Pukkelpop 2018

DDave

5 hours ago, DiscothequeDave said:

I know there is, not sure you've been able to buy tickets for it though, I may be wrong though.

Franky (the tour guy) told me last year that they've sold VIP tickets for a few editions now. Don't think they publicise it too widely, which is surprising bearing in mind they've now started charging for some of the camping. He said he didn't like it as a lot of them were bellends who thought they were big time because they were 'backstage'. Think he had to take some of them on tours and they were often quite obnoxious and high maintenance.

5 hours ago, Death By Sexy said:

The site mentions a VIP zone at the main stage, I've never seen that one to be honest.

As you face the Main, it's to the left on the opposite side of the road. They run a little shuttle bus round the back of the site between that area and the VIP lounge opposite the Boiler. There's a a bigger range of drinks available (with a cash bar) and you can have them in an actual glass but aside from that there's not much benefit really. You can technically wander round the back stage but there's security on every entrance to all the parts that actually matter so it's not like you'll be able to get on any stages (or even close to the areas behind most of them).

There is still Rock Herk this weekend with Triggerfinger and Arsenal. But I can't see how Rock Herk can order Pukkelpop to wait to announce these names.  

I've got a feeling the names won't be artists/bands who played Werchter or Dour. Solange was announced ridiculously late, depite having canceled Dour months prior to the festival.

15 minutes ago, Death By Sexy said:

There is a tent set up near the entrance. I guess it will be the Castello. Material for another tent is being set up at the main stage area, beside the road. Since they mentioned that The Castello and The lift will be next to the road, I think this will be the Lift.

pkp16-map2.png

Makes sense if this indie disco thing is to work. People from the Marquee, Club and Lift stage are more likely to go into it if it's on the way out rather than having to walk through the dance area to get to it.

Edited by DiscothequeDave

Found this map from last year: 

763?appId=2dc96dd3f167e919913d808324cbfeb2&quality=0.8

For me there's a couple of things that could do with addressing in terms of site lay out. Firstly, any stage, whether it's the old Shelter, Club or last year the Lift, that is behind the Boiler suffers massively from sound bleed. The Marquee gets away with it because of the direction it's facing (the sounds from that stage is effectively between the crowd and the Boiler) but anything else is severely impacted by the constant heavy bass that rumbles through.

Secondly, I love the open area at the back of the Boiler (the circular set up in 2016 was superb as the positioning of the speakers made it almost like a 360 surround sound experience as you stepped into it) but there wasn't enough space really for people to pass through as they went to the Dance Hall, Castello (not a problem now) and Booth. Wednesday night was particularly bad as it was rammed and became a bit of a hassle just being there or trying to move through. I know people will always take the shortest route to wherever they're going but at times it felt like there was a constant flow of people walking backwards and forwards. I wonder if there's any mileage in swapping the Dance Hall and Boiler around? The set up of the Dance Hall means people wouldn't cut through the tent and that would still leave plenty of space behind the Boiler for whatever they decide to do with the open area.

I'm sorry to hear that some of you won't be coming over for Pukkelpop this year :-(

I'm getting a bit older too, but looking at the bill, it's still one of the best festivals around for discovering new bands in all genres. (For example, I'd never heard of Tame Impala when they came to Hasselt in 2010, but look at them now. They were playing a small tent at noon back then).

This year, I am especially looking forward to the Friday gigs, contrary to most people here it seems?!?

Whispering Sons is a great band, I've been waiting a long time to see Metz, John Maus and Rhye; then there's my absolute favorite band of this edition Sons Of Kemet and really interesting stuff like Moaning, Nakhane, Sudan Archives, JD McPherson, Benjamin Clementine...

Also the best two (live) bands in Belgium are playing that day, Amenra and Madensuyu. 

How could this Friday ever be "the worst Pukkelpop day ever"? I really wonder.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, Death By Sexy said:

Ah, this sucks. I really can't stand Bazart.

They've bumped J Bernardt up to the main from the Club. What a disappointment. Obviously weren't willing to open the wallet out for a more well known booking.

Lowest selling Pukkelpop in years coming up I think.

Wonder if someone let them down late in the day? Pretty disappointing that they had a big spot up top on the lineup then just threw it away.

I was looking back over the past years and (for my taste) there really has been a decline in quality. I think that you can see the rot set in from 2013 to 2014 really. Although has the Saturday gone ahead in 2011 that might have been the low water mark!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheNewUnion said:

Wonder if someone let them down late in the day? Pretty disappointing that they had a big spot up top on the lineup then just threw it away.

I was looking back over the past years and (for my taste) there really has been a decline in quality. I think that you can see the rot set in from 2013 to 2014 really. Although has the Saturday gone ahead in 2011 that might have been the low water mark!

Even at this stage they should easily be able to get a half decent name to cover that spot. Plenty of potential names about. The question for them has to be is there anyone worth booking that is going to make a significant difference to the ticket sales at this stage and the answer is probably not. Clearly a money saving exercise to me. The cynical part of me thinks that there was never any intention to book someone for that spot in the first place.

Pity as you say they've now wasted what could have been a good spot.

What disturbs me even more than the overall quality of the lineup is the blatant communication error. If you're trying to reel in another last minute subheadliner, don't let the audience know if it ain't a 100% done deal yet. Just keep the timetable to yourself for another week rather than letting people down like this.

How many of those communicative mishaps have we already had in the past few years?

Edited by Dietediet
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Dietediet said:

What disturbs me even more than the overall quality of the lineup is the blatant communication error. If you're trying to reel in another last minute subheadliner, don't let the audience know if it ain't a 100% done deal yet. Just keep the timetable to yourself for another week rather than letting people down like this.

How many of those communicative mishaps have we already had in the past few years?

First time you've posted for a while. Hope you are well. Are you going to Pkp this year?

15 hours ago, Chimme said:

This year, I am especially looking forward to the Friday gigs, contrary to most people here it seems?!?

Whispering Sons is a great band, I've been waiting a long time to see Metz, John Maus and Rhye; then there's my absolute favorite band of this edition Sons Of Kemet and really interesting stuff like Moaning, Nakhane, Sudan Archives, JD McPherson, Benjamin Clementine...

Also the best two (live) bands in Belgium are playing that day, Amenra and Madensuyu. 

How could this Friday ever be "the worst Pukkelpop day ever"? I really wonder.

As mentioned above, I agree with you about the Friday. Just because there are no stellar international names won't make it a bad day.

Whispering Sons, John Maus, Amenra and Madensuyu are all very good live. I liked Moaning enough at BKS this year to give them another go. I'll probably give Steak Number Eight another chance as well, even if they were not as good as I'd hoped last year.

Thought Metz were shit last time I saw them a few years ago, but someone (I can't remember who) assured me recently that they have improved beyond recognition. And I'm looking forward to seeing Sons Of Kemet and JD McPherson. 

14 hours ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Clearly a money saving exercise to me. The cynical part of me thinks that there was never any intention to book someone for that spot in the first place.

Pity as you say they've now wasted what could have been a good spot.

If you could've booked Lana Del Rey or Shawn Mendes (who are playing Sziget) or you can choose Bazart and Oscar & The Wolf for a way lower booking fee.. I'm not suggesting that they were on the watch list for PKP but I think we can all agree that certain bookings are just odd and could've been replaced by international names.. Idk what they were thinking this year after they've done so well last year tho.

Every single thing or change they've done compared to last year is to either save money or to gain extra money.

I was thinking of going for 1 day (Thursday) but honestly they deserve a shite year.

1 hour ago, Trufflehound said:

As mentioned above, I agree with you about the Friday. Just because there are no stellar international names won't make it a bad day.

Whispering Sons, John Maus, Amenra and Madensuyu are all very good live. I liked Moaning enough at BKS this year to give them another go. I'll probably give Steak Number Eight another chance as well, even if they were not as good as I'd hoped last year.

Thought Metz were shit last time I saw them a few years ago, but someone (I can't remember who) assured me recently that they have improved beyond recognition. And I'm looking forward to seeing Sons Of Kemet and JD McPherson. 

It will be Steak Number Eight's last festival gig. After PKP they will play 2 indoor shows, and after that, they will change the band name/concept/genre/.... There is'nt a lot of information about what Steak Number Eight will do in the future, but the band at its current form will end this year and will transform into something different.

4 hours ago, arcuse said:

If you could've booked Lana Del Rey or Shawn Mendes (who are playing Sziget) or you can choose Bazart and Oscar & The Wolf for a way lower booking fee.. I'm not suggesting that they were on the watch list for PKP but I think we can all agree that certain bookings are just odd and could've been replaced by international names.. Idk what they were thinking this year after they've done so well last year tho.

Every single thing or change they've done compared to last year is to either save money or to gain extra money.

I was thinking of going for 1 day (Thursday) but honestly they deserve a shite year.

Who do you think attracts bigger crowds in Belgium: Bazart + Oscar & The Wolf, or Lana Del Rey + Shawn Mendes? ?

After all, it is a festival in BELGIUM you know. 

• Downvote 2

10 minutes ago, Chimme said:

Who do you think attracts bigger crowds in Belgium: Bazart + Oscar & The Wolf, or Lana Del Rey + Shawn Mendes? ?

Well.. They've already given a prime spot to Charlotte De Witte in the Boiler, one to Goose in the Dancehall, Trixie Withley and Amenra get big spots in the Marquee and then I'm not mentioning Tamino, Bazart, Oscar & The Wolf, J. Bernardt or Tourist Lemc.. Most of these artists are already easy to see during the year in smaller clubs or concert halls and I'd rather see something like The War On Drugs, Lana Del Rey or Shawn Mendes sub then some overhyped Belgian band lol.

It comes very cheap over tbh, not only nationally but also in wider scheme of things.

Edited by arcuse
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Chimme said:

6 minutes ago, arcuse said:

Well.. They've already given a prime spot to Charlotte De Witte in the Boiler, one to Goose in the Dancehall, Trixie Withley and Amenra get big spots in the Marquee and then I'm not mentioning Tamino, Bazart, Oscar & The Wolf, J. Bernardt or Tourist Lemc.. Most of these artists are already easy to see during the year in smaller clubs or concert halls and I'd rather see something like The War On Drugs, Lana Del Rey or Shawn Mendes sub then some overhyped Belgian band lol.

It comes very cheap over tbh, not only nationally but also in wider scheme of things.

+ High spots for Belgian artists might scare possible visitors from other countries. Oscar and The Wolf is unknown outside Belgium and The Netherlands. Why would people travel to Pukkelpop when one of the three days is headlined by someone you totally don't know.

+ Oscar and The Wolf and Bazart are performing in the Sportpaleis this year. They also did it last year. Oscar and the Wolf also was sub at Werchter Boutique. If you wanted to see them as Belgian, you had plenty of chances the last years.

And why do you want Shawn Mendes at Pukkelpop? :D

8 minutes ago, arcuse said:

Well, The War On Drugs will be there, no? And "some overhyped Belgian band" comes across as a bit of a blunt remark tbh. The big spots for Amenra and Goose are well deserved imo. Just two f*cking great bands. 

I'm not really bothered with Oscar & The Wolf and Bazart either, but I wouldn't want to see them being replaced by someone like Shawn Mendes, actually. 

• Downvote 1

Just now, Death By Sexy said:

Because just like Post Malone, Dua Lipa or Harry Styles he'd be a big get for the younger audience and some refreshing pop act. I mean in 2014 we had Ed Sheeran subbing?

2 minutes ago, Death By Sexy said:

+ High spots for Belgian artists might scare possible visitors from other countries. Oscar and The Wolf is unknown outside Belgium and The Netherlands. Why would people travel to Pukkelpop when one of the three days is headlined by someone you totally don't know.

+ Oscar and The Wolf and Bazart are performing in the Sportpaleis this year. They also did it last year. Oscar and the Wolf also was sub at Werchter Boutique. If you wanted to see them as Belgian, you had plenty of chances the last years.

If you go to festivals in other countries, you will discover a lot of local artists in the line-up as well. So what's the problem with that? It's not because they're local that they're bad. 

At Lowlands, they have De Staat, Spinvis, De Jeugd Van Tegenwoordig,  Blaudzun,...most foreigners won't know them either. But that doesn't mean that those bands suck. 

• Downvote 1