Pukkelpop 2018

DDave

It on the whole has just felt like they have gone out of their way to get the cheapest line up possible, yesterdays moving of the line up (without letting on, of course) left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth tbh. Bumping the Belgian acts up to spots that could and should have been filled with more well known international bands will only hurt the festival in my opinion. Every stage is poorer this year compared to last year barring the main stage and that's debatable. 

There's enough to keep me going on the Thursday and Saturday and I know I'll have a good time regardless. May not come across but I'm really, really looking forward to it. It's just frustrating when a few choice additions could make this a belter of a year. Thoroughly expecting the remaining slots to be filled with similar below par cheap stuff.

26 days to go!

Edited by DiscothequeDave

I agree with Dave. I'm really looking forward to the festival, just a bit disappointed with the lineup. I totally understand it is a Belgian festival and fully support the promotion of Belgian acts on the lineup, I just think there are some gaps in the quality of the international acts this year. Maybe my taste is stuck in the past and perhaps I should accept that Travis Scott is the future!

Thursday is one of the best festival lineups that I have seen in a while, perfectly suits my taste (and my girlfriends taste) there's so much good stuff. Saturday is packed with new (to me) acts, and I'm really looking forward to Roisin/Jungle/Justice which is a great run. It's just the Friday. I have found a few bands that I want to see, but the main stage (for me) is one of the weaker festival days I have been to in a while.

As I say, I am really looking forward to the festival but for next year, I might have to wait for the lineup before I think about booking as it's getting expensive now and I wonder if seeking an alternative might be an option next year (by way of comparison, for me NOS alive cost about the same with flights/hotel/tickets and their lineup was incredible. That being said the festival itself isn't a patch on PKP)

• Upvote 1

I don't think any of us international visitors have an issue with Belgian bands playing PKP - most of us have been a good few times so know what to expect. It's healthy for festivals to give opportunities to artists from their country as that's one of the main ways they progress and become headliners in their own right. PKP has always championed home grown talent and I think we all respect that and think it's a good thing. I must admit that when most of them played in the Wablief? I rarely went in there but even so I thought it was a good thing when they got rid of it and spread them around all the stages.

I haven't counted (as I'm not actually sure which artists are Belgian) but it definitely feels like this edition has more than any other I've been to. Maybe they've had to save money after booking AF and Kendrick? I'm willing to bet those two on their own cost as much as the whole set of headliners we had last year. 

Watched Dua Lipa on the Tomorrowland stream yesterday. If you like it or not, she is going to fill the main stage area easy.

Works are progressing on the site. I am pretty sure the Lift will be the same as the La Petite Maison De Prairie of Dour or a smaller version of it. (the black stage).

efest.jpg

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Death By Sexy said:

Waiting for my pay at the end of the month to buy a shitload of drink tickets :D 

BTW: What happened to Gavin James? He was rumoured to play on PKP? Will he be in the last set of names?

Not sure - this is where I got the leak from http://hb-people.de/musik/gavin-james-kuendigt-album-an/ 

Most of them are correct, but no Pukkelpop and not on Electric Picnics line up either. Odd one. Only space left for him would be the Main stage slot before N*E*R*D so could happen.

1 hour ago, Death By Sexy said:

I am not sure about it, but maybe they are moving the marquee too. The tent they were building on the place of the marquee was way to small to be the marquee.

Not for most of the bands playing in it this year :-)

Keep us updated.

On 7/23/2018 at 11:59 AM, Chimme said:

By the way, if any of the international visitors here would like to have a drink with this Belgian geezer while contemplating the quality of the line-up, you are very welcome ?

I'm always up for an Efests meet so give me a shout beforehand and we'll get something arranged. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Semprini said:

I'm always up for an Efests meet so give me a shout beforehand and we'll get something arranged. 

Fine!

I'll buy some extra drink tickets, then. ?

Edited by Chimme
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, Chimme said:

Fine!

I'll buy some extra drink tickets, then. ?

Tickets now booked and starting to do the research into acts thave ive not heard of to uncover some gems.   Friday looks like the best day to meet up but will probably head up later than usual and spend some time in Hasselt.  Ive been a number of times so it would be good to hear from locals on hidden bars off the beaten track that are worth checking out?  

6 minutes ago, jimmyjimmy4080 said:

Tickets now booked and starting to do the research into acts thave ive not heard of to uncover some gems.   Friday looks like the best day to meet up but will probably head up later than usual and spend some time in Hasselt.  Ive been a number of times so it would be good to hear from locals on hidden bars off the beaten track that are worth checking out?  

Kaffee De Egel, Irish pub, less know than the tourist trap that is called the Irish Times Pub but far more cozy. Zuivelmarkt 64

In de kleine hal, one of the oldest bars in Hasselt, Maastrichterstraat 30

Belgium Belgium, a pop-up bar from the owners of Cafe Cafe (Cafe Cafe is closed due renovation), Botermarkt 21

Cafe Latino for the cocktails, Zuivelmarkt 12

Koks & Tales, excellent cocktailbar but expensive. They might be closed during PKP since they are hosting the secret cocktailbar on Pukkelpop, Schrijnwerkersstraat 9

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Hi all! Long time lurker, first time poster.

This is me and my mates first time to Pukkelpop, any tips/ advice for first timers? 

Also what is the food & drink token system like when using it? Is it worth getting them beforehand?

Thanks see you there!

JP

Edited by DJ_FrontsideWallride
bad spelling of basic words

19 minutes ago, DJ_FrontsideWallride said:

Hi all! Long time lurker, first time poster.

This is me and my mates first time to Pukkelpop, any tips/ advice for first timers? 

Also what is the food & drink token system like when using it? Is it worth getting them beforehand?

Thanks see you there!

JP

Food and drinks is a piece of piss and yes it's worth buying them before hand. Basically you print off the food and drinks tickets, exchange them on site for real tickets and then exchange them at the bars/food outlets when you want drinks and food. It's 1 token for half a pint basically so works out about 5 euros a pint. There is also a special beers tent which is good as the beer (Maes) isn't the best over a long session. food works out a bit more expensive at something like 3 tickets for a burger so about 7.50.  The festival is over the road from a residential area and people open stalls on their front lawns - their food is loads cheaper (cash not tokens) and very nice too. They also served beer much cheaper than inside the site so you can nip in and out of the site which again takes no time at all.

It's the most organised festival I've been to and going for a beer and the toilet takes a minimum amount of time. You can get a good spot at most of the sets, the atmosphere is great and everyone is very friendly. You'll have a great time.

Edited by DiscothequeDave
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Food and drinks is a piece of piss and yes it's worth buying them before hand. Basically you print off the food and drinks tickets, exchange them on site for real tickets and then exchange them at the bars/food outlets when you want drinks and food. It's 1 token for half a pint basically so works out about 5 euros a pint. There is also a special beers tent which is good as the beer (Maes) isn't the best over a long session. food works out a bit more expensive at something like 3 tickets for a burger so about 7.50.  The festival is over the road from a residential area and people open stalls on their front lawns - their food is loads cheaper (cash not tokens) and very nice too. They also served beer much cheaper than inside the site so you can nip in and out of the site which again takes no time at all.

It's the most organised festival I've been to and going for a beer and the toilet takes a minimum amount of time. You can get a good spot at most of the sets, the atmosphere is great and everyone is very friendly. You'll have a great time.

Awesome thanks dude! This was exactly the kind of thing i wanted to hear, definitely going to get some vouchers payday. You going this year? If so who are you looking forward to? 

Was also wondering what are they like bringing drink etc into the campsite? Would it be worth buying a couple of crates for the campsite then just top up when in the arena?