? Might be easier to decide on a venue once the map comes out and we know what's there but the Pukkelpop Cafe/pub is definitely a good shout.

My must-sees on Friday would be:

12.35 Whispering Sons

16.45 Sudan Archives

18.50 METZ

19.50 John Maus

20.50 Benjamin Clementine

21.45 Amenra

22.45 Rhye

00.00 Sons Of Kemet

01.00 Madensuyu

So there's quite some time for me to grab a pint: from 11 AM till 12.30 PM and from 1PM till 4.30 PM.

Looking forward to meeting (some of) you. Pukkelpop Café is probably a good meeting point.

Looks like 1pm-3pm on friday is a good time for a meeting!

90% of camping chill is sold. I wonder how many people have chosen Relax over Chill because of the price. 

Marquee is up! Picture beneath is the Marquee.

Boiler Room looks like last last year: 3/4 with roof, 1/4 without. 

38005595_10215288104988278_3189476154624966656_n.jpg

Edited by Death By Sexy
  • Upvote 1